Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weathering a Submarine  (Read 14998 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Weathering a Submarine
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 03:48:56 pm »

Cool :)
Waiting on´delivery of Industria Mechanicas Long nosed submersible :)
http://industriamechanika.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=25

Should be fun to paint

That sub has an implausably long snout on it, I look forward to the paint job :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 03:58:08 pm »

It's actually modelled on a real fish

The long nosed butterfly fish

I plan to paint it in a similar colour scheme but aged
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 05:20:59 pm »

Next Project..
Abusing a Nuke.
My mate Ahmeds recently re-acquired Engel USS Patrick Henry. Owned by him over eight years ago, and weathered by me then too. Cannot remember that, but it does look good enough to be one of mine :} .
He got it back and I suggested a change of colour scheme. I did not like the way the red antifouling stretched up to the waterline, and suggested we take the darker colour down to the mid line of the sub, while painting the upper casing and sail the classic 60s grey instead of black. Very 'Voyage to the bottom of the sea' looking.First job, replace the Fablon missile hatches with aluminium tape.Once the missile doors were on and a bit of extra scribing done, it was time for etch primer. Coat one reacted with some areas of the earlier paintwork. This was left for a few days till a second coat was applied. all going well this time.
Finally following another few days to cure off, a Humbrol enamel mid-grey was airbrushed on and left to set off for a few more days, then offered up to the model.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 05:57:08 pm »

The next stage being to mask off from the waterline down to the mid-point of the submarine. Doing a bit of research on this subject, one shipyard would paint down to the mid-point, while another shipyard would only paint to the waterline, leaving the red antifouling visible just below the waterline.
 A light dusting of black, from a rattle can, went on first, followed by green, misted on along the waterline edge and in downward passes, in a random fashion. With the masking removed, the effect looked a little 'fish' like at first. Also, the model had suffered some damage from the removal of the masking tape. Once this was made good, and following a couple of hours to set off, I assaulted the paintwork with a medium Scotchbrite pad, red I believe, and an old shirt. Light downward strokes in the direction of any water run off or general wear and tear. This helps to blend in the green misting and helps to show off the shape of the sub.
 The last shots showing the model with the corrected paint damage and the blended effect of the green to good effect.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 06:06:24 pm »

The original casing black colour was treated to a few tweaks. The old shirt can be used to buff the paint up just enough to produce a nice satin sheen in random streaks. One of the photos shows the weedy detail up well. more of a green scum than any proper weed. Also I took the opportunity to add some random pencil lines for a bit of extra ...stuff. You can never have too much 'stuff'.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 06:29:16 pm »

The upper casing was next. The first colour was too light, so a new, darker Tamiya Grey was airbrushed over the entire casing. After a couple of hours this was subjected to the abrasive actions of 'the old shirt'. Once again, in a generally downward fashion, but also bringing the deck 'round down' up to more of a satin sheen.
 A couple of basic washes of colour were applied after this first stage, thinned down black and dark grey, painted into all the details and mostly dabbed off with tissue. This builds up a level of colour variation in an otherwise drab grey finish, easy to overdo this stage, but as the base grey is acrylic and the washes are enamel, you can remove any foul ups with a cloth lightly dampened with white spirit.
 The final detail for the upper casing being the darker walkway paint on the upper sail, hydroplanes and down the middle of the missile deck. This was masked off first, then pretty much scrubbed onto the deck with a stiff brush, avoiding any obvious brush marks as I went.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 06:32:00 pm »

Camoflaged periscopes have to go, not of the era. Noticed that last night watching a programme about seaplanes. the lower scopes are the same grey as the sail, the upper scope parts look about right, so imagine they are the correct colour :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 06:39:53 pm »

Seaweed, unless you have fondled the weed, you cannot possibly paint the weed...

This went wrong, then it went right. I stippled one of my favourite 'match pots' along the waterline in a random fashion. Then remembered that being acrylic, sort of, it wasnt going to allow me to tone it down without a fight. A fight followed, with Scotchbrite etc, resulting in the second and third image...still looked tat!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 06:47:45 pm »

Second try, with a nice acrylic base colour laid down ( on purpose, designed that way, not a total foul up in any way..) I then laid a second, enamel green colour over the original pale colour. I worked right round the submarine, allowing the colour five minutes to start to go off in the heat. Then with a half decent brush, loaded with spray thinners, 'chased' the green edges out, feathering them downwards and softening them slightly above. Its a random effect that is difficult to describe and just requires a bit of practice, preferably on someone elses model!!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 06:54:00 pm »

In the previous photos you may notice a blotchy effect to the black upper hull colour, this is caused by the spirit based thinners used for the waterline effect, you can get an edge to the weathering caused by the thinners like a drying mark. this can be chased out using more thinners but this can lead to the effect seen. Sometimes that makes for a good effect, not this time though. so it was out with the Scotchbrite and 'buffing' shirt to polish the effect out.
These shots show the weed effect well, also the overall random satin sheen which I rather like.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 06:56:31 pm »

Thats another less than conventional weathering job done, back in the time machine to spread the word about Scotchbrite, through time and space :}

Sparky

• sparky
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 08:39:47 pm »

Why have I only just picked up on this ?? !!!!

You'll have great fun with the long - nose,

and what about the squid shaped one  ?

That should be a laugh..... O0

all the best     

Vic
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.