Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AcTion P105 single stick steam/waterjet reverser operating TVR1A  (Read 5582 times)

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
AcTion P105 single stick steam/waterjet reverser operating TVR1A
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:23:24 pm »

Hi all, just got one of Actions new reverser units, and I must say, it is a brilliant bit of kit. It does exactly what it says, operates reversing gear and regulator from one stick on your transmitter. The instructions are clear and concise, making for an easy set up. However, your humble narrator here decided to set it up at about 11 o clock at night, and was at it till 4 30 am fiddling about with the linkages and had a bit of trouble getting it to work on the engine, this was due to my lack of prior planning re the linkages, and being dog tired. The next day, Tuesday, I stripped it all down again, binned all the operating rods from the night before and started again, within 1/2 an hour it was all working nicely. So, staying up late to do a job like this is not a good idea, and accuracy when connecting the servos to the engine is most important for a successful installation. Now we can run a slide valve engine without having to get a multi channel radio set, gets my vote any time.Here's a coupe of photos and videos to show what it is all about, please forgive my video making efforts and enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtvU4m7JGHc&feature=youtu.be  (static) and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYnbtOUeJmQ&feature=youtu.be in steam
Regards,
Nick :-)) :-)) :-))

What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
Re: AcTion P105 single stick steam/waterjet reverser operating TVR1A
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 05:50:17 pm »

You may notice that I am having to give the flywheel a little help to get going, this was due to one of the tiny screws that hold the valve linkages together had worked loose, upsetting the timing slightly, It eventually fell out all together, good job you get plenty og spares in the kit. Should have investigated when engine didn't self start, but it is fixed now. :-)) :-)) :-))

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:49:05 am »

Nick,

Great news!  I knew it was close to being released.  I'm jealous you beat me to it.

Kudos to ACTion for responsiveness to customer suggestions.  After I posted the question on this forum about single stick control for steam engines such as the TVR1, I contacted ACTion and suggested they develop a product to fill this need.  After they did some market research (we need to thank the waterjet crowd for their market potential) , we now have the P105. 

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36329.msg362712#msg362712

BTW, could we get a closeup of your direction linkage?  Do you have a ball joint at the machine?

Landlocked

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:20:12 am »

Good morning Landlocked, the linkage for direction control is made from a pin from a 13amp plug, ( I think yours are round in the US)) connected to the servo by a ball link. I got the idea to use the plug pin from ' jerry c' of steam launch wear fame  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33737.90  When it all gets fitted into the boat, a 1/10th scale African Queen, I will be using bowden cables so I can hide the servos easier.
Regards,

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:06:06 am »

Very interesting. Certainly an advantage for those who don't have enough channels on their remote.

However, since remotes with 4-6 channels aren't that expensive any more, I would still prefer to be able to control throttle and reverser separately, for the following reasons:
- when cold starting it should be easier to repeatedly switch the reverser while keeping the throttle open in a set/desired position.
- on some engines you can save steam by using partial cutoff, and for this you need a reverser that can be set in any position, nor just in 2.

So it's up to personal preference.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:32:22 pm »

Very interesting. Certainly an advantage for those who don't have enough channels on their remote.

However, since remotes with 4-6 channels aren't that expensive any more, I would still prefer to be able to control throttle and reverser separately, for the following reasons:
- when cold starting it should be easier to repeatedly switch the reverser while keeping the throttle open in a set/desired position.
- on some engines you can save steam by using partial cutoff, and for this you need a reverser that can be set in any position, nor just in 2.

So it's up to personal preference.

I had thought about cut off, as there is 2 notches on the TVR, one of which cuts the steam off once the engine is running, however, the engine starts just as well on the second notch, and that is where I have the position of the reverser set, so hopefully using a little less steam.....

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:07:39 pm »

I am in no doubt that it does exactly what it says on the tin, using Actions gear in some of my boats.. :-))  However I am confused as on my steam boat an Modeen boiler  I only have to use 1 channel for forward and reverse. !

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 03:49:42 pm »

Longbuild, Your engine will be either an oscillator or a piston valve engine, the combined throttle/reverser alters the direction of the steam flow, whereas on a slide valve engine such as a TVR1A or a Stuart the valve gear has to be moved in order to change direction and a separate regulator has to be used to control speed. You can see this on the labeled photograph at the start of this thread.
Regards,

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 03:52:31 pm »

Thanks
Makes sense now.  :-))

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 12:25:41 am »

Nick,

Thanks for the linkage photo and the link to Jerry's post.  Your way is much simpler than my plan to rotate the lever block 90 degrees (without messing up the timing!) and use the lever hole for a short shaft and then a clevis linkage.  I like your idea for cables.  Not sure our EE plugs have the same potential though.

Ken

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:18:54 am »

Good morning Ken, you could always make a lever up from a piece of brass bar of suitable dimensions. The reversing lever acts as a pointer so you can line it up with the notches on the detent bar when adjusting your linkages, and remember to rotate the detent bar through 180 degrees to allow the lever to slide up and down without getting caught in the notches...
Regards,
Nick. :-)) :-)) :-))

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:32:14 am »

Longbuild, Your engine will be either an oscillator or a piston valve engine, the combined throttle/reverser alters the direction of the steam flow, whereas on a slide valve engine such as a TVR1A or a Stuart the valve gear has to be moved in order to change direction and a separate regulator has to be used to control speed. You can see this on the labeled photograph at the start of this thread.
Regards,

Nick ,
I have often wondered why owners of TVR engines have a servo to operate forward and reverse and one to apply steam.
I have very little experience in this engine other than re setting the timing for a friends engine and a very nice piece of kit it is.
However with Hackworth gear why don't you do away with the steam throttle and feed the steam directly into the steam line and put a servo on
to the weigh shaft via a lever on the other side from the notched vertical bar  and with the transmitter set on ratchets at mid point no steam would get to the cylinders but when moved up or down will give forward and reverse with full control of speed..

Now you mention Stuart engines which is something that I have experience of, my D10 which is fitted to a steam tug has a servo connected to the lever on the weigh shaft which gives full control of speed , forward and reverse and one other servo to the rudder, it works perfectly well on the D10 and I don't see why it wouldn't work on the TVR, here are pics of the D10 and  Stuart launch engine which do not have a separate steam inlet control valve.

By going this way you will save on the cost of a servo and the steam control valve and the new Action controller.

George.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »

Most interesting George, I will look into that, In a way, it is a bit like notching up and down, as in locomotive practice......However, I all ready have the servo and  Action's box of tricks, but it will be enlightening to experiment.  :-)) :-)) :-))

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47:02 am »

R/C controlling only the reversing gear can certainly work, but I believe that an r/c steam valve should allow a better control over speed, under most circumstances.

And when one compares the cost of an extra servo to the overall cost of the steam plant, the added investment isn't significant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.