Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Glue etc.

What is the best wood glue to use ?

(1/12) > >>

steviejay0:
Hi everyone,
another newbie question I`m afraid. I`m just starting a boat build from a plan of the Veron River Police Launch and I am just wondering what is the best glue to use ? Ive been an aeromodeller for many years now and have got a few glues already.I`ve got Cyano (thick / thin), Aliphatic, 5 min Epoxy and Evo Stik weatherproof PVA wood glue.Are any/all of these suitable for  :} boat building ? This is my first attempt at this, so I dont want it falling apart in the water !! I`ve always fancied building a boat properly as opposed to just buying one ready made, although there are some lovely boats out there. I also have a plan set for the Sea Queen as another future project if this one goes ok. Cheers chaps,steviejay0

kmmbcwebmaster:
Yes they are suitable for boats  :-))

derekwarner:
steviejay0...use the search facility here on Mayhem..........there must be a thousands words posted in threads on the subject
....... :o  some prefer some or each of the types you nominate....others have alternate preferences.......spend a few hours reviewing the thoughts of others experience........

Derek

roycv:
Hi Stevie, nice plan to start with.  Ply and balsa work well and PVA glues are good as well.  You are going to cover them with varnish or paint so they will be waterproofed.
Re building the Police launch, if I remember correctly the cabin floor and the skinning of the lower hull form a sealed volume, I would avoid that, either by having a section of the floor lift up or not having the floor continuous from stem to stern.  If you get a leak in the skinning you will have to dig up the floor to deal with it.
So also make sure you varnish the insides of the hull skin.
I often look at the plans with the intention of building then something else catches my eye.
good luck,
Roy

rickles23:
Hi,

I have always used Aquadhere Exterior!

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version