Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type VIIc Sub  (Read 4991 times)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Type VIIc Sub
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:20:31 pm »

A big submarine has arrived in my living room!  %%

I've had this kit in part build for sometime now (Years) and today saw it looking lonely covered in cobwebs so dug it all out, dusted it off and bought it back home with me with the intention of carrying on the build.

The build stalled last time as I made the decision to make it a proper, static diving sub but due to lack of funds, time Etc. I think I'm going to stick both the bow and stern planes together on a single channel and see if I can make it into a surface model or maybe a dynamic diving sub but won't know that until I try it I guess. Maybe the dive tank can be retro-fitted at a later date.

Kit was a Robbe U-47 but I really didn't like the detail so bought a load of parts from Model-Arts of Germany. They supplied the new decks, new wash ports on the side, rivet kit and the new conning tower in resin. An Accurate Armour 88mm deck gun is also in the box to fit on the front.

Any advice, comments all welcome and if anyone has links to good websites with pictures, plans Etc. Also appreciated.

Cheers

Craig.

Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
Re: Type VIIc Sub
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »

Cannot comment on fitting out the sub but once done she should look a cracker with the new bits of kit added. I was going to get into RC subs until the price put me off a bit...I think they are great, but expensive...coupled with me not having a chuffing clue on them...it could end up as an expensive mistake.
Good luck with her, hope it all comes to plan.
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:38:02 pm »

Cheers Si

To tell the truth, I've no idea what I'm doing either, I just make these things up as I go!  :-)

Have to admit the price was excessive really. I think the Robbe part of it was around £300 but you don't really get much for your money. It is all smooth vac forms and the detail on the kit conning tower is really basic hence the resin and after market bits. I certainly got a lot more for my money with the Model Slipway Envoy tug I built before starting this one.

I'll post up some pictures as things progress.

Craig.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:55:42 pm »

Nowt wrong with making it up Craig...if it works, it works, if not...bin it  :D
It is a lot of dosh to spend, my two second hand boats (tarted up by me) + TX's & RX's haven't even come close to the £300 original price. + on top the other deck kits etc, all that before you even get to the guts of thing to make it work.
I do sound rather pessimistic and a bit of grumpy fart don't I? I be just a tad envious that is all...think you should give it to me, that way it will spare you the torment and anguish of attempting this build.  ;)
Si:)

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

mickyrubble

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:28 pm »

HI Craggle, can you give me the email address for model arts germany i had a dig about but carnt find it
 {:-{ {:-{

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 12:19:37 am »

Hi M.Rubble
                      craigie means Drean Arts U-Boots,  who unfortunately went under (pun intended) @ 2 years ago.

Frank. 

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:41:03 am »

Sorry, Dream-arts was what I meant and I wondered what happened to them. On the side of the deck sheets is a web site address of www.dream-arts.de but this is now a model railway website, no mention of subs anywhere.

Shame that they closed as the kit is nice quality, the conning tower is a model in itself and the deck detail is so much better than the kit version. Only issue I have is the new deck seems to be about 2" too long for the hull so I'll need to do some trimming in places to reduce the length.

There is a company making etched brass decks I see now.

Craig.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:55:05 am »

Looks like there is plenty on room in there....

You could do like I did with the Seawolf if you still want to convert it to static diving

I am using the Dive controller, sensors and pump from a Thunder tiger Neptune with a bladder

Came to just over 60quid

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40289.0.html

I bought my parts from toysonics in the US as I couldn't find anyone in the EU with spares to hand
http://www.toysonics.com/thunder-tiger-pj6174-control-pcb-neptune.html

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:34:34 pm »

Not such a good system for a Type VII, as you need a much larger volume ballast tank.

Quite a few people have succesfully converted them with Engel tanks, but it's an expensive conversion, and IMO best to fit a bayonet locking ring if using a system which pressurizes the internal WTC.

A simple system based on a vented tank and geared pump would work well and be cheap (£20-30) to build.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 09:03:46 pm »

Thanks for the replies all and I'll have a think about a dive system before I get too far with the build, Didn't realise it could be done that cheap.

Here are some more pictures of the Dream-Arts kit. Shame they have gone as it is really quite nice stuff, especially the decks when compared to the kit versions.

Craig.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 10:11:41 pm »

Craig,

Am not a submariner.

Agree, very fine detail, shame Dream-Arts are no longer are in business.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:23:39 pm »

Make sure you have a means for the air to escape. Some people model the tower with the main hatch left open, that works very well.

Also the large slots of the Robbe deck may not be very scale, but they do vent the deck well, whilst those smaller scale slots might suffer from surface tension. If you get that problem, try spraying a mixture of fairy liquid and water underneath the deck before a run.

Ballast systems can be built very inexpensively, if you have some materials already you can probably build you system for under £10. All you need is a geared pump, a piece of PVC pipe for the tank with some endcaps, and some tubing. Control of the system can be via two microswitches and a servo, or a second ESC. Dive times will typically be slower than an Engel tank.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 09:54:16 pm »

I had to widen some slots on my Dream arts deck as they stopped air escaping and left the main hatch open for the same the Acurate Armour gun is the wrong scale 1:35 i think it is.

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 09:47:41 am »

Thanks for confirming my instincts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.