Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabino Engineering Build log  (Read 23875 times)

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Solenoid Linkage
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2014, 08:16:46 pm »

Made it to my hobby shop and came back with the right size servo arms.  I'll trim the third one off when I'm done playing.

Came to the conclusion there wasn't enough room within a single bench locker to fit the solenoid and the linkage so...

I moved the solenoid aft and tried a new linkage arrangement.  Things were encouraging but there was too much friction for the small solenoid to work.

The medium size solenoid would pull in OK but the spring wasn't strong enough to push it back out.   I had set up the linkage to multiply the travel to get the most movement of the valve level I could.

So, I moved the outboard push arm's attachment point out to increase the lever arm as well as moving the forward push arms point inward.  Things moved much easier.  I get about 50 degrees of throw from the valve's lever so I'm hoping that's enough to find and straddle the "under load" sweet spot.  I'm going to "go final" with this concept.

The bad news was I poked a hole in the hull with a file while enlarging holes in the underdecking to position the pivot shaft's blocking.  Damn. >>:-(

Stay tuned.

Landlocked/Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Redesign Needed
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2015, 03:29:48 am »

Well,

I had every intention to run Sabino through another set of engineering trials on the pond this summer with the boiler level control circuit in the system.  But... after I did my full assembly this Spring, I came to the realization that my design wasn't going to work and all the air went out of my balloon.

I had tucked the gas jet under the side decking when I thought I could also finish the interior to scale and now there is no good way to get to it if the orifice clogs.  Between cooldown time and more significant than anticipated disassembly/reassembly needs/time, a clogged orifice will end any reasonable length session at the pond (reasonableness being established by outside forces  ;) )[size=78%].[/size]

While there's room to port to relocate the gas pressure regulator assembly, there's not enough room to rotate the gas jet assembly vertical without interfering with the deck house (which of course I finished last Spring) so I brooded all Summer and skipped the too hot August project period.  With the waning length of day and some Autumn temps, I'm now motivated to get started.  I think I can slide the front edge of the deck house forward without too much of a Frankenstein appearance.  First step is to get started on the piping rework.

Stay tuned.

Ken/Landlocked

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Sabino Engineering Build log
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2015, 07:17:41 am »

Good luck with the changes Ken. I'm sure you will get it sorted soon. And when you have fixed it I bet you don't have to remove the jet for ages! Of course if you'd left it alone it would clog very time you raised steam     O0

Greg

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2015, 11:22:48 am »

Hi Ken,
Your launch is coming along nicely, now that the warm weather is passing you will be able to get it completed, great build so far.

I don't want to highjack your thread but here is a pic which may remind you of of your past now that you are landlocked, I was out with Mrs T and now seeing your post reminded me of your past.
It was taken on the South side of the Firth of Clyde opposite Dunoon just past The Cloch light house, I hope that you can see what the subject is as it may be a bit small.

Regards
George.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2015, 02:46:10 am »

George,

Thanks for recalling my past. It could have been me in 1983 when I arrived by submarine on my first visit to Scotland.  At first I thought it might be the US SSBN that recently visited Faslane but the sail/fin makes it look like one of yours.

By the way, we had a wonderful cruise through your fair land in August on the Lord of the Glens to include a transit of the Caledonian canal.

Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Reconfigured Burner Piping
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2016, 11:19:37 pm »

I finished reconfiguring my burner piping a while back but never posted a picture of the engineering side.  I checked to make sure I had the in and outs in the right spot (see posting earlier in this thread)  :} .

Second shot is the overall engineering layout.  Upper (stbd side) has the solenoid and linkage to control the bypass valve and the port side has the electronics for the level control.  Eventually, if I ever finish the interior, they'll be covered by side benches.

[size=78%]Ken/Landlocked[/size]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.