Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hi from nailsea  (Read 4514 times)

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
hi from nailsea
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:30:57 am »

hello there everyone,
just a brief introduction as i have to get off to work soon :((
much rather stick around reading the forum.
im currently rebuilding a voyager 2 which i plan to sail alongside my uncles thundertiger victoria.
im helping Robin overcome a minor stroke which left him with no short term memory and boating has always been a firm favourite pastime of his.
i had a dabble down portishead and was instantly hooked.
my partner bought a seaport tug to come and play and we bought a non working tug for Robins wife to rebuild and join us.
more about my boats later but a question on the rebuild tug.it had no forward drive,we have established there was no output from the electronics board going forward so ripped all that out.
can i simply put a viper 15 marine esc in to link up to the existing motor and 9.6v battery pack?
we have a full set of futaba 40mhz gear and servo to do the rest.
thanks for the welcome note
any advice gratefully taken on board.
cheers,Darren

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: hi from nailsea
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:48:29 am »

yes shouldnt be a problem , providing its having the proper radio control fitted , . is backwell lake too weedy for sailing these days ( the one by the backwell railway station ? jon

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:01:47 pm »

hi John,backwell lake is 3/4 covered in weed,i wouldnt risk it with anything more than a 20 pence jumble sale lot as you cannot see below the surface.
portishead suits us just fine aqs now spring is here,the boat shed is open for hire should we have a disaster.
ive already sunk Debs tug once,my own stupid fault,i had the rear winch tethered on a long fishing line and tried to turn around when the line was taught,the motor was so fast and uncontrollable,it flipped the boat. :-X bfayym

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:06:04 pm »

Hello Darren,
                     So we meet again, nice to see you on mayhem,  i you still going to ship show at Portishead,...?...
 iam going satmorning and sailing on the lake in the afternoon , with grandson,     
       so if need any help i will be there .....cheers LARRY...
never pass a skip

grub

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:13:41 pm »

It was only a question of time Red {-)

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:57 pm »

sorry Larry,im working til 1 and going for the afternoon. will nip down the lake after but dont anticipate getting to the show until two.
hello Grub,small world innit lol.
these dickie tugs are a load of cheap trash,so glad we bought 2 {-) {-)
having said that,Debs wanted a tug,kitted out with futaba gear and the viper esc like Dawns,i think they will both be well pleased.
with 2 women pilots,you know who would have had to do the rescuing if it was reqd.
One more question,how long do i have to keep entering the codes to post each time?
does it go away after so many??         Yes. Keep posting

got the what year is it question wrong in last attempt {-) {-)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:53 pm »

not looked at the water quality at backwell for quite a few years , i couldnt get our recovery trucks under the barriers , just under four years ago i moved to my current location of portsmouth , hampshire . being on the solent coast ive got a plentiful supply of water to use my models in , im either ni the sea , or a salt water lake just off the seafront . i do have issues with weed here being caught around keel bulbs though !  i understand the salthouse lagoon is also being used by modellers in clevedon . still think the best thought out lake is the one made by cheddar models . jon

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 07:59:23 pm »

yes,ive been invited over to cheddar for a play,i will definately give it a go.
for now though,postishead is ideal with my uncle living on the marina front

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 07:06:09 am »

thats a doulde visit , or somewhere for a hot cuppa after your sailing ? i used to know quite a few of the portishead club members , mostly with the scale side as i wasnt interested in the yacht racing then , however ive now found rag and stick can be much more fun ive even bought two racing micro magics ! jon

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 07:26:20 am »

the racing looks a bit too serious for us too,i will be happy enough to put my boat together,drop it in the water and be able to pick it out after a pootle round the lake.
the long term plan is for Robin to design and scratch build a yacht,i thought getting a couple of boats in the water first would really set the idea in concrete as there will be the boats on stands to remind him.luckily,the victoria is a very pleasant user friendly yacht and has got us both off to a good start.
i know he can do it too,probably quite easily.he was very good at model railway,made most of his own gear and electronics,even made some trains of which the detail was near as perfect as you could ever reach.it was amazing.
i will post a pic or 2 of that if it is not outlawed (or at least try,have to learn how first,all sites have different methods) so you can see what i mean :-))

