Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PVA release agent  (Read 3216 times)

para_handy

• Full Mayhemer
PVA release agent
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:28:49 am »

Hi there all, can someone tell me can you spray pva release agent on the plug.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: PVA release agent
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:29:31 pm »

Yes. Use light coats- mist it on. I have had problems with separation when applying PVA over wax. I find a light coat of hairspray first (allow to dry) cures that, and as it's water soluble, it is just as easy to remove, plus it has the advantage of coming ready to use in an aerosol can. 

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:41:52 pm »

Hi, best to spray if you can, one coat,as any subsequent coat dissolves the first one applied. Spray is a much better system than using a sponge as the sponge tends to leave lines that can, at times be a devil to get rid of in the mould. This is applied over the waxed mould. My opinion only.
                        Nemesis

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:06 pm »

Hi all i'v ever used is Meguiars mirror glaze release wax never had a problem never had the need to use PVA.I'm a boat boat builder for a living got the T shirt for most things that can go wrong with GRP and on big fishing boats when it goes wrong it can go very wrong !!!!! <:( {-)
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 10:44:17 am »

Always interesting to hear other perspectives. I find if you ask ten different laminators how they prep a master or tool for laminating, you get ten different answers.

I have used wax on its own, PVA on its own, wax and PVA, wax and hairspray and also some of the hi-tech release agents that you wipe and leave to dry.

If you use wax alone, I find you have to be extremely thorough in your coverage, and even then, some of the resin tends to cut through and stick on a master, most likely because I have tended to use air dry paints which aren't as tough as the two pack paints pros tend to use for finishing tools.

I think when starting out you need to gain confidence, and that can easily be compromised if your first attempt ends with a locked in tool. So I always think a two stage release process is worth the effort, as unless you make a complete pigs ear of things, you are almost assured a release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.