Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello all - an introduction  (Read 4298 times)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Hello all - an introduction
« on: September 27, 2012, 07:53:48 pm »

Hi all - just joined so I thought I should introduce myself.
I have made  models in the past and by trade I am a CAD draughtsman, so plans hold no mysteries to me.
I am leading up to the possible build of a 1/12 or 1/24 scale model of a classic 40 foot wooden norfolk broads cruiser.
the interesting part is that I have had a quick visit to the boat and taken a few photos and a few datum measurements so I can scale off the photos.
from this I drew up a set of plans (in 3d CAD). once I  had the CAD drawings and extracted the sections at the bulkheads I decided that I needed to physically construct the hull (well half hull) to check the flow of the planking and curves.
This is the stage I am at now, the half hull model has been made out of odd scraps of cardboard I had lying round at a scale of 1/20.
Grendel (Peter)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello all - an introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:11:56 pm »

as you no doubt can tell, cardboard probably isnt the best material for constructing a hull, the glue softens it and causes all sorts of bubbling etc.
the upside of t he model is that the boat owner , having seen it, invited me aboard for a weekend so that I can more accurately get the measurements I need to refine the model and to gain insight on the construction techniques.
I started drawing the plans for two reasons, one is that  having been made redundant at the end of last year it was a good project to keep my drawing skills in hand and up to date and that secondly I promised that if I had a chance I would knock out a set of plans as th owner is such a nice guy and will drive 4 hours down to his boat just to go and help anyone.
at the moment I have only promised the plans, but I can see that he will probably ask if I would make up the boat too.
following pictures from the construction of the half hull.
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:17:47 pm »

just for completeness here are some of the CAD images

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:24:10 pm »

The interesting thing about this Norfolk Broads Cruiser is that she was the prototype for the class, she was the only one with a wooden hull, all the rest were made from GRP using the mould taken from her hull. so once the hull is made then a mould could be taken from it to enable future models to be produced.
Grendel

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:47:42 pm »

Welcome to the madhouse!

Your project is looking good, am looking forward to see the build progress.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:56:30 pm »

Very impressive Peter,  and welcome to mayhem.  I'm sure a lot of folks will be following you on this.    :-))

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:47:46 pm »

as you no doubt can tell, cardboard probably isnt the best material for constructing a hull, the glue softens it and causes all sorts of bubbling etc.

Actually, cardboard is fine for making a planked hull if you use the right glue. It used to be used in the old days, as did brown sticky paper. IIRC, there was a racing yacht called Krispie, because it was made from strips of breakfast cereal packets. The trick is to use a resin glue. I have used newspaper soaked in Cascamite to produce very smooth rigid curved shapes.

And there is a lad who makes all his eezebilts in card - http://modelboats.hobby-site.com/curlewpics.html  ...

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:57:34 pm »

welcome aboard , interesting project  :-))

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:55:57 pm »

Welcome to the Forum.  As a former long term CAD Draughtsman and 3D modeller I shall be following this build with great interest.  If only I had access to CAD now !
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 06:22:17 am »

A little tip when working with card to stop the wrinkles/bubbling, pre stretch the card before use.  Spray the card with with water and leave to dry naturally. This is a technique used by watercolour artists.

Bob, have you looked at some of the free CAD/3d packages that are available
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 08:20:04 am »

Bob, have you looked at some of the free CAD/3d packages that are available

I've been spoilt.  Looked after half a dozen seats of Pro/Engineer solid modeller suite with all the modules whsitles and bells.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 08:29:04 am »

I've been spoilt.  Looked after half a dozen seats of Pro/Engineer solid modeller suite with all the modules whsitles and bells.

Ah OK nevermind.... any of the others would be a huge step backwards
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:56:50 am »

Welcome to the Forum.  As a former long term CAD Draughtsman and 3D modeller I shall be following this build with great interest.  If only I had access to CAD now !
if you have a 'student' email address of any sort you can get a free student version of autocad, I have one through the open university. there are also a few semi decent free CAD programs out there. the only thing with the student version is that if anything is copied into the standard version from the student version it will attach a banner to that drawing saying created in the student version.
Grendel

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »

Hi Grendel,
If you are doing nowt tonight, the Dover Model Boat Association are running their Illuminated Event at Kearsney Abbey Lake, 7PM.

Regards,

Len.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 04:02:02 pm »

Thanks Grendel, I was just showing my appreciation of a CAD design assisted model.  Great for accurate hull and rib profiles etc, plus scaling sections to exactly what you require. 
As I said, I am looking forward to seeing your build progress.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 06:52:30 pm »

I know its been a while - (nearly 4 years), but a couple of weeks ago my opportunity for a week onboard the boat came up - an added bonus is that we had a trip out to sea on MTB102 accompanied by 2 navy fast patrol boats Explorer and Trumpeter the new engines on the MTB are similar in size to the Navy Patrol boats, but in a straight flat out run, we thrashed them, about 1/2 mile ahead after a two mile fast run.
This came about because my friend served on Explorer just before he came out of the navy, he had always wanted a photo of his boat alongside his old ship - so he sent a letter to the commander of the boat and asked a favour - in the end he got much more than he had wanted.
Now with many more measurements to integrate, and photos of all the small details we are ready to start the model, a building board is prepared, The only problem - I have 2 to build - one for me and a second for the boats owner.
I will start a new thread in the appropriate place to follow the build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.