Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ROBBE PT15 build  (Read 18078 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
ROBBE PT15 build
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:09:58 pm »

Hi all

A quick explanation first - under normal circumstances I would fall into the category of a scratch builder/modeller.   I have no experience (or very limited experience of building kits).  Some people may say that scratch building and kit building are much the same, some people think they are worlds apart.

At this present time, my own personal opinion is they are worlds apart.

I can foresee where it would be a lot easier for a person who builds model kits to move into the field of scratch building, but, it becomes a lot more difficult for a person who have grown up with scratch building to move over to Kit building.

Anyway, my friends, the Robbe Kit was bought for me as a present.   I had no influence on the choice of kit.   It came, as a I say, as a complete surprise.

Anyone reading this thread, looking for advice whether it is a good kit/a bad kit/good fittings/good mouldings etc., I feel I would not be in a position with suffience knowledge of kits to give comments.

This is just purely build straight from the box, and following the instructions.

I am not going to amend any methods of building unless it is extremely necessary or any part of the moulding.  I am treating it as a complete novice would with his first kit  ;D

Here we go then....

Picture number 1: I have installed the recommended motor and running gear on this picture also, the rudders and fittings.

Picture number 2: One this picture you will notice (as on the previous one) that I have already finished off the internals of the model and begun to put the decks on.  The only problem I encountered was the shortage of materials for to support the decks and also, in the plans and instructions Robbe refer to an 'old style' speed controller which is semi-mechanical and also a larger sized servo for the rudder.  These can be worked around quite easily, the only thing to watch for though, is that the rudder servo must be mounted well into the starboard side of the boat.   If not, it fouls the supplied vac-formed battery tray.  More will follow.
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: ROBBE PT15 build
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 03:20:36 pm »

Hi again - here is stage 2

What I have noticed is, during the build, and also reading the instructions. 

There is a gap between the two decks.  There is no material/explanation of how to fill this in.   The picture on the box lid clearly shows that this gap is filled in by the bulkhead going from side to side.  I have made a piece from some offcut which I salvaged from the piece I trimmed off the hull.   This was fashioned and glued into place.

The next problem I came across was, when I had to put the combings around the centre opening, I followed the instructions of the book and put them flush with the insides of the opening.

With a bit of hindsight, what I should have done, was read further through the instructions and realised that there is an internal bulkhead - part number 92 - which fits into the cabin.  This actually dictates the gap between the combings.    If I had worked to this, it would have saved me a lot of work.   It does give you a measurement to work too in the drawing, but I am afraid this is nowhere near.

Also, this bulkhead could be used as a gauge for determining the depths of the door recesses in the bridge which I have left too long.  Consequently I had to cut into the combing to accommodate.

As you can see from the pictures, I have added extra strengthening around certain areas of the bulkhead which is not shown in the plans.

Hope this is of some help and will post some more pics as I go along, that is if anyone is interested.

I will say though, those who have never built a kit from a box of a model boat should give it a whirl before they ever make any comments about kit builders as kits. 

aye
john e
bluebird

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:33:14 pm »

I'm impressed John. Keep the build going and I can throw Robbe's instruction book away. ;D
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 07:40:28 pm »

Hi John,

I built this kit a couple of years ago and found it hard work. I would say its easier to scratchbuild! Intsructions are awfull. Still turned out ok.

If you get a chance though, fit bigger rudders, the steering with the standard ones is poor, unless you have a huge pond to turn, wiith prop walk stb steering is difficult.

Try and get the additional fittings kit as well, makes the model look better!

Looks good though!

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 07:57:04 pm »

hi ya there Simon - you dont know how glad I am that I am not the only one who is finding the written instructions extremely difficult to follow.   I dont know what other Robbe instructions are like to work form but I am finding this is the most difficult part of the model  :o

I dont know how anyone with very limited modelling experience - e.g. a complete newcomer to the modelling field would get to grips with these instructions without the aid of either other modelling friends or the use of a Forum such as ours.

aye
john e
bluebird

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 08:20:34 pm »

The Robbe Scheutze instructions were fine, they had lots of pictures on the same page as the instructions and no drawing. Some of the measurements were a bit iffy though.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 09:10:11 pm »

It's a great shaped hull. I had one but sold it before I got round to building it.

German instructions a strange. They seem to seem to start from three different points. Some says. 'lets provide a plan', someone else says lets use pictures' and third person says 'we should provide written instructions.' The end result seems often to be a poor compromise of all three!

Is it a 'bog standard' 540/550 motor John?

Eh? ( In a Bluebird stylee! ;) )

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 09:19:16 pm »

Hi ya there, the motor is a Navy Compact 3,3:1 gearbox which came with the kit - part number 4105 Robbe - to me and you it looks like a bog standard 540 with a gearbox

was little noisy until I packed it full of grease - when you get these as a present you dont complain - you accept kindly and use  ;D ;D

cant get used to working with plastic mind you.

aye
john e
bluebird

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 04:43:48 pm »

John,

There was an earlier post about a chap making one similar and a noisy gearbox. I just went for direct drive with a 600 eco.

