Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Presenting my workshop and how I am fighting uphill to get order into it  (Read 30957 times)

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
  • Best Hobby in the World!

Dear Friends

I would like to introduce you to my workshop, which reflects the multitude of technologies I am touching in the course of my project building a model sail ship from scratch in my own way. Why I am following this path I try to present in my introduction to this forum.

Toi my believe every workshop has a history that leads to its current status and helps to understand why it is as it is. I started to setup a workshop, I was misusing a room of our flat when I started, because, was it me, my wife, or one of the then still very young kids, broke a hole into its hull by moving a "tree" in the room, where our cat was thought to be exercising its claws. I do not know if you have something like this in the USA. As this is painful, i decided to build a work bench that had build below the desk surface an hangar for my hull!

As the room in the cellar in our new house is pretty narrow, I could only take pictures of the workbench in parts. What you see is the portal to my hangar and above it one of the large drawers, what reflects one of my goals, to find a place where to put all the stuff I got in a place to organize it.

The next picture shows the hangar, with its portal open and in it the first hull that I started building, named the Sabrina. You also can see some boxes in which I have stored wine and champagne bottles, but also the lead sheet I got to source my needs for lead in my boat. It came from a person I know, who offers services for dentists and this lead sheet was used to isolated the X-ray-room at a dentist office being closed. So I got enough lead for the foreseeable future!

The next picture shows the workbenches upper left side. In the front you get a partial view of my first generation work bench for electronics and behind you can see how I was building the frame of a shelve planned to be placed in the empty space above the blue cabinets and below the neon lights to place in it the assortment boxes that would offer many, many places where to store goods in an hopefully organized way. On the left a cabinet, an identical one is on the right side and above it another shelver compartment and on top of this all a place to store those long things that have on place else.

A more detailed view to the shelve and the cabinets.

Next a view of the lower right side of my workbench. being familiar to work with wood I chose that material to build the structure, something that proved to be the wrong decision, as with the time some parts of the structure got worn out leading to make it difficult to operate the drawers and in consequence the former nice view of the work bench suffered, as can be appreciated in this picture. The left column of drawers reflects the size of my workbench while we lived in a flat, the second column of drawers was added when we moved into this house and I did get one of the cellar rooms to be my workshop. i had more room, so I could extend the size of the workbench.

Next you see my first generation electronic workbench. As it happens, it gets to be a place where I put all that somehow belongs to electronics and so it is one of the seeds where the chaos growths! I placed it into en empty space available between the door to enter the cellar and my workbench.

This picture shows the module t make available the different DC voltages I source from a modified PC power supply and the 24 VDC i go get by using a doubler for the 12 VDC of the 600W power supply. As my eyes quality is deteriorating, diabetes plays a role in it, I always try to have good sources of light available.

Having introduced you to my 1. generation electronic workbench and just about to finish the second generation one, I will pass to introduce you to my brand new electronic workbench. I used for this a piece of furniture that was once used to have the lathe placed on it.

I have build a second workbench in my workshop, so the lathe was moved there and this piece of furniture got available to be used as a luxury electronic workbench! here a picture when I cleared it to have the electronic workbench made out of it!

Next a picture that shows the chaos, before the work on this workbench started by now placing all electronics related stuff there! But it also shows the chaos spreading onto my office desk and in front of all this a first picture of my second hull, the boat will be named Carina.

This is a picture that shows my office desk as it looks when I am working on it. I do make technical translations!

The 2 LED monitors are of great use for that work, but also useful to play and to work with software tools on my PC!

Next you see how I am integrating a steel made structure into the unit, as it is important to have good earth while working on electronic components. The unit is upside down, so you can appreciate how I am putting carpet tiles on its bottom, so I can move the unit without scratching the tiles of the floor!

Next you can see a series of pictures showing details of my power supply unit, moved from the former electronic workbench to the new one.

Now a picture of the complete module, a view from the rear, upside down:

Now a view from the front, the unit placed on a side!

The many sockets are typical for me. There cannot ever be too many of those available! They are not yet in their final position, as I can still implement the connections to it and to the AC main power of the house.

