Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another newbie needing help with a childhood relic  (Read 1813 times)

zephyr

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Another newbie needing help with a childhood relic
« on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:27 pm »

I am the latest newbie here, but I have been one for more than 40 years as that is how long my Nor-star Waverider has been awaiting completion. It is basically complete, but has no running gear installed and nor do I have any. However before I part with all the necessary dosh to power and control it I want to be sure that the boat is going to stay intact and afloat!

Whilst I recall that I was fairly pleased with my efforts at the time I have to say that the build quality is unlikely to impress many today and it has had the odd knock whilst in dry dock!. However I do now want to finish this project and I am itching to start. I am going to redo the paintwork and have started to sand away the old paint, but before I consider reapplying any I need to consider the following:-

1.    Whilst the ply skins show no sign of coming away from the keel, chine and gunwales (I do hope those terms are correct), they have sprung away from the bulkheads (I suspect that they were never properly affixed when I was a young teenager). I believe that I can fix this with some modern superglue. I then intend to apply a seal of epoxy on the inside where the skins join the keel and chines to be doubly sure that they are properly secured. I really do not want to remove the skins. Any comments please?

2.    I always understood that the parts, being made of marine ply were waterproof and that as such, other than a good paint job there was no need to further waterproof the hull. Am I correct? Again I do not want to remove all of the paint just rub it back so that I am not ashamed of it in public.

Any suggestions about power and control would be welcome. For any of you not familiar with this model it’s 28” long with a beam of 9”, all wood with a fairly deep planning type hull. It currently weighs in at 1.4kg (no control or power or even propshaft) and I would like to see it plane. However, the budget is not limitless (far from, and I tend to compare all the costs with the £4 odd that I saved so hard to pay all those years ago – it’s going to cost me all of that to replace the rudder that I have lost!).

I do have to say how envious I am of the many magnificent models that I have seen on this site. Maybe with a little help and encouragement I may produce something approaching the standard seen here. Not the Waverider, but a future project. However if that takes a further 40 years then that will remain a dream!

Thanks for any constructive comments or advice that may be forthcoming.

Calypso

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another newbie needing help with a childhood relic
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:07:06 pm »

Hello Zephyr

I''m a newby to the hobby so unfortunately I cannot assist, however welcome to the forum.  :-))

I'm sure someone will come along soon and give you the needed advice.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:23:49 am »

Welcome aboard
Refixing the skins to the framing is a good plan, I would probably go for superglue as well.
While the ply itself might well be waterproof, check the seams.  A waterproof panel with a hole alongside it is no longer waterproof.  Many recommend an external treatment of fibreglass cloth and resin.  With modern paint rather than the enamel of yesteryear, this is probably more important, but anyway will strengthen the hull against the inevitable knocks.
Assuming that the measurements are in inches (Martin has yet to fix the full set of printed characters) a regular RS540 or speed 600 motor run on the voltage it says on the label should suit if mated to a 2 blade prop a bit smaller diameter than the can, and pretty much any 15 or 20 amp marine ESC should be OK to control it.
Having a look around the rest of the forum should give you a few useful ideas, also have a look at the various sections on the "main" part of the http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/ site - lots of good stuff there as well.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:44:26 pm »

welcome aboard  :-))

zephyr

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:00:37 pm »

Thanks for the advice, especially to look around the forum. I have spent the last week or so doing this rather than making any practical progress with the boat as I have been totally sidetracked by some of the posts, especially the masterclasses. Now filled with enthusiasm to do something a bit more interesting than my non-scale model, but think I had better learn to walk first! Perhaps I may be permitted a bit of jogging (along with a few day-dreams) on the way?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.