Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prop to shaft attachment.  (Read 1642 times)

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Prop to shaft attachment.
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:46:04 pm »

Hi All,could someone give me advice,as i am a newbie.I have a second  hand Model Slipway Rescue boat i am putting gear in,2.4 etc but have discovered the prop.is just a push fit onto the shaft ie.no screw thread and lock nut,the shaft is only small.What would be the best way to attach/glue in on,plastic to metal? I am a bit doubtful and can quite see it becoming detached in the middle of the lake.Many thanks in anticipation.Bob.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Prop to shaft attachment.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:50:39 am »

Epoxy
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:47:18 am »

New shaft and threaded prop.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:20:04 pm »

As it is a second hand boat are you totally sure it is a press fit onto the shaft ????   Is there any chance of you posting us a picture of the shaft....I have a funny feeling what you are seeing is the remains of the old prop...ie the brass threaded ferrule that the prop is bonded to....have you tried twisting it off with a pair of pliers to try and turn it off ...just a thought

Dave

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 05:28:44 pm »

Many thanks to you all for your help and Dave,now you've explained it i understand what's happened.The brass ferrell bit is missing from the prop.and the threaded part from the shaft has probs.corroded and fell off,anyway it's not there.In need to source a new shaft and propeller now and job done, can sail it with confidence.I am learning fast [newbie],thanks again to all.Great Forum.Bob.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »

Have a word with steve at model boat bits.... he will make you an inner shaft to your exact requirements
http://modelboatbits.com/
Top bloke with a very fast turn around on bespoke parts (just over a week from order to delivery in Finland)
Also if you have a Huco type coupling then I suggest you change it for one of his couplers
if you have one of these....
http://modelboatbits.com/shop/category_UNIVERSAL%2520COUPLINGS/UNIVERSAL-COUPLINGS.html?sessid=DenKZdKkMSbGzeGXRkMWqGRHwyA78F4sbd2tTO9XoTutIDjKBn32QdtsTX3GTcvh&shop_param=cid%3D%26

change it for one of these
http://modelboatbits.com/shop/category_MICROFLEX%2520COUPLINGS/MICROFLEX-COUPLINGS.html?sessid=DenKZdKkMSbGzeGXRkMWqGRHwyA78F4sbd2tTO9XoTutIDjKBn32QdtsTX3GTcvh&shop_param=cid%3D%26

Really makes a difference (much quiter in operation)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.