Next you get a view of the unit now integrated into my electronic workbench. I was still planing how to realize the next details and how to integrate the oscilloscope into the workbench!

Next a detailed picture of the power outlets and the distribution of the different DC tensions supplied from the modified PC power supply.

Next a picture from the top, that shows the need to protect the unit from objects that may be falling from above and could make short circuits!

Next a picture that documents the attention I am paying to ensure an unobstructed diffusion of the heat generated by the electrical equipment in the workbench!

As for the electronics I do build my own circuits where required, I have build a unit to expose the picture of a circuit printed on a transparency for an inkjet printer to a board with positive photosensitive coating.

You can appreciate the picture of a circuit on the glas below which you find a UV light source.

This picture allows to see the UV light source, which is a facial tanner purchased at ebay for just 1.- Euro plus transport cost, about 1.30 USD! You canīt get the UV lights cheaper!

Here you get the exposition unit closed, a board could be exposed now to the UV Light!

Passing the circuit designed using a free version of an adequate tool and the normal inkjet printer to make a electronic circuit board is just one part of the challenge. The other one results from the fact that the most interesting modern advanced circuits come in advanced packages difficult to be handled by amateurs. i did want to get an equally easy, high quality way to handle, i.e. packages with i.e. 120 pins and 0.015748 inch distance between center of pin to center of pin. For this I do use soldering paste and a technique named "reflow soldering".

This unit is build using a pizza oven, which I purchased via amazon for less that 40.- USDīs. as you can see, great attention has been placed on üpreventing possible fire coming from the unit. The dark spots on the right side came from my experiments using a gas welding unit to verify to myself that no heat comes to cause harm out of this unit. I am trying to show, that all this units can be build by oneself to get a proper equipment at a very low price.

Now I finish with the electronic part of my workshop and go to the machinery I have available. I started using equipment I had available, my good old Bosch drilling machine. During a certain task I will present in my report of building the Carina from scratch, I reached the limit I could achieve in exactness of the work and as i happen to have saved some money from translation jobs I purchased myself a milling machine with digital indication for 3 axes!

Last year, recovering from my stroke, a good friend of mine from Spain helped me to organize my workshop and we decided to build a second workbench to separate the polluting works like milling or the use of a lathe from those more clean ones like electronics or my office desk.

So, the first workbench presented to you is to the left of this picture. At this place before I had a couch that also was used for guests and which has been moved to the "clean" section of my room in the cellar! As you can see, the whole workbench is build around a steel structure that is build of steel beams, screwed together, to be ready if I should happen to have to relocate again! Once my kids are all out from home we plan to move into something smaller and cheaper!

You see my turning machine placed on the left side and my milling machine on the right side. Great effort was taken to place both machines at such places, that I did not run into problems working on larger parts.

On this picture you can see that I have plenty of space below the second workbench to store stuff. As of now this space is used to put stuff in boxes there, which than will be moved to their final well organized place. As I will advance the amount of stuff stored there will be getting less and less. But having such a place to deposit stuff helps to create order at other places in my workshop.

As you can see, still the tendency to put things that do not have yet their right spot at any place builds the seed for chaos! But the main reason to show this picture is to show the material I use to make it easy to clean the space after working on one of the machines! This wooden boards are normally use in construction to build the receptacle to fill with concrete. The surface of this boards resists a lot of strain, mechanical and chemical and dirt does not adhere to its surface, so it is easy to clean after working with the machine.

Here a picture of the milling machine. I am doing a mayor work to clean and adjust the machine after having been in use for a longer time. Excellent exercise to get to know the machine better and adjusting it, to fix problems it had and i did not notice before because of lack of familiarity with such a machine before!

But you can see also confirmed here my love to have good light source at a working place and to have as many as possible power outlets available! here at the milling machine,

and here at my turning machine!

I close this presentation of my workshop by presenting the last 2 units!

First my band-saw. It was built in East Germany, the former communist Germany. Simple but rock solid and doing its job, probably much longer than I will live! I purchased it for just a few dollars from the person I purchased my turning machine and after some work on it it is now fully and reliably operating!

