The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

IRON DUKE 1914

(1/77) > >>

Geoff:
I'm looking to build a model of this ship in 1/96 scale and am having trouble in locating the hull lines.

To clarify:

- I recall that a gentleman by the name of "Ron H" had constructed a splendid model and I was able to download from the thread a copy of the bulkheads but clearly there was some distortion in scanning as the weather deck beam of the aft lines was narrower that the weather deck beam of the fore lines (they must be the same amidships). Despite resizing on a copier I still can't get the lines to match as if I have the right beam then the depth is off. Also I don't know the distance between the various bulkheads but my suspicions are that there are a number half bulkhead lines so it's not just a case of a linear division.

- I have plans from "Sambrook" purchased many years ago from Maritime Models but have lost the lines part albeit I recall the lines I had were headed as Benbow (sister ship).

- A friend also has these plans and kindly scanned the Benbow bulkheads, but they are entirely different from the ones used by RH. There are also some clear inacurate lines with bulges/bumps, so I'm not certain of those plans either and there is no tumblehome showed at all. It's posible these are inside frames but there is a distinct bulge in the bow area which is almost absent on the RH ones?

- Does anyone know if the Sambrook plans are still available and/or have copies or any other suggestions where I can obtain the right bulkheads/lines.

It's all very confusing as I was anticipating a good match but the two plans appear to be completley different. I have started to draw my own based on the RH ones but it's a long process and I'd rather build to exact lines than a guestimate.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that may be forthcoming.

Cheers

Geoff

Colin Bishop:
Dave Metcalf has bought out the Sambrook plans range and now sells them although they don't seem to be mentioned on his website.; http://business.virgin.net/metcalf.mouldings/catalogue.htm
Plans for Iron Duke are listed on the hard copy I got from him at a recent show.
Colin

Pondweed:
To hand I had 3 drawings of hull lines:

A, a 13.5inch battlecruiser (Lion, Princess Royal or Queen Mary)
B, HMS Dreadnought
C, HMS warspite (with hull blisters)

If I was to form a view, I'd say the battlecruisers had more tumbleholme, then it would be Warspite with Dreadnought last.

The 3 hull lines attached in case you don't get any further plan sheets you can have a more informed educated guess.

P.S. There's a book that may be of use to you about the building of a model of the Orion class HMS Thunderer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1848320590/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=historin3d-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=1848320590

While it's not your ship, the same materials and principles to construction will apply along with all the same fittings such as anchors, funnels, boats, decking, hatches, turrets, etc, will be the same, they are just arranged in a different way. :-)

Pondweed:
Regards the distance apart each frame is: you have the model length then divide by the number of frames. Simples. Where you may have trouble is if you don't have the side view of the 'lines' sheet.

Though you have a good 90% of the information from the hull sections alone, what you need is a good representation of the ram bow and how the area around the props and rudders was shaped. If yu can't get a bonafide plan, the above book may help here.

Good Luck with the model.

Bob K:

--- Quote from: Pondweed on July 11, 2013, 08:55:52 pm --- what you need is a good representation of the ram bow and how the area around the props and rudders was shaped.
--- End quote ---

Some lateral thinking:-  You could buy an Aifix model of HMS Iron Duke to directly scale aspects not apparent on the hull sections, and how the sections such as ram bow and around props blend together.  A good digital vernier can be very useful, plus the eye can see the blends better on a 3D 'master'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version