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 07:45:54 am »

fingers crossed,the code things gone. :-)) :-))
heres a sniff of my uncles loft,feel free to bin post if unsuitable material

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 10:15:13 am »

Hi Redsquirrel,

Nice trains.  You are welcome to post any more pictures in 'Other Hobbies' section.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 09:13:09 pm »

third time of trying,i will try and post the launch today

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 09:16:40 pm »

then off she went,a pig against the wind but going with it was great fun.thanks everyone for all the help enabling me to actually achieve this

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 09:20:50 pm »

saving the best bit til last, i didnt sink it, although there are a couple of mods needed doing,the first being the leaky rudder shaft that ive read about, then i have to somehow get a wider throw on the sheets, my hs815bb is doing more than 140 degrees but against the wind,the sails can and do totally overpower the rudder

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 07:28:11 am »

looks very nice , how is your sail arm set up ? its possible to increase the amount of sheet line travel by fitting a pulley block to the servo arm and fixing the end of the sheet line near the exit point in the hull , as for an inefective rudder , sometimes its better to stab the rudder several times very quickly to get the boat to turn , or let the sails out if your close hauled , to much throw on the rudder itself will act as a brake and stall the yacht ! jon

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »

thanks John,i will look into the pulley block idea and try and find some drawings,im only getting about 2 thirds open with the servo,the boat is just not wide enough for a longer arm to swing round so its either as you suggest or possibly a winch servo?
the boat was originally fitted with one of these but i didnt fancy getting the sheets all tangled if i was messing about with it

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 08:14:35 pm »

here you go
never pass a skip

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 09:11:39 pm »

thanks for the diagram larry , unfortunatly im not clever enough with the computer to draw diagrams etc  ! what radio type are you using , some computer systems have adjustable throws ! jon

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 07:39:53 am »

thanks for the diagram Larry,i might try that .im not sure if i will have room inside the hole to do it tho.the voyager is a bit silly in that respect,once the servo tray is in,it is very cramped but if i can bring the pulleys up top,it could well be an option.
John,im using the planet t5 but i cannot get any more throw on it,i nearly have a full 180 as it is,possibly 160. any more on that would start to pull the sails back in. im away for a bit soon so it has to go on hold until may but if all else fails,i will just have to stick to the light wind only.
two experienced modellers both told me i needed storm sails sunday as that was my biggest problem.too much sail showing to the wind.

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 11:15:58 pm »

had another go today in much lighter conditions,it was a dream to play with,responded well and did everything asked of it
plenty of speed in such light conditions made it really good fun and the best bit was at the end when i noticed not a drop of water inside after a good 2 hours playing.
the tip of 'tapping. the rudder control worked a treat too. :-)) :-))

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 08:59:58 pm »

dropped my first major clanger today,switched on the joysway caribbean,tried the rudder etc and launched it,off it trundled with the wind towards the centre of the lake when i realised there was no response whatsoever from the boat to my transmitter,watching it go further out my aunt told me to send the voyager out and nudge it round and back in,not at all confident i followed the advice and off went my rescue boat,it was a lesson i was glad to receive as the yacht handled perfectly,turned the joysway 180 degrees and back in it came with a couple of gentle alongside brushes to steer it in.feeling rather chuffed with myself,i then discovered to my horror the reason the joysway wasnt responding was the fact i hadnt pulled the antenna out,not a great problem you would think but i just happened to do it in front of a well known forum member from here {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ :-X

grub

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 11:05:12 pm »

{-)

redsquirrel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 07:27:59 am »

it was funny after Grub,as you know,i got into this as a form of occupational therapy for my uncle who now suffers from amnesia,he didnt forget it last night which was also good,couldnt stop laughing but remembered which is the main thing :-)) :-))

grub

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 07:15:08 pm »

You're definitely doing something right Darren if you've got the old boy in stitches {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.