Next my turning table:

This works together with my milling machine and makes it possible to mill round forms. It did cost more than my turning machine!
Best regards Hellmut

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!

That is a workshop and a half Helmut...loads of stuff and gadgets  :-))  To fund your models use the pizza maker on the side to make a few snacks...you can also use the UV light source to check for any dodgy Euro notes  %%

Top stuff though.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer

just be aware that fluorescent lighting in a workshop can cause a strobe effect and make rotating machinery appear stationary. as long as you are aware this is not a problem, but in a moment of innatention it is possible to reach into a rotating machine that appears stationary, an incandescent position-able spotlight would solve this.
Grendel

tugs62

• Full Mayhemer

the only thing i see missing from your workshop is the tea coffee and kettle  :-)) :-))

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire

Welcome to the forum. Love the work shop. Im looking forward to your tutorial posts and if i understand hopefully willm be able to incorperate them into my own builds.
Mike

Neil

• Full Mayhemer

O M G..........I daren't show mine.......wodney came to it this morning and had to go home for his jabs to ward off all sorts of ailments {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

Welcome Hellmut.......many would be jealous of such a workshop .......including me O0
Just a word of warning........ >>:-( keep the dust levels much lower than you see in Neil's workshop or the 3.3 + 4 + 5 +12 + 24 Vdc power supplies will arc across & self destruct............ {-) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Derek

May be I failed to pass the message. But the reorg of my work shop has had on of the goals, to separate those parts that do generate dust from those that do not generate dust. But the electrical infrastructure is pretty save the way it is build. As you probably know, to have an arc build up you either have to have the lines with different voltages follow a path that get them pretty close to each other, usually the tendency for an arc to build up required pretty high voltages between neighbouring lines and/or extremely high current flow. This is what makes the power lines of electrified railroads so dangerous. last year again a teen went on the top of a carriage getting so close to those power lines he got killed.

In my setup, while the PC power supply i.e. can supply 32 A over some of the lines, but for electronic circuitry the current flow remains very low! But also so, the lines are distant enough and are using a cabling with such a big cross area, that they can withstand even the current that appears during a short circuit. In this case the 16A fuse of the house would interrupt the power line very fast! Still so, I am convinced your advice is very important to anyone not so familiar with the dangers. What I am really missing in my work shop is an adequate smoke alarm system. But I have been extremely careful to prevent possible sources for fire and have made sure that all power lines do take advantage of the security features of the electrical infrastructure of the power lines in the house. Key is to always have all power circuits well connected to the ground lines!

As to the smoke detection I have on my agenda to build the electronics to pass eventual smoke warnings so that the alarm rings in the whole house, as an acoustic warning just in the work shop placed in the cellar would not be heard from the other floors in the house and radio connected systems would not pass the steel/concrete walls and floors of this house, as I know from cellulars not to get connected when in the work shop!
Best regards Hellmut

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

Im jealous!  :o ;)

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer

Too nice! You have to see it in context! I have lost my job as a director in the telecommunication industry in 2000 and never got employed again since! So my sail boat project and my work shop have become, next to consulting and technical translations, the focus of my life (of course in importance long behind the role my beloved wife and my kids play in my life!). The challenge to finally get some order into my work shop and into the thousand of pieces that have accumulated over time, more than 12 years! believe me, I would prefer to have a job employed over having this work shop!
Best regards Hellmut

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire

Hi Derek

May be I failed to pass the message. But the reorg of my work shop has had on of the goals, to separate those parts that do generate dust from those that do not generate dust. But the electrical infrastructure is pretty save the way it is build. As you probably know, to have an arc build up you either have to have the lines with different voltages follow a path that get them pretty close to each other, usually the tendency for an arc to build up required pretty high voltages between neighbouring lines and/or extremely high current flow. This is what makes the power lines of electrified railroads so dangerous. last year again a teen went on the top of a carriage getting so close to those power lines he got killed.

