Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill switching for Gassers (petrol)  (Read 17787 times)

ACTion

Re: Kill switching for Gassers (petrol)
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 09:03:15 am »

North Queensland RC used to do a little unit that did exactly this, I have one on a Zenoah 26 in a model aircraft. Unfortunately they are no longer producing them.

The only alternative that I am aware of is to build your own using the RC CAM Bit-Switch circuit driving a relay (example S2 on the RC-CAM page).

Steve
Please see reply #22. If a single relay switch is really what you want then this one has both NO and NC contacts - and doesn't involve strapping a microswitch on top of a servo (sooooooooo crude) - http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P43.pdf
DM

me3

• Full Mayhemer
Petrol Kill Switch
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 07:46:36 pm »

Hi everyone,
If I have a boat with a petrol engine with no form of kill switch, what do I need to add one? I currently have a 2-channel radio and I would like to keep it if possible. I have seen some Opto kill switches but I am unsure if this is the right thing and how would I wire it in?
Reece

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Petrol Kill Switch
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 08:56:45 pm »

I would always fit a kill to a petrol engine, but I am from a model aircraft background and I don't know if this is normal practice for boats.

You haven't said if the engine is electronic ignition or magneto.

Electronic ignition - Put an opto cut (either the Rcexl or the Smart-Fly) between the ignition battery and the ignition unit.

Magneto ignition is more problematic. You need a relay. NQRC used to do a nice unit, but they aren't operating any more. One of the Action switches will probably do the job, but I don't know anything about them. If you are up to it you could homebrew one using the RC Cam bit switch design.

You will need another channel to drive the opto cut or relay unit.

HTH

Steve

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 09:33:08 pm »

Hi Steve, thanks for the quick reply. It is an electronic ignition so I just need another channel and an Opto Cut. Thanks again, Reece

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 09:49:54 pm »

you could use a small servo and a micro switch to ground the ignition out.
or look at battleswitch or pico switches
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

inertia

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 11:08:55 pm »

Sit tight - we're working on one.
Dave M + Wombat

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 01:37:11 am »

There are a few available from the simpler failsafes that work by shutting the throttle with loss of signal and low battery to more sophisticated that kill the throttle even if power is lost.
Different types can be found at Prestwich (loss of signal, low power), Blackbox, UK (loss of power), Isamtec, Germany (on demand, loss of signal, interference, low power, loss of power) and Killer RC, USA (on demand, loss of signal, interference, low power, loss of power).

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 06:46:11 am »

you could use a small servo and a micro switch to ground the ignition out.

The problem with this is that it doesn't kill the engine if there is no power to the receiver.

Steve

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 06:51:06 am »

Thank you all for your advice. I just really had no idea! Expect more silly questions in the future!  Reece

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 07:46:41 am »

The problem with this is that it doesn't kill the engine if there is no power to the receiver.

Steve

a lot of electronic failsafes of this nature thou dont work with a lot of 2.4ghz unit especially the futaba ones,
 the method of a small micro switch with a return spring does try to offer an alternative that if set up correctly should work should power be cut

i did for get to mention the spring in the above post !

mark

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 07:48:22 am »

Sit tight - we're working on one.
Dave M + Wombat

will these work with 2.4ghz futaba systems ?

inertia

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 08:28:52 am »

will these work with 2.4ghz futaba systems ?
Yep - that's one of our test radios. Test units will be sent out shortly.
DM

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 08:36:11 am »

a lot of electronic failsafes of this nature thou dont work with a lot of 2.4ghz unit especially the futaba ones

The Rcexl and Smart-Fly opto kills work with Spektrum (I have them in planes). The only issue with the Rcexl is that I wouldn't use it if the receiver power rail is > 6V (although I am aware of people who do). I can't comment on Futaba.

Steve

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 08:41:24 am »

The Rcexl and Smart-Fly opto kills work with Spektrum (I have them in planes). The only issue with the Rcexl is that I wouldn't use it if the receiver power rail is > 6V (although I am aware of people who do). I can't comment on Futaba.

Steve

due to the nature of the way the futaba fasst receivers work if the work on spectrum they wont work on futaba !! not sure about the other way round !!

i looked in to this when i first moved to 2.4ghz back in 2008

i know action electronics tried to do a failsafe cut out a few years ago but not heard much more about it !

the problem is now futaba have started to introduce other new handsets that have a different carrier not sure if theres other problems there ?

mark

inertia

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 08:57:51 am »

i know action electronics tried to do a failsafe cut out a few years ago but not heard much more about it !
This had been withdrawn from the market before we took over ACTion in 2007 and was a general failsafe unit, not an engine-specific job.
The unit we are working on will not necessarily be sold as an ACTion item. It has an on-board relay so will cut off the ignition if Rx power is lost. It will also cut off when a valid throttle signal is lost or when a failsafe-level signal is received or when a command to kill the ignition is received via a second channel.
We will test it on Futaba S-FHSS and FASST, Planet T5 and Spektrum DX5e and DX6i sets. Unfortunately Futaba have started mucking about with decades-old industry standards and we may have to offer different versions for their various sets.
Watch this space.
DM

MPM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • MillPond Models
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 05:23:57 pm »

I've used the Super Killer Bee on both Futaba Fasst and Spektrum DX7 and DX7s without issues. when my dx7 was going "xxxxx" it use to cut the motor out... It was doing its job...when I changed to the newer dx7s it was perfect again.

