Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft Peggy.  (Read 6331 times)

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Caldercraft Peggy.
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:39:49 am »

Have taken the plunge and purchased an unfinished kit of the Caldercraft Peggy. Unfinished is a bit of a false statement as it appears to be unstarted! However this is my first foray into kit building although I have built a few boats from plans in the past.
I really need any advice I can get regarding building this and if anyone knows of a build blog or similar then I would be most appreciative.
I understand there was a review of the kit in the February 1998 issue No 566 of Model Boats and if anyone can sell me a photocopy of that it will certainly help.

Looks like this could be a lovely boat when finished.

Thank you

Mark Dennis.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
Re: Caldercraft Peggy.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:25:37 am »

Hi Mark, I built a Peggy about 15 years ago, but I think it is now out of production, It is a nice kit and straight froward to build. I have done a brief search and can't find a build log on Mayhem, but that doesn't mean there is not one on other modeling sites. Have you looked on Model Boats website?
Regards,
Nick.
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:01:42 am »

Have looked everywhere but cannot find one. Of course maybe I have just not looked in the right places and I will continue searching.

Will check out the Model Boats website.

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:26:36 am »

Ok first stupid beginners question......

Never having worked with fibreglass hulls before I am a bit confused as to which particualr glue to use when fixing the wooden deck framework to the hull. Can someone please recommend a particular type.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:32:45 am »

There's no such thing as  'Stupid question'     :}

What you need to do is Rough up the fibreglass a bit and apply two part epoxy resin.  Clamp the wood supports into place and leave to harden.     

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:55:02 am »

Thank you for that.

It seems I am going to have lots of questions. I hope no one minds me asking.

Is it normal to have lots of bags of white metal fittings with no indication of what they are? I have a list of parts but no identification pictures or diagrams.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:07:15 am »

Is it normal to have lots of bags of white metal fittings with no indication of what they are? I have a list of parts but no identification pictures or diagrams.

I'm afraid that is normal with Caldercraft kits.
You will just have to ask on here the same as I did when I made their Milford Star.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11732.0

Just persevere and you will end up with a nice model -- shortly before they cart you off to the funny farm[size=78%].[/size]

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:25:51 am »

Well the wife thinks I am already in the funny farm so no real problem there then!

OK thanks for that. Will persevere.

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 02:02:23 pm »

Sorry one thing I forgot to ask. The boat comes with an MFA 850 motor. Not sure which speed controller I would need for this. Have always tended to use fairly small and inexpensive M Troniks ones in the past but thinking this size of motor needs something a bit more substantial.

Any recommendations?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 03:42:41 pm »

MFA Torpedo 850 motor designed specifically for high performance medium size (30" - 48") model boats. It gives planing' type performance and is ideal for fast cruisers, off-shore type powerboats etc.
[/size]
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/standard_motors.html

850 is a bit to powerful for your boat unless you want the captain to go water skiing.

I have a Speed 550 running on 6Volts in my Milford Star.

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 04:08:14 pm »

Oh dear!

The hull came fitted with the 850 motor and a 12 volt battery.

Do I need to take this out and start again or can I work with this combination and just not use all the power?

Seems a shame to change it over now (and more expense) but if that is recommended I will do it.

Thank you.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 04:21:54 pm »

Try it out, you can always change it later if you think it is too powerful, or try it on 6 Volts.

Didn't realize it was already fitted.

This speed controller will do the job. I have four.

JP Marine Brushed Speed Controller 50A With ReverseMarine Water Proof 50A Brushed Speed Controller with Low Power ReverseContinuous Current - 50A Forward (20A Reverse)Maximum Current - 70A BurstVoltage - 7.2v to 12v (6-10 cells)BEC - 5v/1A MaxSize - 42 x 47 x 13mmWeight - 85g with wiresHeat Sink - YesPart No: P5510135
Price:£26.99[/size] (Including VAT at 20%)

http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/acatalog/Model_Boat_Electronic_Speed_controllers.html
[/size][/size][/font][/color]

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 04:36:25 pm »

Ok I will try it out first as it is fitted.

There are a few things that have already been fitted. The motor and shaft and the rudder mounting. Nothing else has been done as far as I can see. The 12 volt battery was supplied with it but not fitted as yet. Will hold off doing that as not sure where it will go to get the best balance yet.