In my setup, while the PC power supply i.e. can supply 32 A over some of the lines, but for electronic circuitry the current flow remains very low! But also so, the lines are distant enough and are using a cabling with such a big cross area, that they can withstand even the current that appears during a short circuit. In this case the 16A fuse of the house would interrupt the power line very fast! Still so, I am convinced your advice is very important to anyone not so familiar with the dangers. What I am really missing in my work shop is an adequate smoke alarm system. But I have been extremely careful to prevent possible sources for fire and have made sure that all power lines do take advantage of the security features of the electrical infrastructure of the power lines in the house. Key is to always have all power circuits well connected to the ground lines!

As to the smoke detection I have on my agenda to build the electronics to pass eventual smoke warnings so that the alarm rings in the whole house, as an acoustic warning just in the work shop placed in the cellar would not be heard from the other floors in the house and radio connected systems would not pass the steel/concrete walls and floors of this house, as I know from cellulars not to get connected when in the work shop!
Derek was making a joke, he didnt mean it seriously :} . Theres a lot of dry sense of humour on this forum, it mainly being an English forum and the English being reputable for their dry sense of humour you will come accross it a lot. Dont know what Dereks excuse is, hes in Australia, maybe its old ties? :} 

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats

Dont know what Dereks excuse is, hes in Australia, maybe its old ties? :}

{-) {-) {-)

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

jealous :D . want a workshop but no where to put one. <:(
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer

You know, I am of german parents, but born and raised in South America. When I describe myself I describe myself in analogy to the text of an austrian singer called Falco. In his song he says: I am a mixture of Albert Einstein and of Arnold Schwarzenegger, I got the body from Albert Einstein and the intelligence from Arnold Schwarzenegger! Adapting it to me I say: I am a mixture of a german and a south american. I have the nice way of being of a german and I am as silent as a south american!
Best regards Hellmut

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer

Don't know what Dereks excuse is, hes in Australia, maybe its old ties?
:}

{-) {-) {-)

{-) {-) {-)

C'mon guys :o :o <*< <*< anyone for cricket %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

Hellmut....sincerely no offence meant......I am sure you will not let the dust build up on you switch board to cause the fusion .... %)
We do sometimes tend to make a joke....it is good for laughter  {-) ...I think I may be 7 years older than you
Just to prove my case.......here is an old tie....from Adelaide University circa 1935...owned by an Australian born & trained architect
I proudly inherited it many years after his passing.......Derek....[family of First Fleet convict stock to Australia].......  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire

Don't know what Dereks excuse is, hes in Australia, maybe its old ties?
:}

{-) {-) {-) 
C'mon guys :o :o <*< <*< anyone for cricket %) %)
Marvellous idea. Is there a dress code to enter the pavillion? How about an old tie?  %) :embarrassed:

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer

No problem with me. Please be tolerant when my cultural background might result in something that might offend any of you! Be assured I have never the intention to offend anybody!
Best regards Hellmut

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire

Do not worry hellmut. Noone is offended as you have not offended anyone. Noone means any offence to you either.  Jokes and silly banter between members are common place on this forum amongst us all, it what gives mayhem its charm and why people come back.  :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer

No problem with me. Please be tolerant when my cultural background might result in something that might offend any of you! Be assured I have never the intention to offend anybody!

Hellmutt,

Welcome aboard, you will fit in well.

You will find that us Aussies (Australians) and Kiwi's (New Zealanders) are the saner ones from among this bunch, because we live down under and have culture.  O0 O0 %) %)
We also are very understanding,  >:-o >:-o  have a great sense of humour, <:( <:( loved by everyone  <*< <*< are also modest  ;D ;D as well as being humble  :} :} O0 O0 {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad

{-) I believe it, honest I do,

Ray {-) {-) {-)
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Presenting my workshop and how I am fighting uphill to get oder into it
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »

Well my dear friends, since the last time I posted I was able to top my health problems form last year April, where a stroke hit me and I did recover pretty well. This year in October my heart decided to stop working for some seconds and this a couple of time, fortunately not long enough to leave permanent damage in my brain, but...
A nearly 4 second stop of my hearts beating happened while in the urgency in the hospital and connected to the supervising systems. Well, I got a pacemaker. Then, a week back home I got a thrombosis in my right shoulder, what left my right hand, my right arm and my right shoulder inflated like a balloon! So I had to take more medicine and was back home for just weeks when I had again serious problems one morning. resulted that the dosis and medicament combination was not ok. Now, finally, since one month I am pretty stable with my health and as a consequence I did start again working on my work shop!

