The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Hovercraft

Very large scale Hovercraft.

(1/3) > >>

Coastal:
Hiya,
Apart from a lot of other projects I have on at the moment, I am building a couple of hovercraft models. The main one, of a craft we own is 5 foot 6 inchs long and is in quarter scale. Apart from not fitting through doorways properly and generally taking up entire sofas, its a nice scale to work in. I have built the entire craft so far from scratch from lite ply, working direct from the build plan sets.

Here is the model - so far, next to the real thing !

I also basically just for a joke started to build a quarter scale Hoverbat as well, after seeing the videos on pathe news of it running ( extremly badly ) I had to build one just to see if it would work in model form. Still havent finished that either...
This is the real one - there were no plans so i scaled it from video stills as i knew the length, width and height.

And my model version.. so far

Hope you all find it interesting !

triumphjon:
like the look of those , be good to see them finished !

Hover Tim:
Looking great as always  :-)

Coastal:
Thanks Tim ! and everyone ! Hopefully I may acctually finish this this year, I tend to flit between models depending on how the mood take me. The largest hovercraft still has a way to go yet, im having an issue trying to shape the front end as its all curved the real craft having a full GRP nose covering and a completly rounded front bow, wood does not want to bend enough even steaming it isnt keeping it there so i may have to find another way to do it. I still have a lot to make, dreading making the Cowling, its huge and is going to be quite a feat to get it exactly right as it has an kink in it where the airflow levels out, as I have all the original plans its not like i have to guess it , just figure out how to build it in miniature. !

pettyofficernick:
Have you tried building the wooden bow section from a series of lamination's of 0.5 or thinner ply?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version