Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help on VOSPER PERKASA..please..  (Read 2948 times)

Krishna

• aqua plannerrrr....................
  • Full Mayhemer
Help on VOSPER PERKASA..please..
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:52:38 am »

Good morning all respected Modelers.. may i clear a doubt here with you..? i already started working on VOSPER PERKASA, in to 30 inch scale.. i have two doubts here about the craft.. i found three big holes just at the back transom of the craft, with lids and letter H embossed on each lid.. will some one tell me what is these devices..? Torpedo tube..? exhaust..? please.. and is the PERKASA name of this craft..? or type..? please..
in sheer ecstasy of being a powerful,mushy,masculine trans woman of substance...

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help on VOSPER PERKASA (Transom Flaps) please..
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:44:23 am »

The three discs you describe are the turbine exhaust covers (also sometimes referred to as transom flaps).

The Royal Navy Brave Class, and the export versions, of which Perkasa is one of four boats built for the Malaysian Navy, were powered by three Proteus gas-turbine engines, and had a pair of auxillary diesel motors for manouevering.

The turbine exhaust covers were hinged at the bottom and were lowered when the turbines were to be ngaged. When the turbines were not in use the flaps were raised to prevent water ingress.

The diesel exhausts rise vertically through the deck each side of the engine cover and join together above the life raft containers.

The picture (below) shows Perkasa's transom with one of the flaps lowered, (or removed). 
There's also a diagram on the web somewhere. I used to have it, but I lost a load of my Brave/Perkasa references when the computer died and I'm still struggling to replace it.

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Krishna

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help on VOSPER PERKASA..please..
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:24:09 pm »

Sir, a million thanks for the knowhow.. and i can simply imagine the total power of the craft.. three turbo shaft engines..!!!  God..
and one more request.. from where can i get enough historic facts about this craft..? is it made in UK..? or USA..?.. please, because, i have to keep this model, to my life with all authentic details.. with all of my PT boats.. its a request again..
and my craft is almost completed.. she is in to 30 inches.. thanks once again..
in sheer ecstasy of being a powerful,mushy,masculine trans woman of substance...

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:46:17 pm »

Krishna,

look here on the net:

https://sites.google.com/site/kdperkasa/Home

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:48:03 pm »

Between 1958 and 1960, Vosper Thorneycroft at Portchester, United Kingdom, built two 'Brave Class' fast patrol/torpedo boats for the Royal Navy. They were both aluminium-framed, wooden-skinned and powered by three Proteus turbines, and were named Brave Borderer (P1011) and Brave Swordsman (P1012).

There was also a slightly smaller 'private-venture' version called Ferocity, with an all wooden hull (frame & skin), and only two turbines, which was apparently used to some degree, as a  marketing tool to secure orders from of overseas markets.

Between 1961 and 1968, several exports versions of the 'Braves' were built, albeit with all-wooden hulls. They all gained an enclosed wheelhouse and also differ slightly from one another.
These vessels were bought/operated by:
Denmark (6 x 'Brave' variants)
Germany (1 x 'Brave' & 1 x 'Ferocity')
Libya (3 x Brave variants)
Malaysia (4 x Brave variants), one of which was KD Perkasa (P150).

The general design was also used for three Royal Navy 'Scimitar class' fast training boats with twin Turbines (Scimitar, Cutlass & Sabre).

Finally, the 'export' hull (with triple turbines) was also used to build a luxury yacht called 'Mercury' for the Greek shipping magnate, Stavros Niarchos. Having changed hands several times, it is now docked in Portsmouth and renamed Brave Challenger.

Here's a couple of links to help you out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_class_fast_patrol_boat
http://www.bmpt.org.uk/boat%20histories/Brave%20class/index.htm

Andy

Click the thumbnail of Perkasa (nearest) and Brave Borderer for a larger version...

How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Krishna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:24 am »

Good after noon, respected Modelers.. a million thanks for the great information once again.. thanks again.. great knowledge..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.