Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: and another new one  (Read 1589 times)

gof

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
and another new one
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:50:59 am »

G'Day from down under after a long break from building model boats. I decided that it was time to get back into it, now that i have a decent size shed to play in  6x6 meter. :)
Am thinking of building the HMS Hood in 1/72 scale after finding  a book I brought on the Hood a Profile Morskie 63 :H.M.S. Hood ,but after reading the Reference material page on the H.M.S. Hood Association web site now I'm not sure if it was a good buy lol any thoughts on the book ????
 Now its looking like will have to fork out $125  for Battlecruiser HMS Hood: An Illustrated Biography 1916-1941 and The Battlecruiser Hood (Anatomy of the Ship) from Amazon so much cheaper than trying to buy the books here in Perth. As they Highly Recommended both books.
A question in regards to enlarging the the Hull frames, If the beam was say 440 mm and I was going to have 5 mm planking for the hull so I would only enlarge the frames to 430 mm for the beam having said that would the bottom of the frames be 5 mm or 10 mm smaller than if I had enlarged the frames to the outer of the hull
Or would it be just as easy to enlarge to the outer hull then cut to that size then mark of the thickness of the hull and cut of the excess ?????

Lee

as one of my sargents use to say the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: and another new one
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 12:07:43 pm »

Hi Lee!

Welcome aboard the good ship Mayhem.  :-))
 Tiffin severed after 3 + 2 bells... O'clock... something!

"G'Day from down under "..... I wonder when it was derided that the North pole was up and the South down?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gof

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »

I think it has something to do with the magnetic field so when the magnetic poles swap us aussies will be up and the english will be DOWN UNDER lol :)
as one of my sargents use to say the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:58:35 pm »

Lee, I used the "Anatomy of The Ship: HMS Dreadnought" as the sole guide to making my hull for that vessel.

Clearly you have to be very careful when scaling up small images in a book to the scale you're aiming for: an error of 1mm measured on (for example) a cross-section at 1/384th scale will become a fifth of an inch fault at 1/72nd scale. If each of your frames ended "off" by this amount (in all directions) you'd be in trouble from the start.

You can minimise these errors, however - and I would strongly recommend you do the following:

Redraw the hull, in plan and elevation, at 1/72nd scale.

This is not so off-putting as it might sound. Bear in mind that the original frames were placed in Imperial measurements - the Dreadnought's were in 3-feet and 4-feet spacings. This gives you a great sense of where major items (turret centres, funnels, superstructure, portholes) have to fit.

Draw (and tweak, and then tweak again) the waterlines that you have taken from the smaller-scale cross-sections onto the 1/72nd scale plan. Smooth the curves. Try taking off elevations from these waterlines to test the cross-sections.

When you're happy (and you'll know the Hood inside out if this takes you as long as it took me with the Dreadnought) you can use the cross-sections as the basis for your model's frames/bulkheads. Best way to do this is to draw the cross-sections and then remove from the outside the thickness of the plating you'll be putting on.

I'm sorry I didn't document this part of the process more when I was preparing my hull build - a mere 88" to the Hood's 143".

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:58:55 pm »

welcome aboard  :-))

gof

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:08:07 pm »

Thanks Stormbringer :)

Dreadnought72 no need to be sorry  ,you have been more than helpfull :) Even if it does sound a bit double dutch to me lol.
 Its been awhile since i have done any technical drawing and what you are talking about is a whole new ball game to me but am willing to try something new as i was just going to get the plans enlarged at a printing place but drawing up the plans to scale will give me an added interest in the boat when she is finished :)

Will order the Anatomy of the Ship: The Battlecruiser Hood tomorrow after work. It will be a long slow 2 weeks before it gets here i might have to pick your brains once the book gets here and im ready to start enlarging the plans :)

Lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.