Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MODEL MOTORS DIRECT  (Read 18020 times)

ajb68

MODEL MOTORS DIRECT
« on: June 02, 2007, 07:55:47 pm »

8) Has anyone got contact details for Alistare graham at model motors direct as i cant seem to find his advert anywhere   ???

DaveB

Re: MODEL MOTORS DIRECT
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 08:39:28 pm »

Hi
The address you need is
A.J Graham
Model Motors Direct
Keepers Cottage
Home Farm
Iwerne Minster
Dorset DT11 8LB
Tel 01747 812440
 He is at Alfold this weekend so don't phone untill monday
Dave B

ajb68

model motors direct
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:54:24 pm »

has any one got contact details for alistair graham , i have asked before on this forum but cant find it now !! ??? ???

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: model motors direct
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 04:15:56 pm »

here:

The address you need is
A.J Graham
Model Motors Direct
Keepers Cottage
Home Farm
Iwerne Minster
Dorset DT11 8LB
Tel 01747 812440
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Tom Eccles

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

Further to boatmadmans' reply.

Alistair is not on the interweb and if you 'phone him, morning is best.

I spoke to Alistair at Ellesmere Port earlier this year and found him very knowledgeable (Mind you, compared to me that category includes about 99.99% of any population)

I recently bought one of his big Buhlers for my Cruiser Tug.

Cheers
Tom

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:01:15 pm »

I see Model Motors Direct have now got a website and email address!  :o

http://www.modelmotorsdirect.com/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 06:17:21 pm »

A bit more technical data would be useful.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:17 pm »

I agree with Colin, me being a real tyro with motors. However, good on Alister for joining the WWW community. Hopefully more info will follow. I see he has a link to this site so it can't be all bad  O0

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 09:37:39 pm »

Now who swore on the forum!!!!!!!!!!.This is purely a personal observation and this is MY EXPERIENCE with Motors from Alistair.
Fitted one of his Bullher motors that he reccomended for my Tid tug with a 3" prop had it on 12 and 24v it WOULD NOT ULL TEH SKIN OF A RICE PUDDING this is fact.
Tried his 555 motors in a Yorkshireman tug and also in the Happy Hunter binned the dammed things.
One of our members fitted a bullher to one of  his boats tried both 12/24v and guess what he took it out.
Derek Garn on this site also had 2 of them fitted to his Happy Hunter guess what he also took them out.
These are TRUE facts don't believe me contact Derek Garn and ask him why he took them out simply because they were Pooh Pooh.
Sorry but BEWARE buying any motors from this chappie who incidentally has been BANNED from the Blackpool show contact A Model World on this one.
ALL THE FACTS ABOVE ARE 100% TRUE . I DO NOT LIE, I DO NOT SLANDER PEOPLE, I TELL THE TRUTH AS I SEE IT, IT IS FACT

Stavros

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 10:22:48 pm »

I have 555 motors in my Rother lifeboat and 777's in the Slipway Trent and I have to say the performance is excellent. I swear by his motors not at them!

Richie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 10:54:15 pm »

I fitted a 555 to Jan's Puffer, ideal for the job.  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

banjo

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 04:42:08 am »

Stavros

I have read your critique of Model Motors and its owner but after seeing your bit about motors and props in the "Fireboat" thread I think you must be just unlucky.

::)

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 08:21:12 am »

....Sorry but BEWARE buying any motors from this chappie who incidentally has been BANNED from the Blackpool show .....
Why?
I do find him a bit of a strange character, but I have two of his 777s in my Nangee hull (on 6 volts) driving the Schottels... no problems, not blown the 10 amp fuses. I have a Bulher in Canning and that has no problems either, runs almost silently with all the speed I need, (I'm tempted to put on a bigger prop)

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 08:47:36 am »

I'm sure Mark W will correct me if I'm wrong (in his usual succinct way, no doubt  ;)) but I gather that this gentleman insisted on being accommodated at the last Ellesmere Show without prior booking, and afterwards refused to pay his stall rent because he hadn't sold what he judged was enough to justify the amount requested. Very commercially savvy, eh?
I have numerous customers who have purchased goods from him, and I have to say that the vast majority of them are in Stavros' camp. For that reason alone I don't recommend his motors to my customers.
IMHO, for most scale model boats Graupner and Robbe between them do a more than adequate selection. MFA-Como motors are also reliable and good value. I have handled a couple of Bryan Ward's T-series motors for big tugs and they seem consistent (if a touch expensive) but, other than that, I prefer to steer clear of ex-industrial or ex-military exotica.
In general terms I reckon it's advisable to stick with 3- or 5- pole motors from Japan, Malaysia and PRC. Like a McD's burger, if it says XYZ on the label then you always know what you're gonna get.....................
FLJ

