Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using super glue  (Read 5850 times)

markit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Using super glue
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:00:26 pm »

How do people stop the super gluecloging inthe tubes. My glue seems to gclog up ,even got some non-clog tips that still clog ! any ideas please   

Coastal

• Full Mayhemer
  • Possibly the craziest girl to have ever lived !
Re: Using super glue
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:23:15 pm »

I stick a T Pin down the end of tubes , but I use so much superglue I tend to use bottles of it and poor it into a tray which after a while becomes so loaded i chuck it ! Its easier than controlling the flow from a tube... !
Take care everyday to spread a little joy into someone elses life ! xx

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:32:33 pm »

Hi markit, I always tap the base of my superglue container on a solid surface
( without squeezing it) before I replace the top, to force the glue back down
the nozzle, it seems to help.

john

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:19:19 pm »

Hi Mark,

The best superglue I've found so far is this stuff http://www.hafixs.co.uk/products/profglue/index.html

Bought a bottle at the National Model Engineering and Modelling Exhibition 2012 (Harrogate) for the same price as indicated on the manufacturer's website.  i.e. £10.00
Still got just over half a bottle left and still gluing stuff no problem.  :-))
A couple of tips I got from the guy at the show

1. Keep it in the 'fridge - it'll last longer. (but be careful if children etc have access)

2. When you first open it, put a light smear of vaseline (or equivalent) in the grooves of the screw down top - this helps stop any excess glue from sealing it up.

3. A quick wipe of the nozzle with a bit of kitchen roll should prevent excess glue anyway !

4. As "john44" says - tap the base lightly on a solid surface - 1 tap should suffice - before replaceing the cap.

In my opinion this product is very good value for money.  O0

Incidentally, the website for the Harrogate show is here: http://www.theharrogateshow.com/

Regards,

Ray.

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:23:02 pm »

I just leave the bottle or tube uncapped until the glue drains back from the nozzle.  Best to prop a tube upright though.  :-)) %%
Alan.

markit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:54:15 am »

O0 thanks for the replys.I have done most of these and still getthe  problem will give the smear of vaseline a go will help with opening the bottle later but what to do about the glueseting in the tube as youare using it

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

• Full Mayhemer
    • StarLoc FiveStar quality adhesives and glues at FMK
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 11:38:04 am »

Bought a bottle at the National Model Engineering and Modelling Exhibition 2012 (Harrogate) for the same price as indicated on the manufacturer's website.  i.e. £10.00

In my opinion this product is very good value for money.  O0

50p a gram for  a `bog standard ethyl cyanoacrylate` isnt good value these days! , get it for £3 in your local model shop for 20g, the same formula! and even the same bottle from the same manufacturer!

For better quality and higher strength use our StarLoc one or even a bottle of Zap , both have higher strength and longer shelf life than any other brand you test it against, and the StarLoc one is manufactured in the UK so its very much fresher

Our StarLoc Brand holds 320 KG/cm2 , Zap we tested at 205 KG/cm2 , Hafixs we tested at 185 KG/cm2

Shelf life in accelerated testing ( standard industrial test at a set temperature to determine expected life if when stored refirgerated) , Zap came out at 2Yrs , Hafixs at 2Yrs, Permabond at 5 years, Loctite 406 7 years , Our StarLoc one at 7 years
Formulators and manufacturers of quality adhesives and surface coatings for industrial , DIY & modelling sectors since 1988
See us online   www.shop-4-glue.com
on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gianthairyhedgehog/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 12:03:20 pm »

How do people stop the super gluecloging inthe tubes. My glue seems to gclog up ,even got some non-clog tips that still clog ! any ideas please

Always tap the bottle after using it, or carefully flick the nozzle ( watching it doesnt splash ) , once the bubble of glue has burst in the nozzle it can not block in storage

NEVER clean the nozzle with a cloth, wait for the glue to set hard and carefully peel it, it will just fall off our nozzles and most others as well

NEVER put a pin or anything into the nozzle , it will do 2 things, A) scratch the nozzle giving a good key for the glue , and B) it will dissolve metal ions off the pin and make the whole bottle go off

NEVER drill out the nozzle as it makes a rough surface for the glue to bond to and the glue has set/partially set meaning that something has made it set ( usually moisture or dust ) this partially set glue will fall into the glue in the bottle and the liquid glue will try to bond it together and cure

ALWAYS keep a glue the right way up, so theres no glue in the nozzle, no glue in the nozzle it can not clog

ALWAYS store in the fridge as much as possible, we have advertised the storage of cyano in the fridge for 25 years ( even though many companies now claim to have discovered storing it this way! ) , its a simple chemical fact everyone who knows anything about chemicals knows, things dont react so fast when there cold!