So also I started to use my new electronic work place in my workshop. You see the my drum now connected to the stepper motor, the drum still far from ready, but I only want to continue the work on it, when experiments with the stepper motor proved to be ok. But the result of it, was that I got aware of that I was far from having the infrastructure to store all the boards and other electronic nice stuff and, I became painfully aware, that my old work bench, made fully of wood, was starting to show problems to open and close the drawers as the wood had given up to the pressure by the heavy stuff in them. So I also decided to fix that. The result is a total chaos!

The iron bar you see next to the drill was screwed to the legs of the work bench table in such ways that the wooden plates on which the drawers slide rest. One of the many problems encountered was that the drawers on the right side next to the heater, the white stuff that can be seen between the 2 work shops, could not be taken out, as the space to the new work bench on the right was not big enough! So I had to remove the from cover of each drawer and the guides to both sides of each drawer so that I could remove them through the opening for the drawers on the left side! Additionally all drawers were now about 2cm too high to fit between the wooden sheet and the iron bar, so every drawer had to be unscrewed, marked and cut to fit. What a benefit to have my band saw!

To stay motivated I do jump between different projects being pursued at the same time. My electronic work bench, here a photo while I was experimenting with the stepper motor and the drum

But what tons of wooden dust was generated by this in what was meant the "clean" working space in my workshop. Well, the difference between theory and reality!

While it looks pretty good, to my standards, it just proved to be missing space and drawers to store the many electronic circuit boards and the tooling and other stuff.

So I have started to build a shelf for drawers in the empty space to both sides of the center section of the wall of the electronic work bench. For this I used the wooden boards from an old "xxxxx" rust from a neighbors that had been about to throw it away. my family calls me a messy, because I store that kind of thinks for later use!

In this last picture you can see that quite a few things had to be taken into account to define the dimensions of the drawers. One issue in they have to fit into the available space, well the picture before the last proves they fit. Boards of what is called the "euro board" form factor do fit perfectly in them. But also the height has to be adequate. But you see that due to this also the electronic work bench is messed with stuff waiting to be stored away!

But as you can see, by doing a lot of stuff myself, even being short in cash, a lot can be accomplished!
Best regards Hellmut

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 07:32:49 pm »

Hellmut

We've missed you! You certainly have had a tough time health-wise.

It's good to see you back in action - keep up the good work on the workshop!

Mike

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 01:59:18 pm »

Thanks for missing me. Indeed I had some rough 2 years. In 2012 I suffered a stroke, in 2013 due to problematic medication I got problems with the heart rhythm that led to multiple times the heart stopping to beat. In one of those opportunities I suffered some damage of my brain cells that has make me lose the ability to concentrate on something for too long. So I got a pacemaker and this led to a thrombosis. You never know what this is good for! While taking the new medicament Xarelto I got a second light stroke, to my surprise and that of the doctors as I was taking medicament to remove the thrombosis! So the Thrombosis was good for something! Well, as you know the brain is able to reorganize itself if a function is used but the original location damaged. So my projects related to my build from scratch of the Carina and the work on my workshop are like a therapy to overcome my problems!

A lot nevertheless has been done since my last contribution, be it working on my workshop or on my sailboat!
Best regards Hellmut

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 03:20:25 pm »

Hellmut

Wow! Thats quite a list of problems - you must have the constitution of an ox.  O0

Hopefully you are on a steady climb back to health. The brain does have remarkable powers of reorganisation after bits of it are damaged, so keep up the occupational therapy in your workshop!

If you can manage it, some pictures would be nice.  :-)

Best wishes,
                     Mike
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.