Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thornycroft 62ft Fast Motor Boat RAF 150  (Read 425 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Thornycroft 62ft Fast Motor Boat RAF 150
« on: March 18, 2023, 08:17:16 pm »

Hard to think that my Dad and I built this model as our fourth model way back in 2007 and didn’t show any of the finished model on the Mayhem forum- how dare you I hear! {-)
As always it’s an oddity and was built in the era just before the RAF Marine Craft Section had its modernisation in the 1930s. Built by Thornycroft at the request of the RAF MCS to create a vessel capable of range safety, target towing, and rescue to replace the the rather worn out coastal motor boats given to the RAF by the Royal Navy when they went their separate ways in 1918. Three of these boats were built and all varied subtly with one having an awning.
This model is in 1/12 scale and has a hull and superstructure scratch built from 1/16” marine ply with some details in brass from fittings companies and doll’s house suppliers. Powered by two 12v car heater motors and some 55mm diameter prop shop props give the model a good scale speed and can actually give our 1/12 scale CMB torpedo boat a run for its money!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
Re: Thornycroft 62ft Fast Motor Boat RAF 150
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 11:18:22 pm »

That's a really attractive craft,very 1930s. Doesn't it fire beautifully, thanks for showing it.
Chas

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.