Can't fault the thing... They also have a configuration with 2 channel radios so it will cut out if it detects loss of signal.

Nice piece of kit. Shame it is'ent waterproof.

inertia

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 05:49:40 pm »

Update after a day's testing:
SparkOut works 100% with FASST and S-FHSS Futaba systems. With FHSS it works OK as a straightforward cut-out on failsafe signal or power loss. It just doesn't permit the facility of using a second channel to cut the ignition by flipping a Tx switch. I've also had 100% results with a Spektrum DX5e and a Planet T5.
Pre-production units will shortly be going out for evaluation and Dr Wombat will have a look at the FHSS limitation.
BTW the unit can be fitted into a small ABS case or wrapped in heat-shrink. Access is required to a small tactile switch for programming but it's no great job to waterproof it again with a piece of tape.
DM

MPM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • MillPond Models
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2013, 05:53:34 pm »

Sounds a nice bit of kit.:)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2013, 08:15:11 pm »

For further discussion please see the research and development section.

Topics merged.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2013, 09:21:18 pm »

Update after a day's testing:
SparkOut works 100% with FASST and S-FHSS Futaba systems. With FHSS it works OK as a straightforward cut-out on failsafe signal or power loss. It just doesn't permit the facility of using a second channel to cut the ignition by flipping a Tx switch. I've also had 100% results with a Spektrum DX5e and a Planet T5.
Pre-production units will shortly be going out for evaluation and Dr Wombat will have a look at the FHSS limitation.
BTW the unit can be fitted into a small ABS case or wrapped in heat-shrink. Access is required to a small tactile switch for programming but it's no great job to waterproof it again with a piece of tape.
DM
Finally , I started the thread and now I can add that I have also tested one if Dave Milbourne's "SparkOut" units and it does work with  a HiTec Optic 6 2.4GHz Tx.
I did have some problems to get the set up correct, possibly because I already have an external "kill" button fitted. I found space in my existing radio box for the small assembly.  True that I have only tested it in my garage but  it will hit the water later this week. I am confident that this unit will do exactly what I want and make my boat safer at speed.

inertia

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2013, 08:39:12 am »

This Kill Switch is now available from Doc and Dave Electronics. Please see posting on Traders board and also website for further details http://docanddave.co.uk/
DM

inertia

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2013, 05:24:06 pm »

Forgot to mention that the FHSS limitation referred to above is nowt to do with our piece of kit. It's the Futaba 6J which is the problem, in as much as it only allows four channels in its FHSS configuration. If you switch to S-FHSS it's fine. You won't find this anywhere in their documentation.
DM

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2013, 12:18:04 pm »

Having just bought my first gasser ( two in fact, Zenoah G260PUMs both going cheap on Ebay)  this thread got me thinking re the failsafe requirement under BMPRS racing rules.  Having had a look around I bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111113338056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
It promises to be able to be used on a switched channel as a kill switch, also working when loss of signal is detected or loss of power to the Rx.

inertia

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 03:35:33 pm »

Thanks for this, Spearfish. Our prices have had to be 'revised' - a lot! Units now £20 (4-cell) and £24 (5-cell +). Both include UK P&P.
It's not been a good day..........  :((
DM

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 07:23:20 pm »

Thanks for this, Spearfish. Our prices have had to be 'revised' - a lot! Units now £20 (4-cell) and £24 (5-cell +). Both include UK P&P.
It's not been a good day..........  :((
DM
  Hi DM,
  Can I assume from your remarks that what I have bought is one of yours?

I have had the chance to try the little beast out on the Futaba set up that I intend using with the Zen. It is a T6EX transmitter (2.4 Ghz) using a FrSky compatible Rx on 6v. With the failsafe turned off on the transmitter, you can set the RX to use what control positions  you want in the event of a loss of signal, e.g throttle fully closed, full right  rudder or whatever.

Using this unit , I can switch off the motor using Ch5 at will as this is the 2 position channel intended for undercarriage on this Tx when used in a plane. On switching off the Tx to mimick loss of signal, the throttle closes and the unit activates and cuts the ignition to stop the Zen by earthing the black wire from the coil. Just like it says on the tin or rather the extremely clear instructions provided with the unit!.  Really very pleased with this. Now just need to buy a second one to go with the other Zen.

I was wondering how best to mount it close to the engine while keeping it clean and dry.  Just realised (being a photographic dinosaur still using 35mm film) that it fits very easily into a 35mm film container which should be very easy to postion in the boat and to seal. Fits into one of those Terry spring tool clips for easy access.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.