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 01:46:41 am »

I remember reading a thread on a US modelling site, saying that instructions in European kits are woefully bad. ::)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

micknjen

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 06:21:56 pm »

Hi does anyone know where i can purchase japenese crew figures for my robbe PT15 torpendo boat 1:40 scale?

thanks

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 08:59:38 pm »

Hi there

.... continuing on with the build.

Hey Dicky, when starting construction of the main bridge superstructure; there is no reference made whatsoever into cutting slots into the top of the superstructure - item number 84.   These slots should have been marked off and cut in from the main plan before any assembly is done (of the main superstructure).  They accommodate the ventilator supports item number 98,99 and 100.  There is no mention of cutting these slots in the instructions.   I have enclosed photographs so you can follow.  Also, the front part of the bridge item number 94 - it is a small casing affair on the front of the bridge with two door openings in.   There is no mention of cutting these out first either.   TWO CLANGERS WHICH I DROPPED - but now rectified  ;D

Hope this is of some help, especially for Dicky.

aye
john e
bluebird

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 09:09:37 pm »

Thanks John, coming on well. ;D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 07:06:41 pm »

Hi does anyone know where i can purchase japenese crew figures for my robbe PT15 torpendo boat 1:40 scale?

thanks

Do what I had to do for my 1:40 Scheutze. Buy a 99p bag of toy soldiers from Toys-r -Us and alter to suit.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2809.msg42878#msg42878

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 08:56:29 am »

Come on John, has the build stopped ?  ???

Are you spending to much time on "NAME THE SHIP" ?  ???

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 03:08:03 pm »

Hi there

Still carrying on with the build even though I am enjoying naming the SHIP  ;D

At this particular time Im just putting fittings on the bridge. The only deviation Ive made from the plans are to the whip aerials either side of the bridge - Ive bent them vertical.  Sick of catching them and snapping them off  ;D as in aerials  ;D ;D

Now in the process of doing the main mast

headache continueth....roll on scratch build  ;D ;D ;D ;D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 04:02:36 pm »

Very nice John, we'll make a kit builder out of you yet. Not everyone can do it you know. :-\

I have printed your photos off as they are better than in the book and should save a lot of time.

Keep them coming please.

micknjen

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 05:19:45 pm »

thanks for posting these pictures as I am currently also building this kit  and as an amateur stuggling with the instructions so these have been a great help to me. Can you tell me if your going to paint the railings and ladders if so what colour.  I have put a picture of mine for interest.  But keep the pictures coming please.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 07:25:44 pm »

Hi there, Ive taken a some pics of the main mast build - as you can see I made a jig for the top mast aerial - just using 6 drawing pins to hold the wires in place while I soldered them.   If you look at the plan it calls for 8 and this is what you get when you follow your own instructions and do it your own way!  ;D

The most difficult part of the mast build was holding everything square while I soldered it and this was achieved by using crocodile clips and grannies type hair clips that she used to put in her rollers  ;D ;D

Anyway, that's the mast build.   The next set of pics will show the liferaft brackets and torpedo tubes assembly.

Aye
john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 07:38:56 pm »

Hi all

The instructions for the liferaft container brackets says you make them up out of 1.5 diameter brass wire bent in a 'U'Shape with two split pins as the legs.   I followed the plans and the only place that I deviated was,  I cut four pieces of insulation from old wire 6mm long and slipped the insulation over the split pins to form a 6mm spacer between the bottom of the bracket and the deck, and, then glued  them into place.

Also, you will notice that the assembly of the torpedo tubes is shown and it is straight forward.   Remember though you are making two left and two right and guess who forgot  :o

Micknjen - going by your photograph I noticed that you have jumped the gun a little bit by assembling the guns - I was tempted to do the same, but restrained.   You have also made a similar error to mine - which highlights how bad the actual instructions are - and that is that you have not cut the slots into the top to take the air vents SO DICKY REMEMBER TO DO THAT before you assmble the bridge superstructure  ;D

As far as painting goes, I was wanting to leave the handrails etc., in brass - but Ive decided everything is going to be grey excluding the liferaft containers.   Im using Humbrol 128 paint for the main superstructure and the hull sides and Humbrol 106 for the decks.   No particular reason for using these colours, I just think they look quite good. (Hide all my bad workmanship).

Well, I do hope this is of some assistance.

I have attached an anchor onto this thread, so it wont drift around the Forum to endanger other forum users - or do I have to fit a flashing light to this thread - so that when Martin moves it - I am warned.   At least Dicky, it didnt go under the 'TUGS topic'.

NOW BACK TO NAME THAT BLINKING SHIP/S  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D ;)

aye
john e
bluebird

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 08:20:48 pm »

Looking good John. I will have to take my laptop into the shed with me and go by your instructions.

By the way it was me that asked Martin to move your build as I could never remember where you put it. :-[

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:03 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 09:54:11 am »

micknjen

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 06:43:05 pm »

Thanks for you comments about vents.  I built the guns first as i have got the extra fittings kit to rotate them and wanted to install all radio gear etc before i started on the deck.  Included update picture of mine.  Need to move pc into kitchen whee i am building mine to save me having to un in and out to look at the pictures. LOL.

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 11:21:02 pm »

There is another PT15 review following the construction here:-
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Robbe_PT_15_Patrol_boat_review/m_1606151/tm.htm
Alan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.