Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from ACT  (Read 2274 times)

Jim72

• Shipmate
  • 'The nearest land is under your keel.'
Hello from ACT
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:36:28 am »

Hi,
As a new member I thought I'd best introduce myself.
I've always had a love of sailing boats and model engineering and as a change from a long project building a 5"g Britannia class loco I decided to get myself the Billings kit of the rescue boat Colin Archer.
The Colin Archers have always appealed to me as a design so when I saw the kit...well I couldn't resist %)
I guess the Colin Archer has been well covered on the site so I won't rehash the build but will certainly be seeking members views and suggestions as things progress.
Just for interests sake I've attached a photo of the Britannia 'Boadicea' along with our Careel 18 that we really should sail more often. :((

Thank you for having me aboard.

Jim

Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know.
- Donald Hamilton

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Hello from ACT
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:17:31 am »

Welcome aboard Jim!

"5"gaugue Britannia class loco...."

You must:
 A. Have a very big dinning room table.
 B. A very strong back.
 c. Live on the Island of Sodor!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:27:31 am »

that wouldn't be Lake Burley Griffin would it, Jim....................spent two wonderful years Teaching in canberra 76 - 78...great fun...........built a Billing Danmark whilst over there.....cost me a fortune to import to Oz......and then left it there with friends, lol

welcome to the site, and have fun.......the loco looks superb.

By the way, I've never seen a Colin Archer build on here, so please fire away.
neil.

Jim72

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:18:07 am »

Thanks Neil and Martin,

Yes indeed Neil that's 'Jabiru' in Lotus Bay, LBG or Lake Bloody Gusty as some like to call it. Where in Canberra were you teaching Neil? All my career was spent as a primary teacher here in Canberra. It's a small world.

Martin, please don't mention the dining room table. Having already had my ears soundly boxed for somehow getting scorch marks on it from a small soldering job I did, the thought of Boadicea sitting there dropping oil on the carpet could lead to my early and painful departure from this world. The boss was not happy <*<

If it hasn't been done before I'll start a build thread for the Colin Archer.

All the best

Jim

- Donald Hamilton

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:59:30 pm »

Hi Jim.......I was at Campbell High school, next to the War museum and memorial teaching "Industrial Arts" as they called it then.
Lived in Scullin off the Belconnen highway.............used to drink in the Ainslie Rex  and Canberra Rex and used to buzz around the city in my old MG TD.......only one in town at the time,  or my white BMW motorcycle lol

Jim72

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:33:05 pm »

Neil that is amazing, I moved from Malkara SSP in Hughes to Ainslie Primary, a feeder school to Campbell High in '79. I spent many a happy Friday night at the Ainslie and the Rex. The MG TD's and TF's were classic sports cars and I freely admit to drooling whenever I saw one...probably yours. A good mate of mine has a replica TD fitted with a Subaru engine, and he got me to make a badge bar for it.
The town has grown and grown since the '70's to the point where by 2030 the population will be greater than that of Tasmania.
- Donald Hamilton

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 01:42:08 pm »

as you say Jim.......a very small world, lol.
Apparently the old TD is still in Canberra somewhere in bits being restored according to the Australian MG registry.
shown below are myself and my mates surrounded by nice bikes and bits of the MG whilst we were changing the rear wheel bearings and brake hubs.

ahh Halcyon days that I fondly remember with great joy, even though more than half a lifetime ago, lol

glad to hear from you.

neil

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:45:52 pm »

Welcome Jim, indeed it is a small world................... i attended Ainslie Primary as a kid .
must have been 1966 ( i remember the rhyme about the 14th of Feb 1966 that will mean nothing to anyone who wasnt in oz then.)
My parents were £10 poms, built a house in Fenner Street Downer when it was on the outskirts, i remember fishing in LBG. and going to Downer High. ( still remember an  elaine J and a Jocylyn McF lol)
in my own little world

Jim72

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 08:33:50 pm »

That's amazing Rob and I see your location is Somerset, my family came from Frome.
When did you leave Canberra?

Neil your photos bring back a heap of memories of the friendships built living in new developing suburbs in former sheep paddocks.
- Donald Hamilton

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:00:09 pm »

think they were still sheep paddocks as front lawns when I lived there Jim, they were so rough.......mind you it didn't help parking our cars and playing cricket on them, lol

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 11:15:13 pm »

1968 Jim, and i now live 6 miles from Frome.
in my own little world

Jim72

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 01:27:08 am »

Good grief that's incredible Rob.
I belong to a couple of other sites, one for model engineering the other a sailing site for Careel Trailer Sailers and have never met anyone who shared any common experiences. Yet within 5 minutes of joining this site I run across both you and Neil and our paths have crisscrossed all over the place.
During 1914-18 my dad, his mum and sisters stayed at Moors Farm owned by their uncle Charles Heath. The farm is now the Frome cattle markets. Other members of the family, the Millets lived at Prior's Court Farm, Beckington.
The world has just become even smaller. That's terrific. :-))

- Donald Hamilton

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 04:34:07 pm »

Indeed a small  world..................It was Dickson High I attended, brain fade with old age.
in my own little world
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.