Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LINEING UP A KORT NOZZLE ON A NANGEE  (Read 4994 times)

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
LINEING UP A KORT NOZZLE ON A NANGEE
« on: May 15, 2007, 05:45:40 pm »

Hy Guys,
I am fitting a single kort nozzle to my Nangee, it is 60mm as recomended by MMM, looking at the plan the stern tube and shaft are central through the keel, the stern tube extends  aprox 2inches from the keel and enters the kort. All fairly straight forward, the problem I have is,,, the centre of the Kort lines up with the very bottom of the keel , the shaft would have to be at about a 30 degree angle or more to fit, this would take the motor way to high in the hull, has anyone else had this problem, there is probably a perfectly simple explanation for this, but at the moment I cant see the wood for the tree,s.
Thanks in advance
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: LINEING UP A KORT NOZZLE ON A NANGEE
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:43:50 pm »

The prop in a Kort should be parallel to the Kort.
If it is at an angle it can cause cavitation problems within the kort.
You mighthave to raise the propshaft till it lines up.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 08:16:41 am »

...or tilt the kort till it lines up?
 - 'Doc

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:25:19 am »

Hi, My son and I built the 'Nangee' a while back and after asking fellow club members how to resolve the same problem as you it was decided to put the motor c 2/3 up along the hull towards the pointy bit at the front (like to be teknikul) thus necessitating a longer drive shaft (stern tube) than normal but this allowed for the angle that the tube exits the hull/keel to run near parallel to the Kort snozz and still allows us to power up using a pair of 12v 2.8 amp batteries either side of the tube c 1/2 way down. It of course depends on the motor you use as well, we used a car fan motor from MMM, which is MORE than able to tow and submarine the front end. Should you want any piccies etc, happy to oblige, it is a splendid vessel.
PS the real vessel is now called 'ZEELEEUW'.
Good luck
Pirate

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:10:48 pm »

Hy Guys
Thanks for the replies,
I know from owning a few commercial fishing boats, and working on the tugs for a few years that the basiics  to fitting an engine, is to have it as far down in the hull as possible with the stern tube/shaft aligned as near to horizontal within a few degrees as you can get it, even more so if it is a towing vessel ie,,trawler/tug The prop would exit the boat roughly halfway up the keel making sure of the clearance underneath the boat. I can see that lenghtening the shaft would  help with the angle, but the shaft would exit the boat at the bottom of the keel,  that would,nt happen in real terms surely. The plan calls for a shaft lenght of 10 inches, and that would make the angle to severe, and I see no point in having a kort if it has to be tillted to such a degree. Maybe I am trying to be to P C and I should just cobble it together untill it works. Pirate, thankyou for the offer of letting me see a few pics, I think they would help me out a lot and I would be very gratefull, as I said, there is probably an easy solution but I cant for the life of me see it.
Cheers
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:25:35 pm »

might not be on the same lines with the nangee but i have just fitted a motor in my gm33 10m fishing trawler .
I had the same prob as you describe with the alignment of the motor to the shafr to the prop whilst keeping the prop level to the kort.
My solution was to fit a short shaft in the hul at the correct angle to the kort then a UJ and another short shaft to another UJ and onto the motor .
sorry no pics but it works for me .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 10:15:28 am »

...Hi Guys...

I have built several different tugs using the "NANGEE" hull...
I have always used Marx Motors...A Hectoperm in the single screw & a pair of Decaperms in the twin screw tugs...The output shaft on these motors is a good bit lower down as it it exits from the gearbox * this tends to help the lining up of the prop in the kort nozzle....

Car fan motors are good for the power but their larger diameter doesn,t help the lining up....

On the one boat that i fitted with a car fan motor i positioned the motor well forward in order to allow the lining up to take place...

I hope this helps...
...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

-KEMO-

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 08:32:39 pm »

Hiya Bosun,
                what about a belt drive.

P.S.     
           the picture of Dunsnipe arrived today, and I could see you leaning on the bow as you stated in your PM.

keith.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.