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:20:09 pm »

Going along with FLJ, if you buy a branded motor that was intended for model use, you are on safe ground.  With a surplus/pulled motor you have your fingers crossed.  I have several club members who have used Buhler motors and been very happy with them.  Others have Johnsons.  Both of these manufacture a huge variety of motors for all manner of jobs to all sorts of specification, and some of their offerings are totally unsuited to our applications.  If the one you get coincides with what you wanted, that is a plus.  Should it ever require replacement, that could be a problem, especially in a multi-motor hull.
Years back I gained some 11 pole 385 size motors from some dead 24 volt printers that crossed my path.  On 12 volts they have been superb performers, but when they need replacing, I have a trip to the model shop for a conventional one.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Proteus

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 12:36:41 pm »

Going along with FLJ, if you buy a branded motor that was intended for model use, you are on safe ground. 

The problem with that is a lot of people went out and bought  Protech motors, they are no longer made. they have gone down the brushless route and if you look at the lists of brushless  motors  from some of the BIG German company's you wonder how long brushed will be available. and as for buying off a UK kit manufactures, how many have been up for sale or been sold in the lasy few years, so where would you be as Malcom says years on when you need that new motor.
I think the best way is to think about maybe having to change a motor down the line and build accordingly

Fredy

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 12:47:26 pm »

The trouble I find is the fact there are so many different motors around, just look at the Graupner, Robbe, MFA,
RS & Farnell catalogues! How the hell do you choose and don't get me started on Brushless motor numbers.

At the end of the day, very few of us buy a motor by looking up the specifications, most of us go by other
modellers or manufactures recommendations.... don't we?

Motors.... one man's meat is another man's poison.....

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 03:41:09 pm »

I found the MFA geared motor so noisey that I didn't fit it....

titoneri

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 04:16:21 pm »

After all this I feel I have to add my donation. I know of at least 9 fellow modellers who have in the past purchased motors form this company and to be honest how he has stayed in business totally amazes. having worked in electronics for 30 plus years the specification he states for each motor are miles out. I have tried 4 labeled motors of the same type and each one is diffrent in resistance. internal build and coil winding wire thickness. which means to me they are purchased as a job lot. 2 of the motors stated as 550 are in fact 545 type motors made in china and sold by others much cheaper. the rest either pulled high current or could not move the boat under load conditions. its easy to stick a sticker on and tell the world how great it is, trying it is something else.

Cheap or if you think they are cheap may not be infact from him very expensive, unreliable and risky does he care no and chances are if buying job lots he is bound to get a certain percentage of success stories.

Also any Boat manufacture stating buy your motors from Direct Motors attitude to quality must be dubious. leave well alone.

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 05:14:32 pm »

Well I am glad that someone agrees with what I say

Stavros

Proteus

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 05:21:15 pm »

Also any Boat manufacture stating buy your motors from Direct Motors attitude to quality must be dubious. leave well alone.

Sorry I did not make it clear , it was model manufactures /Traders being sold or changed hands in the last few years.  the people who take over may have a different source for motors.

Fredy

DaveB

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 06:53:25 pm »

I can only speak from experience i have used the 555 motors, the 777 motors and some of the buhlers over the last 6 years or so and as yet had no problems.
Dave

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 10:56:01 pm »

....BEWARE buying any motors from this chappie who incidentally has been BANNED from the Blackpool show contact A Model World on this one.....

I stand by Stavros on this
I was there as well and saw the said eviction.  Im not sorry to say that I wont be buying from MMD.

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Photoman

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 09:05:11 pm »

Does anyone know if Model Motors Direct is still going?

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 09:22:22 pm »

I spoke to the man last week , yes he is still about and trading.
He was talking of going to " a big show up north"  Mind you, "up north" could mean Bristol !
in my own little world
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.