Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oilite Bearings & Drip Feed Oilers - Myford ML7  (Read 9755 times)

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
Oilite Bearings & Drip Feed Oilers - Myford ML7
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:47:30 pm »

Hi, Ive recently bought myself an old toy, a Myford ML7 Lathe,
from the serial number it's from 1956 (21 years before I was born!)

I'm replacing some of the bearings, but just had a thought about the Oilite bearings.
Do I need to load them with oil (soak at temperature or something) or do they come ready to use?

Also With the drip feed oilers, do they drip with the lever on the top vertically (pin raised), or horizontally (pin lowered).
I'm assuming pin raised, but I still cant get them to drip properly either way round. They either seem to not drip or empty themselves when I'm not looking  >>:-(

I'm just starting to overhaul the carriage, and paint some of the more accessible parts, the carriage wheel bearings were shot, hence starting there, but the rest don't seem to be in too bad order for a starting point.
I've replace the belts, and done some turning with good results, but got annoyed by the backlash due to the sloppy carriage hence the start of the overhaul.

Cleaned/stripped the parts with Nitromors, then degrease with acetone (great stuff)
Ive bought a can of Myford grey from Stationary Engine Parts, and spraying a base coat of zinc phosphate primer, so hopefully get acceptable results.
Looking at spraying the top coat, but my badger airbrush adapter I just bought don't fit, so just asking about that with the seller.

Any advice appreciated.
Jon

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Oilite Bearings & Drip Feed Oilers - Myford ML7
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:48 pm »

pin strait  then unscrew the serated holer till you see the drip ,i have these on my lathe even though they are old ,they are neede .

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:05:14 pm »

Hi Thanks, I assumed that was how they worked, just kept on getting confused I think.
I'll have another go later.
Thanks again
Jon

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34:17 pm »

New Oilites come pregnant, - pre impregnated. Successors to Myford are RDG - http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 01:41:56 am »

this could be a build/rebuild thread but photo's of progress may be required.  :-)i have a taiwanese knock off of a myford ml7 that is in need of an overhaul shortly. could be interesting to get some tips.  myford parts fit it or so i have been told.

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:53:33 am »

Thanks for the comments.
Good to hear the Oilite bearings are pregnant, may get some of the smaller ones for free  :}

I'll try to get some photos up shortly.
Jon

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:15:46 pm »

OK then Ive taken some photos for those who are interested.
This is my ML7 1956 Lathe:

As mentioned above Ive started stripping and repainting some of the parts already, Ive taken off the carriage curtain, and the change gear casing for a start.
Only 1 coat so far. I'm assuming the gear case is not original, as under the grey paint, it was green! suggesting it had been liberating from a post 1976 machine.

Curtain parts, showing the old bearings, one of which has definitely been replace already (handle bearing) as it's not Oilite, but just plain brass with a hole drilled through it to oil the handle shaft.

I've made a new carriage wiper, as Myford want nearly a tenner for this little bit of felt! So salvaged some thick felt from a HP printer, and a couple of minutes with the scalpel  :}

Bought a rather large Carbide tip holder too, it's going to need milling down for the lathe, but it was cheap for the quality. the angle is all on the holder, so the parallel face of the carbide allows for 6 cutting tips per insert.
Not tried milling down the 20mm shank yet, but Ive been assured once through the case hardening it should be OK.

I've recently upgraded my air system as I acquired some redundant fittings including a spray boom. Totally OTT, but hey does the job  :-) Stops some of the trailing hoses.
My compressor is an old fridge compressor, feeding into a 16Kg gas cylinder (silver on the wall). Don't like seeing anything go to waste if it can be recycled.
Ive got another to add at time time to double the CFM

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:40:20 pm »

Bearings in that year of machine were plain bronze, thats why there is a hole in the top of them for oil feed. Have you tried a file on the "Sandvik"? Might not be cased. Carbides are not essential. HSS or even Carbon steel cutting tools for "Our" use.

Regards  Ian

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:47:11 pm »

Didn't know they were not originally Oilite, we learn all the time :)
The plain bearing is definitely brass not bronze, so looks like all the curtain bearings  have definitely been replace at some time, hardly surprising through.

Just ran file over a corner of the Sandvic, and it's hard yes but not totally hard, a normal file took a small amount of material off in one wipe, so it may not be hardened as you say.

My plan was to mainly use HSS tools, but got the carbide mainly for taking large amounts of material off when turning down to size. I much prefer HSS and making the exact tool for the job.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 12:53:13 pm »

Yerp, it's a tough steel but not hardened. To reduce the size, it's better to use someone elses milling cutter  {-) Watch out for overhang when reducing shank, 20mm sq. is quite large and getting cutting edge down to working height needs watching.

Regards   Ian.

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 01:06:51 pm »

Ive got a largish mill at work, I don't think My X1 would like the job much anyway  {:-{
I'm hoping a 16mm solid carbide end mill wont have too much of an issue with it. But we shall have to see.

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Oilite Bearings & Drip Feed Oilers - Myford ML7 Rebuild
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 08:47:00 pm »

OK SO I started work on a few more pieces today, the carriage and the motor belt cover, Nitromors  is great stuff I hadn't used it till this job.

Carriage Stripped then masked up to/bottom, then a coat of paint.

And I got the bearings back in the curtain, subsequently found out after this photo that the bearings MUST be flush with the INSIDE, not the outside as in these photos.
Also the second shaft was too tight on the bearing, so had to gently run a 9.5mm twist drill through with my fingers to gain another tiny bit of clearance.

Hopefully get the curtain fully back together tomorrow, and possibly the carriage back on.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 12:29:23 am »

At the rate you are going it will look & work like new when finished . It is nice to see an old machine brought back to life & you are doing a very good job of it, Mick B.
Mick B.

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 11:47:17 am »

Thanks Mick, I never intended to go this far this soon, but, well it's just another couple of bolts to do that other bit, isn't it?...
The machine was servicible when I got it, but as you say should be much better when I'm finished.
I'd rather spend the money on an English machine, than spend it on an eastern one.
Want to stop at this stage now (for now), with the carriage and covers done, as I'm keen to get my motor bed and Korts nozzle machined up for the 1/8 Motorflote I'm starting.

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 08:45:00 pm »

Reconditioned carraige back on the lathe.
Took a few attempts, as you have to get things in the right order, the curtain will not go on with the swarf gard fitted, nor can you put the lower half nut in afterwards.
Bit of a fiddle but got there in the end.

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 09:07:26 am »

very nice. looks like a new one. re the sandvik tool holder.  i have one that i had machined to suit my lathe and it wasnt a problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.