Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...of preparation , paint and propshafts...  (Read 2070 times)

bigbloke

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Nominally ? Newport (South Wales) Practically ? Anywhere !
...of preparation , paint and propshafts...
« on: February 01, 2013, 02:41:25 pm »

Hi All,

Two quick questions if I may please :

on paint

The electric boat I am rebuilding for my son and I is presently canary yellow. My Son fancies "Subaru WRC rally" blue  :-)

I have used solvent and a cabinet scraper to remove the red decals applied to the plastic hull by the chinese manufacturer.

There are a few minor "nicks" should I dremel polish these out? or sand them down ?

is there a particular filler for plastic hulls or just layers
 of primer and elbow grease ?

I intend to use a spray can to paint the boat but need advice on the best way to prepare an already painted plastic hull to accept
further coats of paint , and indeed the best type of paint to use .

on propshafts

I am aware that on a twin prop boat it may be necessary to reverse wire one of the two engines to reduce vibration.

I believe that the props are usually "handed" ? (with this in mind I was careful to label the old props "p" and "s" when I dismantled them! )

But does that mean that I also need a pair of matched propshafts (e.g. with left hand / right hand threads) to assure self tightening like on bicycle pedals?
or am I dependant  upon washers and nylock nuts and any two propshafts of similar dimensions will do ?

Many thanks in advance

regards

BB

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ...of preparation , paint and propshafts...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:51:58 pm »

I will leave the paint problems to Stavros, our resident Expert.

Regarding the Prop shafts they are usually identical with standard threads so all you need is one nut locked against the Prop, with a washer in front against the tube.

The 'wire reversing', to which you refer is only needed when the motors run the same direction.  You will need to make sure they are opposite rotation.
There is a discussion running at the moment about this very subject.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35415.msg353009#msg353009

Hope this helps

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:52 pm »

is there a particular filler for plastic hulls or just layers of primer and elbow grease ?

I like 3M acrylic putty.

I intend to use a spray can to paint the boat but need advice on the best way to prepare an already painted plastic hull to accept
further coats of paint , and indeed the best type of paint to use .

I would key with a fine grit wet and dry and then use Halfords plastic primer.

HTH

Steve

bigbloke

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Nominally ? Newport (South Wales) Practically ? Anywhere !
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:55:09 pm »

Many thanks Ken!

I'll start scouring the interweb for them tonight

Incidentally I note were practically neighbours ?

Maybe see you at Cwmbran or 14 locks sometime ?

regards

BB

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:09:38 pm »

For small bodywork blemishes, car sprayers use 'knifing putty'.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_185835_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

It's only the props are left & right handed, they well both have r/h screw treads. As Ken says, both shafts, couplings & motors should be identical, just reverse the wires on one of the motors, +ve to -ve & -ve to +ve.... (sometimes yellow and green in RC models), well that's for DC motors, brushless are a different matter.

BTW. You can run both motors off 1 speed controller, (as long as the current/Amps are correct) but you can use/upgrade to 2 speed controllers, which will give much greater manoeuvrability, useful on scale type boats.  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:01:00 pm »

Read My painting thread it will apply to this,as far as rubbing down 180 grit,try and get rid of the majority of the marks first is poss then use  PLASTIC primer to start with then use the Halfords Primer filler,3 costs rub down then re-apply and you should get rid of them.Read through my paining thread.Initially use wet/dry wet as it is a plastic hull BUT then rub down DRY as per thread inst

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.