Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Edwardian Steam Launch build  (Read 28455 times)

boneash

• Full Mayhemer
  • In an actual war zone there are 2 types of ships,
Re: Edwardian Steam Launch build
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 07:51:04 pm »

Bear in mind I can hack some branches of that monster ash at the bottom of the garden!!
There is a smaller oak too if you decide to go that way!

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 05:38:28 pm »

Due to Christmas and the cold spell, progress slowed on the launch construction. I finally re-arranged my small work shed and abandoned the freezing garage and progress has picked up at last.

I decided to use cedar for the frames and stringers since they should be tolerant of any damp that might seep in – they’re going to be epoxied anyway.

I’m glad I didn’t dispose of the mould boards, because they’ve been so useful for constructing the frames. I made a gluing “station” with the frame shape drawn from the appropriate mould board, waxed the surface and then hammered a series of pins for the frame outline allowing some extra curvature to compensate for the frame springing back on release from the board.

I used four strips of 1/16 x ¼ inch cedar to form a laminate frame of ¼ x ¼ inch. Initially I tried dry bending these to shape, then gluing and clamping. Although the bending  was done slowly, I was getting 20% failure as the laminate was bent initially or rebent with the glue.

I didn’t want to steam bend because it was too cold out side and I didn’t want my machine tools getting wet with condensation, also, I didn’t want to wait for the wood to dry before gluing.

I remembered that you can fire-bend bamboo, so, I thought I’ll try “fire-bending” cedar. After a couple of experiments with my brazing torch, I found that by spring clamping one end of the laminate to the pin board and quickly “wiping” it with the narrow flame, the wood would bend like soft plastic to the shape of the pin layout whereby it could be clamped and allowed to cool for 30 seconds.

Removing the laminates, it could be seen that only the outer surface was lightly scorched and between the laminates it was clear. The epoxy was then applied and the laminated frame refitted to the board to cure in front of the radiator. (See photo)

Having developed this method the frames rolled off like a production line – I even ended up with two spare ribs!

Having used the mould boards as reference, I found the frames fitted the hull well and were lightly sprung into position using temporary pins whilst the epoxy cured (See photo). Having closely followed the extremely helpful “Jerry’s S.L. Wear” thread, I was very careful to check that the beam dimensions were not affected by fitting the frames.

I then had to tackle the inwale and bilge stringers. These again were of cedar 3/8 x 1 inch and at over 6 foot had to incorporate scarfed joints.

For the inwale stringers, I placed a board along the hull and traced the line onto it, applied screws every few inches and used it as a flame bending board (see photo) . This time I used a 1600W heat gun which was quite successful. The cedar took up the basic curve, but I didn’t appreciate the complex path that the stringer takes betwixt stern and bow. Still after a lot of twisting with clamps and more heat, the cedar bent to the required shape.

After each heat-bend I would have to allow it 30 seconds to cool down before releasing the bending force. I also found that I had to stop if I heard the wood creaking. I felt that the wood was too dry on one occasion, so I left it in water for a couple of hours to increase it moisture content before further heat bending. It was best to try an achieve the correct bend on the first attempt before the wood and lignum dries out.

The bilge stringers were even more convoluted and they were constructed using two scarf joints each which  eased the heat-bending process.

I found that about 0.6mm thickness was lost in the most scorched  areas.

The mould boards again came in use for the floor beam construction, which, now fitted (see photo) , are allowing the initial location of the Stuart D10 and prop tube.

Ian

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 06:20:03 pm »

You've probably noticed how incredibly light and strong the hull is. When the deck, rubbing strands etc are added it becomes even stronger. At the stage you are now was when I set all beam dimentions with temporary cross members over the deck and then epoxied the inner surfaces completely. I was surprised at how much epoxy came right through the grain. (Not the joints). It all paid off as I have no leaks. The only source of water is the steam plant. When I want to give the insides a good clean I just spray everything with flash and hose it out. (After removing the receiver). She's really looking good. It's a (justified) self satisfying experience isn't it? Give yourself a well earned pat on the back.
Jerry.

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 06:57:56 pm »

Hi Jerry,

You're dead right about how the hull stiffens up, but remains so light - it was a pleasent surprize.

