Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smoke stack.  (Read 1999 times)

Brian200943

• Shipmate
smoke stack.
« on: October 21, 2012, 07:56:54 pm »

Hints and tip on how to build an oval smoke stack . the approx sizes are 9ins h. 2ins w. x 2.5ins long.  ie make a mold for fibra glass or planking and sand down.?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: smoke stack.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:39:31 pm »

A trip to your local windsurfing shop might yield a nice selection of oval tubes for masts and handles etc in alloy, scrounge a broken one or....?
..well can you land on this?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:54:24 pm »

You could try a plastic drainpipe.  Warm it up in hot water and squeeze it in a vice. :}

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »

Two tubes, one 2" and one slightly smaller. Stick them together side by side.

Place thin Plasticard in hot water till malleable, wrap round tubes and hold with elastic bands until cooled of, then glue to tubes.

Trim top and bottom.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:38:22 pm »

Hey that's a good idea Dicky.  Might use that when the time comes.   :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

thunderchild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:24:40 am »

Good Day Brian

I've just finished the funnel for my Bathurst Class, the funnel dimensions are 91mm in height, 32.5mm long and 29.5mm wide. I found the easiest method was to plank, then sand the ridges flat.

I started the funnel by photocoping the plans, cutting out the picture and sticking it onto some scrap 1.5mm ply, and sanding to shape (remembering to take into account the plank thickness). I then marked the centre line and drilled two holes (1/8") into my funnel template (to take the bolts that will hold the plastic pieces in place).

Five pieces of 1.5mm plastic were then cut to the vague shape of the template. Next, I marked the holes from the template onto the plastic, and drilled the holes through all five pieces. These were then numbered and the front marked and then bolted onto the template. The plastic was then filed/sanded down to the same shape as the template. With the pieces sanded to shape, the bolts were removed.

Using the template, I then drilled two more holes into some scrap MDF. Two pieces of 1/8" tube were then placed into the holes in the MDF. The No.1 plastic piece was then slid over the plastic rods, down to the MDF (the base of the funnel), the rods were then checked for squareness, and these pieces were then glued into place. When this had dried, the other four pieces were slid on to the rods. The top was marked and glued into place. The others were then placed equally between the top and bottom and glue onto the rods.

After this frame work had dried, I glued .70mm x 1mm plastic strips around the outside, this was then left to dry. Once dry the planks were trimmed to size. At present, I'm sanding down the ridges on the strips to get a smooth, flat finish.

Richard
Richard

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:41:05 am »

Hi Brian,

How accurate does it have to be?

One alternative for a scale one was from Brian King using two layers of beer can aluminium around a former. Works very well if you need accuracy and/or the beer :-))

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.