Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying the best you can afford.  (Read 15925 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Buying the best you can afford.
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 10:28:14 pm »

Semi automatic?  I thought that was just weapons of personal destruction? {:-{

Could not think of the name of the gearbox, it is actually Easytronic.

Forgot, car also has air con.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 11:01:07 pm »

That's a little out of my range I'm afraid mate, plus you're a long way away... Cheers though :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2012, 11:16:23 pm »

If I could afford something like a Vauxhall Insignia, I'd get one... However, I'm getting the best I can afford %)
One today was 2000, another couple I've looked at are 2003 and 2005. Insurance when I've got a full licence is twice the value of the car....

Andy,

And there art the lesson  O0 O0 O0

Looking from afar, perhaps spending a little less on 'boats etc' may have left more for the car  %) %) %) {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »

True, but unfortunately at my age insurance starts at £1700, then there's the driving lessons etc. Plus I've got to sell my bike... %)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2012, 02:01:48 am »

Andy I'll do you a swap
You can pay next to nothing for insuranance like me
and I'll  be your age, and you can be mine O0
I'd even settle for just my knees being your age

Dave

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2012, 08:22:35 am »

That'd be fine, if my knees weren't your age too {-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 10:06:05 am »

Hi Andy.

I would do it in stages.   

1. get a provisional licence. 

2. take lessons at a driving school.

3. pass your test. 

4. hold the licence until you're 21.

5. You will have saved up enough to buy a gallon of petrol.   O0

6.  look around for all the cars folks can't afford to drive

My Dad wouldn't let me have a car until I had Survived Two years on a motor cycle. I didn't see it then, but I do now. 8)

All the best

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2012, 10:21:27 am »

Too Difficult playing a Weeeeeeeeeeee or using a mobile phone on two wheels Kenny and we don't want the little darlin's getting the sniffles. :-))

Regards   Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »

. Insurance when I've got a full licence is twice the value of the car....

That's because they'll be insuring the people (third party) you may cause damage to - not just the value of your car when you write it off.

@ Tug - maybe your dad thought you wouldn't survive two years on a motor bike.............. In certain places in the US, A&E units call motorcyclists 'Organ Donors'

I can see where all the comments about 'buy cheap buy twice' are coming from - the whole tihing is to buy things from places where you have some recourse to an easily sorted warranty rather than ship stuff back and forth across the world (at your expense) and still ending up with a less than perfect item.

Much of the gear we all buy is made in the similar factories in China just some of the 'middlemen' demand better components and quality control - and stand by that product, absorb the replacement costs and the hassle when you get one that goes bang. The ones that do go bang are not always the fault of the unit either - some people just can't read, understand or just ignore intructions and safety parameters.

You won't believe some of the gear we get returned and the customer lies through their back teeth and says 'we did everything by the book and it went up in smoke' - when you ask a few leading questions you realise they just didn't read the book and wired it backwards, overloaded it, soaked it in a puddle etc......even had one that cut the cables short and then wired the motor leads into the same socket......absolutely no idea -  then asked  "can you replace it under the warranty?" Can't print my response!

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »

Maybe your dad thought you wouldn't survive two years on a motor bike.............. In certain places in the US, A&E units call motorcyclists 'Organ Donors'

However did I survive? %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »

However did I survive?

Dunno! The French motorcyclist who piled into the side of me some years ago was lucky to survive. My car needed a whole new side frame.

There are lots or roadside shrines in this part of the world, and most of them are for Bikers.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 10:26:35 pm »

You do tend to learn things that are not written about in motoring guides.  :}    I learnt that you cannot steer yourself once you are flying through the air.   Would have dented the mobile phone , if it had been invented then. 

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »

I've learnt that 90% of car drivers don't give a single >>:-( about anything else on the road, and that a gold bike that's 8 foot tall with a rider in a bright blue jacket is invisible.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »

But have you learned that flying up between two slow lanes of traffic means I'm really not expecting you?
I used to have a bike - so I've been there - and committed all the sins too. Tarmac is such a hard teacher.

Dave

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 10:46:40 pm »

Over 40 years on bikes, more than 500,000 miles across Europe.  I managed to evade just about everything that other road 'users' tried to throw at me.  Anything that comes within your airspace you develop a defensive sixth sense as to the worst that each can do, and build multiple escape routes.  Driving a car I hope I have a heightened appreciation and awareness of just how limited visability and outside awareness these tin boxes have.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 10:47:11 pm »

I've learnt that 90% of car drivers don't give a single about anything else on the road, and that a gold bike that's 8 foot tall with a rider in a bright blue jacket is invisible.

Not really true Andy. There are a lot of perfectly competent motorcyclists on the roads but then there are a lot of stupid ones too.

Many young guys rely on their reactions to get them out of trouble and that's where it goes wrong. If you have to rely on your reactions then something has already happened and you are trying to catch up. You may be lucky, you may not. More experienced riders (and car drivers as well) anticipate potential hazardous situations and avoid getting into them. That is why insurance premiums are so high for youngsters.

Competent motorcyclists ensure that vehicles in front of them are aware of their presence, and that includes having your headlights on dip which many seem to think is unnecessary. Also, I hate to think of the number of times I have been undertaken by an impatient motorcyclist dicing with death. I have no problems with good bikers and am perfectly happy to pull over to give them room to pass which they usually appreciate. Why not, it's no skin off my nose.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 10:51:33 pm »

Not really true Andy. There are a lot of perfectly competent motorcyclists on the roads but then there are a lot of stupid ones too.

Cant AGREE more with you Colin I bet after this weekend there will be another story of an IDIOTIC biker KILLED on the North Wales Roads yet again just rember one thing Andy SPEED KILS

Dave

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »

Speed has never killed anyone. Sudden stops, that's what gets you {-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »

Speed has never killed anyone. Sudden stops, that's what gets you

Very true Andy. And I hope you never have the experience that I had of looking down at the poor guy who had smashed into the side of my car and experienced that sudden stop which you apparently find so funny. It made me feel pretty sick watching him looking up at me wondering what the hell had happened to him. He escaped with a broken shoulder, broken wrist and other minor injuries so he was lucky in some respects. Every time I think of it I shudder.

It happened in deepest France and I had his Mum and other relatives round a day later blaming me for his mistake. Not a nice experience at all. Completely ruined our holiday. We came home on the ferry as foot passengers and the car came back on a trailer.

Colin

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2012, 03:52:41 pm »

I present another example other than speed controllers. These three Savöx servos pictured are going in my 15cc Outrigger Hydro, which should be capable of between 80 and a hundred miles an hour. I could quite easily have bought the Hobbyking rip off servos for the best part of $30 for three, but seeing as I don't want to rip someones head off when the gears strip and the electronics pack up, I've spent a considerable amount of money on servos that actually work reliably.

Andy :-)

But on the other hand i have known Savox servos to go pop regularly and know of a lad that used 3 £50 Savox's in one weekend they're not always the best

Dave

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2012, 05:10:00 pm »

But on the other hand i have known Savox servos to go pop regularly and know of a lad that used 3 £50 Savox's in one weekend they're not always the best

Dave

{-) I've been using them since they first came out and haven't had a single issue yet

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2012, 05:28:30 pm »

it's best you remain without issue Andy

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.