When I did the veneering on the outside, I too was surprised how the epoxy oozed through the grain despite adding lots of filler to the epoxy - it is one of the causes of the current mottled appearance, I think it will clean off though.

I tried "sighting" along the floors to line them up, but most of them were so far away I couldn't focus on them! I used the strip planking as a reference, since they were fairly symetrical about the hog.

Thanks very much for your advice - your S.L. Wear thread has been such a useful guide.

Cheers

Ian

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 04:05:26 pm »

Hi Mayhemers,

The launch has had its prop tube and laminated keel fitted plus additional laminations on the clipper bow on which to attach some brass banding.

I have followed Alan’s “Alaska” build  method of machining the prop tube guide in two halves. I used a 12mm bull-nose cutter on the milling machine and then opened it up slightly using sandpaper wound around a piece of ½ inch brass; this gave the tube a very close fit. I made it so that I could cut it at an angle to supply both the external and internal parts of the guide separated by the hog. The hog had an angled bore cut to take the ½ inch brass prop tube.

I made a full size template of the keel out of 6mm MDF, which made the fitting of the laminated keel and prop guide much easier to cut and sand to shape.

The prop tube had a phosphor-bronze (Colphos 90) bush fitted at each end (thanks to Jerry and his SL Wear build), one end threaded (1/2 inch 32TPI) to take the stuffing gland nut and the other end with a brass plate that screws into the wooden prop guide.

I’m mounting the engine and bearing blocks on one sheet of 2.5mm aluminium with angles fitted along the edges for rigidity and to act as an oil bund.

The 3/8th inch (9.5mm) prop shaft was noticed to have a slight bend in it, so its been on the kitchen work surface and “adjusted” to try and eliminate the problem, though its still not perfect.

With the slight bend in mind, I’ve clocked the shaft in a few locations to quantify the problem and I’ve got a throw of +/- 15um (+/-0.6 thou) at the stuffing gland, +/- 25um (+/- 1.0 thou) between the bearings and +/- 30um (+/- 1.2 thou) at the engine coupling.

The bearing housings have been machined with the bearing land at 3.6deg to the vertical to reflect the prop shaft angle to the mounting plate.

I shall push ahead now with the “dry” mounting of the major mechanical parts, including any associated carpentry, and then give the internal wood a final coat of epoxy.

May I express my appreciation of the Mayhemers’ builds that are such a useful guide.

Ian.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 04:26:01 pm »

Ian, I've only just picked up on how BIG your launch is. I read 3/8" shaft in 1/2" tube and I thought wait a minute that's big stuff. My Wear's only 3' long!  You won't be needing any r/c gear. A small (well trained) child and a megaphone or walkie talkie will suffice. Lol.
Jerry.

Stavros

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 05:52:50 pm »

is this the PROPER Jerry c or Mermod as I am totally confused.com.........flashtwo can wait to see this one at Mayhem

Dave

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 07:55:57 pm »

A lovely job there Ian. I'm interested to know what the arrangement is for the stern gland, it looks from the picture like the nut is threaded onto the sterntube without a gland as such, but that could be my eyesight?!

Also, I wondered if you had one of the plummer blocks set up with an integral thrust bearing?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 10:43:35 am »

Hi Greg,

The stern gland is the same successful arrangement that I had on "Vital Byte" (same nut!) and the seal is made by winding graphited yarn around the shaft and tightening the nut. The nut is then backed off until the shaft turns freely. The 26 mm long phosphor-bronze bush is silver soldered into the prop tube and about 12mm of that protruding is threaded. At least on the new boat the gland will be easier to access than on "Vital Byte". The prop tube is designed to be removable, so, if there are any design problems, I can take another stab at it.

One thing not fitted yet is a metal plate that stops the nut from turning once set.

The bearing blocks are also from "Vital Byte". As luck would have it, the shaft angles were within 0.3 of a degree of each other, so very little adjustment was necessary. The two adjustable brass collars are used as thrust blocks on the basis that the ball races can take a bit of axial thrust (been ok so far). A third brass collar will be fitted between the bearings to carry the magnet for engine RPM measurement; this used to be on the engine shaft and was a nuisance when working on the engine.

One thing of concern for such a boat length is hogging and subsequent misalignment of the power train. This happened with "Vital Byte" at the Guildford Steam Rally, but under the extreme condition of the demonstration pond water being at 27degC!

