Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RN Paravanes  (Read 3074 times)

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
RN Paravanes
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:50:18 am »

Bit of an obscure question... just trying to work out how to arrange this on a model-
On some larger RN ships there were a pair of chains at the bows which I think were for towing paravanes? I've seen quite a few photos of them running down from the bow through a pair of small fairleads, but no photos of the arrangements on deck - I was wondering if anyone knew how they were secured on the deck, and how they work?
Thanks
James
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RN Paravanes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:01:50 pm »

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 02:23:24 pm »

I too struggled with this for years. When they get on deck, they pass through the paravane fairleads and lead aft, generally one end is anchored to a firm point such as the double bollards or maybe a convenient 'eyebolt' from the 'anchor system', the 'working' end leads to the centre capstan.

The Renown image shows the 2 'working' ends of the chains made into a 'y' lead and onwards to the capstan.

As to the chains use, and I hope someone will correct me, I think the chain was used as an anchoring point for the inboard end of the paravane cable. To be clear, they didn't use the chain to steam the PV, I think it was just the attachment point.

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:16:08 am »

Thanks! That's a great help!
James
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 10:39:03 am »

Figured I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a whole new one for a similar question...

I know what a paravane is, and now I know the deck-securing arragnements for the chains, but WHEN would they be fitted and when would they be completely stowed away?  Specifically, I'm looking at my plans for a WW2 Italian cruiser which show the securing point for the paravane chains, and I've seen many models built with the chains in place, but the handful of photos I have show a clear bow. 

I'd rather just leave off the lower securing point as it sticks down below the hull and is guaranteed to either get knocked off while running or if I make it in metal, to end up goring unwary hands/subs/other vessels. 
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 12:04:43 pm »

Paravanes are only good against moored mines so I assume that they would be deployed when the ship was leaving or entering harbour or any other areas of water that was shallow enough for moored mines.

No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 03:29:41 pm »

They say a good picture is worth a thousand words, that painting says it all.

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 09:16:06 am »

Thanks for the information!  I'll leave them stowed then, unless I can develop a weed-cutting version!
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.