Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC's for a fleet of club boats  (Read 3057 times)

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
ESC's for a fleet of club boats
« on: May 14, 2013, 05:25:43 am »

Hi All,

over in this thread (http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43287.0.html) I asked about suitable replacement radio gear for our fleet of club boats and mentioned that I had been asked to look at ESC's for them as well.

The club boats are a small-ish semi-planing sport boat that is not directly based on a commercial plan or model - they're about 600mm long I guess, run a geared down 540 type motor through a Bob's Board type controller with power from a 6v 4.5a SLA. Run time is easily the three hours, in most cases, that the boats are in the water. So current draw must be fairly low - down around the 1-2 amp mark would be my guess. The boats are most definitely not fast and certainly do not plane - they are built for endurance and to be robust! The kids bash and crash them and they just keep going.

I was told that when the boats were first built the decision was made to go with the Bob's Board type controller as it was thought to be more robust and longer lasting than an ESC. Given that the kids usually go from full ahead to full astern without a thought or a care, robustness and longevity are important considerations.

My question is whether or not this is something that we should be concerned about with modern ESC's?

It would be entirely possible to go and buy a supply of cheap Chinese ESC's (maybe the notorious blue one?!), but this might not be the best option.

As always, your comments would be appreciated.
Alister

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ESC's for a fleet of club boats
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:48:53 am »

These can be picked up quite cheaply and are made by a well known manufacturer, designed for a 540 Cars so should be perfect
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-45041-Electronic-Speed-Controller-ESC-TEU-104BK-/370510068134

Very Very reliable
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

inertia

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 11:57:41 am »

These can be picked up quite cheaply and are made by a well known manufacturer, designed for a 540 Cars so should be perfect
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-45041-Electronic-Speed-Controller-ESC-TEU-104BK-/370510068134

Very Very reliable
Looking at the spec it appears that there is no voltage regulator (BEC) inside the unit, as the output voltage for the receiver is quoted as a range (rather than the normal fixed value) and this range is identical to that for the input voltage from the battery. Bear in mind that a fully-charged 6-cell pack can exceed 9v. This being the case I'd suggest trying one with the type of receiver to be used just in case the latter isn't happy with high input voltage.
DM

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:49 pm »

Looking at the spec it appears that there is no voltage regulator (BEC) inside the unit, as the output voltage for the receiver is quoted as a range (rather than the normal fixed value) and this range is identical to that for the input voltage from the battery. Bear in mind that a fully-charged 6-cell pack can exceed 9v. This being the case I'd suggest trying one with the type of receiver to be used just in case the latter isn't happy with high input voltage.
DM

As he is using a 6V SLA I didn't think it would be too much of a concern
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

inertia

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 01:07:10 pm »

Oops - missed that!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:35:54 pm »

Remember a few ( %) ) years ago that some of the ancient "Theme" parks had ponds containing up to a dozen boats with a ruggedised set of control boxes with a slot that took two bob bits and gave left/right on a stick and forward/reverse on two push buttons.  The fibre glass hulls and superstructures were molded in Cleckhuddersfax and obtainable in the toy boat comic around the sixties. Any of our "Older" reverent crowd remember who and how?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:56:15 pm »

WE STILL HAVE THESE BOATS !!!! and believe me inflation has taken hold now and its pound coins they swallow !

i also have several of the boats too, some were old prototypes others were retired boats, no uj's direct drive, no rudders , tank steer and some lovely very very low drain maxxon motors.......

i have two at home on a shelf in the workshop

they are still in production, two major firms  create these things still in the UK
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 04:09:50 pm »

If, as you've mentioned, the operators go from zero to max in either direction why bother with speed controllers at all?

use the servo that operates the Bob's board and replace with simple switching instead.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:50:46 pm »

If, as you've mentioned, the operators go from zero to max in either direction why bother with speed controllers at all?

use the servo that operates the Bob's board and replace with simple switching instead.

Thats basicaly what we are doing with our new Have a Go Boats, we are using a servo that moves to operate  a micro switch either side of it to give forward and reverse.

Len.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 07:58:45 pm »

Just about to put a Bobs board in my ute.. for much the same thing for the kids to have a go. Will take a lead of for the bec from the board.

They may be old   %) , they may not be fashionable   8) but they Work  and I have one not being used  :}

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 09:45:26 am »

Thanks for the ideas chaps. I quite like the idea of switches to be honest, but I'll see what the collective thinks.
Alister

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 01:50:20 pm »

If the Bob's Boards have worked well why not keep them?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 10:02:14 pm »

Hi Bob,

the concern is that they are starting to wear a bit and given the interference problems we are starting to see may be adding to these problems. Lots of "if's, buts and maybes" I'm afraid.
Alister

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:06:37 pm »

Simple fix is to solder a thin strip on both edges Chamfered on the wiper side) to ensure you always get full ahead or full astern.
Total cost bit of brass strip and solder.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.