What arrangements do full size launches have for their long prop shafts?

Hi Jerry,

You should see the photos of the "A Team Boatyard" 15 foot model of HMS Daring without the superstructure, but with a couple of kids on board (closely supervised) - it can be done. The reason I ended up with a 75 inch / 18 inch beam hull was because the 5 inch prop I've got with the Stuart D10 dictated the scaling from the drawings.

Ian

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:48 am »

Yes Ian, I saw Daring at Ellesmere Port last year. Very impressive as is your launch. Will she be ready for the Coniston Regatta end of May? It's for 1:1 boats but gondolier 88 has kindly invited some steam launch models to participate.
Jerry.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19:32 pm »

Hi Ian,

That's very interesting on the gland, if you did find that there was too much let-by or you had to have it too tight and caused too much friction you might wish to try PTFE tape- it's worked perfectly for me in glands of 'tight' persuasion in the past.

I see the brass collar now you point it out.

Re. the hogging issue- first off, Vital Byte's inherent flaw is that she is flat bottomed, fixing anything to the hull along the centreline simply creates a 'bi-metallic' strip (but one half being of wood!), and the further away from the stress you get along the keel, the more exaggerated the issue becomes at the extremes of the boat- so the prop shaft binds and seizes and cracks can appear at the base of the stem.

Full size boats are, as you assume, no different. And the problem is tenfold as the exaggeration of the curve is across a so much longer length, however, as with your Edwardian hull, the subtle curves of a well designed hull do far more than provide a hole in the water to put a steam plant in (and throw money down, of course). Launches typically have straight keels- this is great for a boat with a straight shaft and reduces deadwood and amount of timber that has to be bored to receive the sterntube. However, this in itself creates problems, as the boat relies on the keel keeping it's line to perform properly. In boats such as this a number of methods are employed to tie the keel in as rigid a position as possible;

Floors; bulkheads that go over the keel- very much in the manner yours do in your model- however they are each one through bolted through the hog and keel. They rise up from the keel, fitted to each plank- with a limber hole either side of the keel- for around 4-5 planks up.

Stringer; self explanatory, much used in both models and full size- however in full size it is important they are tied properly to the grown frames...

Grown frames- these are traditionally sawn from curved grown oak, these span over the keel and up each side to the gunwhales. They are through bolted or rivetted to each plank. The grown frames on a larger launch- say a 35-40ft version of your launch- would have grown frames at every 4ft station along the hull. In modern launches the grown frames are now often laminated. In between the grown frames are...

Steamed frames; the main structural component in any traditional boat from a 10ft pram to a 120ft yacht, and I'm sure you're well aware of their use.

Bearers; over the top, and often let into the floor timbers, are bearers which carry the boiler and engine- these are very important as they cancel the 'bending moment' caused by differential expansion- in boats with a flat run aft these bearers can run all the way to the shaft log.

Shaft log; as in a model really, except in large launches it can be made box section- similar to a hollow box mast construction- this produces a much stronger more rigid frame for the sterntube.

Another point that is overlooked often is the shaft itself, in a solid shaft of, say, 2.5" dia., over a 16-18ft length it will put up with a surprising amount of flexing. A good thrust bearing- either engine mounted or inline is a must.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 11:02:34 am »

Hi Mayhemers,

I'm afraid the construction of the launch became very disjointed last year due to "more important" jobs on the house (garden fence, new garage roof, new soak-away etc.) and to top it all I had a major system problem on the old computer and replaced it with a Windows 8 losing some picture files on the way.

The steam plant and controls were all successfully transferred from the old Vital Byte into the launch with only new piping and wiring required.

To test the launch at home, I've built a substantial test pond 2.5m long and 1 metre wide containing 0.6 tonne of water. I also had to construct a travelling crane and pulley to lift the 35kg launch from it’s trailer into the pond.

The launch is not 100% complete, since it requires deck fittings and all the minutia that make it a model of the real thing. Fortunately, last Monday at Bewl Water in Kent, there was a Steam Boat Association meeting where I manage to take detailed photos of the marvellous “Sans Son” (a Selway Fisher design and one of the launches that mine is based on). These photos will enable me to complete the finer features of the model.