99% of cyano brands start to go off once opened due to trace gas leaving the bottle, the trace gas is all that keeps it liquid, we use a different system giving a far extended shelf life by eliminating the gas by using a liquid stabiliser, our glues store extended times open or not, all have extended life in the fridge over brands stabillised the old fasioned way

There are no solvents or water in cyanoacrylates! they are all 100% reactive material , they dont evaporate and set in the bottle there is nothing to evaporate

( apart from the cheapo pound shop stuff that is often diluted with chloroform! )

Be very wary of any of the market stall / funfair types of demonstrators with a miracle glue and rubber belting.... they just show how little they know about anything if you ask them a simple question or two , they usually know nothing about what they are selling if you listen to the rubbish they spout carefully! ,

I have a video of one company saying its not cyanoacrylate yet the bottle states it is! just to get a sale it was even safe for children ( illegal to state this by law! ), often they say anything just to get a sale
Formulators and manufacturers of quality adhesives and surface coatings for industrial , DIY & modelling sectors since 1988
on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gianthairyhedgehog/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 03:03:21 pm »

I Find some of the "tips" given do actually work! here's a pic of my current in use bottle of cyano. Sealed to the bottle nozzle with masking tape is one of Starloc's fine tips which has stayed put and worked fine from whence the bottle was first opened - the black line shows the current level of glue left. On top of this tip is another of the same with the end crudely sealed with a little more tape - this is my "Bottle top" easily lifted off and replaced and has served its purpose well since first fitted.
         As others suggest a tap or two on the bench, followed by a flick of the tip if neccessary should ensure any glue remaining in the tip returns to the bottle - as Starloc say watch out for any bubbles left in the tip or nozzle.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 11:16:06 pm »

Very informative and 10 out of 10 to Starloc.
 I now, know, what I have been doing wrong, but not no more.  :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

markit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 02:45:39 pm »

Well i have done all the things people has said to do to no avail. I started with a new tip and within half hour it was blocked, must be me (Tap it unwrap it think i will stick to the choc orange) can manage to do that Will have to try a brand new bottle and see what hapens then   

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 03:42:27 pm »

Are you using cheap or pound shop glue.
Most of those are OK for one shot before binning.
Even then they stick skin better than anything else.
I do the stand and tap method and it works for me
with decent brands.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:43:28 pm »

Markit, have to say it isn't an uncommon problem, if any runs of glue are left at the top of the tip or dribble down the outside they will eventually clog at the top. After every usage I remove any signs of glue left at the top, a quick wipe with a bit of tissue generally works - but don't hang about doing it!  If I don't want to use the nozzle tip, I simply unscrew the bottle top and dip in with cherry sticks or ready cut lengths of thin wire I have at the ready, far more accurate for placement without risk of a flood.
             Hope this helps - but remember ..................... you ain't on yer own!! {-)  Regards, Tony.

markit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 09:45:25 am »

No not using the cheep pound shop stuff. Using starloc with there nozles. Will have to keep trying maybe i am just a bit messy i do seem to get through a lot of glue and i do have a problem with it flooding at times so may hav a go at puting it in a dish and painting it on see how that works 

many thanks for the advise it is all apreciated. 

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 10:54:27 am »

%% Hi, Tony I agree with your idea of putting some glue in a bottle top and using a match stick to apply,I have used this method for some
time as it stops me getting glue everywhere.The wife has stopped me putting super glue in the fridge so I am leaving it in the garden a
more colder than the fridge,Ray {:-{ [size=78%] [/size]
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »

I use the pointed bamboo kebab/barby (can,t spell barbecue) sticks
when you only need a small amount accurately placed they are brilliant.

john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 02:07:21 pm »

No not using the cheep pound shop stuff. Using starloc with there nozles. Will have to keep trying maybe i am just a bit messy i do seem to get through a lot of glue and i do have a problem with it flooding at times so may hav a go at puting it in a dish and painting it on see how that works 

many thanks for the advise it is all apreciated.

Cut the hole a bit bigger on the bottle, so the surface tension required is not available to hold the glue in it, I cut the bottle tip down till around 2mm hole in the center, then use the yellow tips give the small hole to dispense through , try not to touch the yellow tip on the surface you are working on , If using activator or sanding watch out for the dust landing on the bottle

If the yellow tips block, change to another , let the glue on the first one go very hard and chuck boiling water on it , the plastic selected for the yellow nozzle expands much larger extent than the cyano glue does and the glue cracks off it, check it is dry before re using it.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 02:13:19 pm »

Markit, have to say it isn't an uncommon problem, if any runs of glue are left at the top of the tip or dribble down the outside they will eventually clog at the top. After every usage I remove any signs of glue left at the top, a quick wipe with a bit of tissue generally works - but don't hang about doing it!  If I don't want to use the nozzle tip, I simply unscrew the bottle top and dip in with cherry sticks or ready cut lengths of thin wire I have at the ready, far more accurate for placement without risk of a flood.
             Hope this helps - but remember ..................... you ain't on yer own!! {-)  Regards, Tony.

If you are going to dip into it, tip the glue out into a small tub ( or similar ) and dont ever put it back in the bottle, or the whole bottle will go off eventually

The stabiliser in the formulation of a cyano glue is all that keeps it liquid, it is used up every time you put more moisture into the bottle from the stick and reduces the shelf life rapidly

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 03:54:59 pm »

Ahh! we learn something every day - like the idea of recycling the tips - although they're cheap enough its nice to think that if the boiling water idea works, then a more frequent and regular change of tips would not be wasteful or even worse, run out of them when you least want to!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.