Thanks for the information. Will order the ESC.

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:42 am »

Spent a less than joyfull hour or so last night going through the white metal fittings supplied with the kit. I am assuming it is normal for these fittings to handle like plasticine? I am a liitle concerned about the rudder assembly that is quite a large casting but is so soft it would seem that the first whiff of a weed around it will tear it off. It seems to bend as you look at it!

I have a feeling that I will need to be re-making parts like the rudder using a more substantial material.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:45 am »

Making rudder is a simple job as shown by bluebird.

He uses ply whilst I use two layers of plastic.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13888.msg133177#msg133177

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 11:46:21 am »

Thank you. Easy when you know how. Mine was going to be MUCH more complicated but I see the easy way now.

Hey ho you live and learn.

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 08:32:52 am »

Earlier this week I started fitting the deck mounts into the fibreglass hull. I have said that this is my first experience of fibreglass hulls so no surprise I guess that I have obviously got it wrong.

Firstly I noticed the hull is approx 2 inches wider than the deck. I assumed the hull sides would pull in when the deck mounting structure was fitted. I started by fitting two straight pieces just below the gunwale as it says in the instructions with the intention of fitting the bow and stern parts seperatley. maybe this was also a mistake. Do you make up the entire deck mount structure and then fit it to the hull?
Anyway after leaving this to set for 3 days I removed the clamps that were holding them in place and the slightest flexing of the hull started a cracking noise that was the epoxied wood coming away from the hull. Now I suppose that I did not clean the hull properly as the epoxy obviously did not take to the fibreglass. I did rough up the surface with sandpaper first so am a little bewildered here. The epoxy is VERY firmly fixed to the wooden strips.

So the questions are:

Am I correct in thinking the hull is OK slightly larger and will pull in when the deck is glued in.

Do I build the entire deck mounting structure first and then fit it, clamping the sides of the hull together at the same time.

Is it possible there is some pre-release chemical on the inside of the hull that is preventing the epoxy from taking hold.

I have been using a 1 hour 2 pack epoxy as suggested earlier. Should I be using something else.

Sorry to be a pin but really would like to get this right.

Mark

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 09:13:29 am »

Hi mark, firstly what you have done is usually the tried and tested way, and I put all my deck supports in the way you have said........I normally then "pull the hull in" using masking tape "straps" across the hull to the correct beam and glue in the cross beams with triangular supports of 1/16th ply between the longitudinal and cross beams as further support. finally i put a fillet of polyester filler below the longitudinal supports and up to the hull sides as even more support and gluing strength.....then the deck can be laid onto the supports.......it'll go nowhere fast then and be totally watertight from deckside up.........if you want me to draw a diagram of what I mean, will do so for you.
as for the hull being wider, that is natural, as grp will sag somewhat in the curing process...natural in all kits.
neil.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 09:24:10 am »

Its quite possible there is still some release agent or other contaminant on the inside of the hull.
Give it a good wash in washing up liquid and then rinse thoroughly in clear water and leave to dry

Key the area to be glued with some rough sandpaper, this gives a better surface for the epoxy to "grip"

As for pulling the hull in wards I would say clamp the deck in place without glue and gently warm the hull using a hairdryer or a hot air gun on LOW setting and then leave to cool.... this should help to pull the hull back into shape.  You may need to do this a couple of times.... Its a bit smelly when it gets warm but should put less stress on the glue joints
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 09:36:26 am »

drawing as promised

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 09:52:16 am »

Excellent thank you. Thought I may be doing something wrong (would not be the first time!) but glad to know it is normal.

Will give the hull a good clean and a bit more roughing up with sandpaper before I try again.

Thanks for the drawing I understand now.

Appreciate the help. :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 10:17:02 am »

no problems.....any time, just ask......that's what we're all here for.......sharing knowledge.
neil.

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 10:31:21 am »

Thanks for the help guys, re did the framework at the weekend after carefully scrubbing out the hull and a good hard sand down. It seems to have worked as all is holding together this morning.

However I do notice the deck does not fit all that well in respect there are some gaps between the hull and the deck so am I correct in assuming it is just a filler job when I get to the point of actually fitting it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.