Well, the good news is that the launch will be appearing at Wicksteed this coming weekend, since yesterday it had a very successful maiden voyage at the Heron's Model Boat Club at Herne Bay (Kent). Having given the engine a good clean, especially removing gunge from the steam chests and resetting the timing, the fuel consumption figures were the best ever at 3.8g/min, which would give a theoretical  120 min endurance with a 460g gas cylinder. The engine was still turning at 140RPM just with the burner pilot light operating!

Looking forward to a great Wicksteed!

Ian.

The new launch is named "Vital Byte 10", since it the second model of that name.

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »

Hi Mayhemers,

“Vital Byte 10” performed beautifully at Wicksteed 2014 weekend despite the rain, storm, mud, the “2014 event” and the Scottish contingent’s hospitality!

I had one problem with loose connector to the gas control valve servo, which stopped the valve from opening and another problem with the mechanical connection between the same servo and the gas valve itself; both problems possibly caused by juddering whilst transporting the boat across the rough concrete path.

The mechanical connection problem was caused by the clamping collar shifting on the servo splines, causing the gas valve to stay open when required to be closed. It was first noticed during a demonstration in front of a large audience, when a higher than normal gas flow was present and the boiler raised pressure in record time. Vital Byte 10 then shot off at record speed around the pond without me being able to stop her by shutting the valve. What we couldn’t see from the shore was the control system battling to stop the steam temperature going really high; the system must have setting the feed pumps to high flow on occasions whenever the temperature went above 182degC.

I brought her back to shore and managed to use the software settings to close the valve without having to get the tool box out; from then on she again performed beautifully (the onlookers word not mine!).

Many thanks for all those that organised Wicksteed – Martin and family, Steamboatphil, Stavros, Klunk and the always welcome Scots.

In the photographs the bow is riding high because I forgot to put the ballast in!

Next weekend Alford!

Ian

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2014, 02:46:15 pm »

Hi Mayhemers,

At Wicksteed 2014, SteamboatPhil soundly suggested that I clad the boiler to hide the stainless steel boiler casing (it was originally a toilet brush holder!), and here is the result.

I'm gradually progressing with all the small deck fittings - cleats etc.

The flags have been "made" in Chatham Historic Dockyard's Colour Loft where my daughter has had her art studio for the last two years.

Ian

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2014, 09:00:19 am »

Hi,

"Vital Byte 10" will be at the West Sussex Model Show, Sumner Ponds on Sunday 22nd June.

Ian.

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 09:49:39 am »

Hi Mayhemers,

Yesterday, Vital Byte 10 had a very successful steam around the Sumner Ponds.

Although the muddy pond edge made the launch and recovery a bit difficult, this was overcome with the much appreciated help from Mac, Sean and fellow club members from the “Warship Squadron Model Club”; I don’t think I could have done it myself.

The Sumner Ponds layout of islands, bends and reeds and other craft (not to mention the hundreds of Canada geese) gave VB10 ample opportunity to practice her navigation skills and made it a pleasant change of just steaming around in circles.

The straighter stretches of water enabled a good head of steam to be built up and a very good speed to be maintained. It was at times a bit of an effort to keep up with her – I think she was easily doing a good 10 knots scale speed, cutting elegantly through the water.

She had three good runs, the last being 51 minutes using 39% of the 460 g of available gas, giving an average consumption (including firing up from cold) of 3.5g/min at average of 360RPM and a maximum of 778RPM.

Photographs show the fairleads being sculptured and VB10 docked (by the dock leaves!) awaiting for the “Battle of the Atlantic” to finish and also avoiding the “SMS Schleswig-Holstein” that was lurking in the reeds (courtesy of the Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team).

Ian

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »

VB10 looked and sounded the business at Sumners Pond.

Len.

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 03:51:45 pm »

Thanks Len - hope to see you all down at Dover soon.

I've been reviewing the entries from the last year or so and one of the concerns was about the stuffing gland on the prop shaft. Well, the simple arrangement of an internally threaded collar over the threaded prop tube has worked fine using graphited cotton with barely a weep.

