Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to model making...Making a list for beginners  (Read 2706 times)

junglelands

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New to model making...Making a list for beginners
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:41:23 pm »

Hi, My name is David "Davy" i'm from Armagh North of Ireland. I'm completely new to model making. I was just wondering if there is a list of essential tools that model maker need, example which masking tape is best, what tools you will need for planking are some glues better than others, if you get to much glue on brass etching how or what do i clean it with also what is the best way to fill small gaps in brass etching,wood and plastic. That's the type of questions i really need to know, i look at photo's of models being build put don't know the names of the tools the builder is using. So if anyone has any ideas about a list please post it..Thanks for all your help.
                                                                                                                                                      :-))

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New to model making...Making a list for beginners
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:58:23 pm »

I think you're asking for a list of a very BIG subject.

Perhaps you could narrow down the field of interest a bit?  Do you have an ideas of what sort of model you'd like to build?  Then people might be able to give you a list - which is a good idea.

The sorts of things required for a scratch built wooden yacht are very different to those required for a, for example, all in plastic kit from Billings.

Welcome to the hobby though but be warned!  It can get to you  %%

Robert

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:21:36 pm »

If you are a complete novice to model making then I would suggest starting small-do some static kits-plastic model kits, try some small ones first-try different glues, paints etc, then move on to larger scale model kit. Once again this will give you feel of doing various boats without the cost of a rather expensive kit and little to no experience. Try and get a cheap second hand RC model and strip back make it good again, I have been model making on and off for years and still find different techniques.
As has been said, scratch built can be daunting so a kit will need less tools and time but get you used to working with clamps, glues, paints etc.

Si:)

Just to add there is many different types of products used. I use various super glues, contact adhesives, industrial adhesives like no-nails but stronger, even silicone sealant. Clamps are anything from metal to plastic to various size rubber bands, dress makers pins are useful for holding planking together until glues go off, masking tape is okay for various places but can be weak on curves so no good. Car filler can be used on certain models, brass etchings are normally soldered so using a soldering iron would be a benefit if you are thinking of going down that route. Best course of action is to play about-like I said some cheap plastic model kits will help you in doing smaller things-then move up in scale.

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

junglelands

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:42:16 pm »

I have all 140 Hachette magazine built the bismarck, so i started at the top instead of the bottom lol...It looks a wee bit daunting if you know what i mean, so i need all the help i can get

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:26:07 pm »

Try a Springer, can be made with  "non modelling" tools and materials, paint it like a WWII German flak barge or similar to same scale as your Bismarck.   Gets you on the water quickly, teaches you a lot.  Any model boat clubs near you ?
..well can you land on this?

junglelands

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:45:19 pm »

Thanks for all your replies. My brother in law started to collect built the Bismarck but had to go overseas to work they send him it every month so his wife just kept on getting it, so when he came home he started some of it but stopped and it lay in his shed for a few years so i give him £80 for it. I just don't want to mess it up because i have seen a few on youtube and they look brilliant. I think i will buy a few cheat kits to get started. Can i ask a few questions. What can i use to clean dried glue off brass etching and does anyone know what liquid fillers is. I found this site and I'm going to follow it step by step.

http://bismarck.oehm.net/index.php?ta=conhtml&obj=index&st0=z&stnr=0&sp=2&titel=Startseite

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:55:17 pm »

there is a step by step build on here somewhere I think?
I hope another member will come up with the reference for you.
In the meanwhile,Welcome, and Good Luck
Mick F

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:12:29 pm »

Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.