I don't smoke but if there was an emoticon for a guy lying back with a slim panetella after a very very satisfying experience
I would post it now
even though this really was a bad two day experience .................... I'm back
In the end I was lucky because I had I think an older version of a ransom - the newer ones (I read) won't let you in safe mode or safe mode with command line.
I could reach the latter and that meant I could get internet etc because I changed a registry key to iexplore.exe instead of explorer.exe then opened task manager and used 'run' .......... all this initial info came from a search on a works computer that I wrote on paper (paper's still very useful stuff)
I was still denied all the usual ways into control panel that would have told me whether vista home premium was 32/64 bit but in the end it didn't matter. I went to the Britec forum and dug around there which was useful and I also got the Kaspersky tool mentioned earlier. Now they wanted me to get the phone number or text number etc from the virus screen and enter it in a box that would bring a password. Then run the Kaspersky tool - but I figured they were talking to people with the new virus because I could see 'run scan' so I did and a few restarts/scans later here I am. MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL
What is puzzling me now is I can't find Kaspersky on the laptop at all? I'll just download it again. It was very good. AVG missed the virus, Superantispyware found but couldn't handle it.
1. I thought you only got viruses in
places or email attachments (if I don't know the sender I never open attachements)- now I know you don't, you can get them sat next to the wife looking at a boat type for Loinerlad. Beyond having antivirus as I did - what more could I possibly have done?
2. Colin - you devil - you knew I had nothing backed up didn't you
(see point 1)
3. I need a big seperate storage device asap - would that need antivirus too?
4. I need to understand a bit more because I really didn't understand most of what I read/was said to me - fortunately I read so many different versions that I caught on to a bit of something useful.
5. Should I be using a differnt browser? Chrome or something?
6. Is it expensive or worth doing to change from Vista?
7. Wetherspoons is now due a serious visit.
8. To my mate - who's in hospital - if you still look in on the free wi fi - 'Get Well Soon'
because I feel sorry for the nurses
Finally, in the words of Vinnie Jones; 'It's been emotional'
hmm now I've just started worrying about something called a rootkit - it's nothing to do with the vegatable garden - I only discovered that today.