I've noticed that no photos of the steam plant have been posted, here are a few showing the Stuart D10 and monotube boiler. Engine bay_1 photo shows the burner and gas attemporator. The attemporator (copper tube) has the cold feed water drawn through which cools the hot fuel gas as it emerges from the evaporator around the burner and before it goes to the gas control valve. The very cold gas returns (it has been throttled like a fridge) passes back through the attemporator to warm up before going to the burner; this is to avoid butane chrystals forming.

Engine bay_2 photo shows the gas control valve with its servo and pressure transducer (acts like a fuel gauge).

The other photos show the profile of VB10 and a comparison with the veteran "Vital Byte" test boat. The Electrics photo shows the computer data port to which the Display Unit is connected to retrieve running data and to adjust any running parameters like control tuning.

Ian

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2014, 09:08:36 pm »

VB10 will be at the Guildford Steam Rally tomorrow and Sunday. (5th 6th July).

Ian.

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 10:17:24 am »

Hi Mayhemers,

VB10 with her monotube steam plant, was exhibited and demonstrated at the Guildford Steam rally (in their 20ftx20ft pool!) over the 5/6th July weekend, although she couldn't really be put through her paces.

On Sunday 3rd August, she was at the Model Boat Association Dover, Kearsney Abbey Regatta where I managed to take some video for the first time, including mounting the camera on the boat. Excellent clean pond conditions and plenty of wild life. Only one collision (my fault) - 70lb (34kg) of boat makes a load bang when stopped by another boat!

A couple of issues ultimately caused by dropping the boat one its trailer the day before. Issue one was not checking the rudder movement before launch and then finding out I had no starboard directional control - just had to adjust the rudder post lower support bracket to relieve the stiction. Issue 2 stopped the boiler startup and was caused by the main AE-35 computer plug and socket connector not fully home.

Otherwise, the monotube steam plant and engine performed really well and getting good run times of 45mins (the "getting boring" limit) using the 230gm gas cylinders with 10mins to spare.

VB10 was next at the Herne Bay Heron's Regatta on the 24th August, where she operated with her new con-rods for the first time. Again video was made. The only issue was the state of the lake. The lake algae "soup" was causing the boiler feed water filter to work overtime, so I decided to replace it with my spare one. I restarted the pumps and waited for the air to be sucked out of the new filter and waited and waited....   The new filter had a small gap in its casing allowing air to be sucked in! With no choice, I had to shake out the "soup" from the old one and reuse it despite it being in a bad condition. When I got home I had to flush the system out with clean water.

Apart from the filter problem, VB10 performed very well and much quieter with the new con-rods eliminating the big and small end worn-out noise.

When I've had some help with the editing, I shall put a video of VB10 on Youtube (with even more help!).

Ian

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 11:03:05 am »

Hi,

Just received in the post,  a copy August's (issue 329) of "Marine Modelling International" and VB10 appears on page 35 described as "MAGNIFICENT!".

Can't be bad!

Ian

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2014, 05:13:48 pm »

Hi Mayhemers,

I've at last managed to get a video of Vital Byte 10 onto YouTube - enjoy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HV4s9MjfaQ

Ian

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 03:00:53 pm »

...and another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az_U-Qeb3fY

Vital Byte 10 at Herne Bay last August.

Ian

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2014, 01:19:18 pm »

Hi Mayhemers,

I've just started doing those winter jobs on VB10 including the completion of the finer details of the launch, new main bearings for the D10 engine and modifications.

The first mod is the replacement of the cylindrical oil separator with a more compact and better positioned one. This is to enable the planned fitting of an over-deck awning and to give a better clearance of the steam vapour plume. The new location between the engine and boiler also opens up the deck for the "passengers".

I took the opportunity to strip the boiler down and give the monotube a soot blow with the patio jet washer. For those that have missed the boiler development, I photographed the rebuild to show the simple boiler construction.

Ian

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2014, 10:04:18 pm »

Hi Mayhemers,

The inaugural meeting of the Sevenoaks Scale Model Boat Club is on late Saturday afternoon, so I thought I might add a bit of mood lighting to VB10.

I've fitted some Rainbow cycling LEDs (the type that you get in the solar powered garden lights) and some interior white LEDs. They are very efficient, only taking about 60mA in total at 12v.

Should look good with the steam vapour coming out the top and being illuminated, that's if I can operate in the dark (that's nothing new!).

Ian
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.