Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor Advice Dickie Tug.  (Read 2833 times)

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Motor Advice Dickie Tug.
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:17:06 pm »

Hello everyone i am looking for advice on my model boat and the motor that goes inside it. Its a converted dickie tug with a 30mm three blade brass propeller and a 6v 5amp gel-cell battery. Recently i installed a Graupner 6v speed 400 motor which gave a good turn of speed that i would like to keep. Unfortunately it ran hot, i think the plastic motor mount softened, one of the motor mounting screws came undone and jammed the prop shaft coupler. The motor then obviously burnt out with a conclusive plume of smoke. Prior to it jamming it was running a little hot (you could just about touch it). I am using a Mtroniks 15 plug and play speed controller. Obviously water cooling would be difficult due to the position of the kort nosel. I dont mind altering / ripping out prop shafts, engine mounts etc. Any make and model of motor you could recommend for this boat would be appreciated. I would like a good turn of speed (similar to the Graupner speed 400 before it got hot), not to go down the cooling route and long running time of at least an hour. I do realise it is a tug shape hull and not a plaining hull.

Regards

Dave

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor Advice Dickie Tug.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:16:05 pm »

I  used the standard motor/propshaft/prop in my converted Seaport and it works really well. I run it with 6Volt Lead Acid Battery, Mktronics 10 amp ESC, and Planet RX. Servo is one of the standard Hi-Tech. Great combination , runs for a very long time at good speed and the motor doesn't get hot or even warm. Some have said they found the setup noisy, but with good lubrication I find it OK.

I have three or four of the Graupner 400 units, both in Speed and Eco form, none of them run hot. I'm just installing one in a small Slipway Trent Lifeboat kit, but this will have a 7.2 Volt battery to give a little more  "go".....No water cooling is installed. I always secure my motors with a good two part epoxy, having learnt my lesson when one of the Graupner 600,s "came loose" in my Dark Class MTB.

Regards

Alan

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.