Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thundertiger control board, help needed  (Read 5223 times)

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
Thundertiger control board, help needed
« on: August 27, 2013, 02:14:02 pm »

Hi I have hooked up the board to test it but all I get is a flashing red which apparently is low battery ( which is fine all tested ) or water in the hull (no hull just a bench).

So what's the problem? The pump works I have tested that I have tried the pressure switch on all the pins not sure which its supposed to go on still nothing but if I short the water sensor pins the pump starts pumping out.

Any ideas please ??

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Thundertiger control board, help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:19:30 pm »

Perhaps the voltage cut-off require some adjustment. What battery are you using?

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:43:33 pm »

At the moment a pair of 6v gells wired in series so 12v 4a I guess the voltage cut off is the pot do I just turn it clockwise to increase?

Dave

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 08:58:45 pm »

I have just tried the pot in all positions but still a flashing red. The battery is showing 13v what would the cut off be set at?

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:32:01 pm »

Not sure what the factory setting is, would take a guess at something like 10 volts. Perhaps you have been unlucky and got a defective board?

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 07:03:58 am »

Yeah that is what I'm thinking as lots of folks seem to have to change these boards regularly. Are there any other options out there or do I have to stay with TT boards?

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:43 am »

You can just use a basic ESC. You will lose the water detection feature, and you would need to use an external failsafe if you haven't got programmable failsafes on your receiver. The pressure switch can be wired into the motor leads, with a diode wired across the terminals so you can still pump the other way to empty the tank/bag.

Having said that, the TT boards look very straightforward with easy to rebuild components (no SMD's). The only part not user serviceable is the microcontroller/chip as that uses firmware blown in at the factory, so if that has gone pop, it means a new board, or if you have the ability a replacement microcontroller with your own software to mimic the TT's chip.#

One other thing you could try, is to see if the board works with a servo tester, because perhaps it may be an incompatibility issue with your receiver.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:53:01 pm »

I think it might not be liking my rxs as when I unplug it the flashing stops. I am thinking along the esc line is there a wiring diagram online showing this? I'm not fussed with the other fail safes as I will only be operating it in a swimming pool.

I am on a budget so buying another board is not a good option as I can't be 100% what the problem is so could be throwing good after bad

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:20:44 pm »

The flashing may stop because the board possibly picks up its power from the receiver bus for the logic side. I can take a look at the board for you if you like. If it's the chip I can't do much about it, but if it's a something discrete or just needs a bit of tweaking, I should be able to confirm with you what is wrong. These boards are pretty straightforward and reliable.

There isn't a diagram online for wiring in an ESC. Not difficult though I can knock one up for you in paintbrush, the pressure switch will just slot in to one of the power lines, with a diode wired across the pins, so that when the switch cuts the throat to the pump, you can pump back the other way until the pressure reuces and the contact makes. Same sort of set-up as the limit switches on a piston tank, but you only need one leg cut in. I don't know the specific pinout of the pressure switch though.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 05:30:16 pm »

That would be great if you could. I have a spare esc so just need to get a diode if I go that route 

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 06:13:57 pm »

Here you go. The switch and diode should go in the line from the ESC to the pump, and this must be positive polarity when running the pump to fill the bag (make sense?). Under those conditions the diode will be reverse biased and shouldn't conduct, so when (if) the switch trips, the pump will stop. To pump out  the ESC reverses the feed and until the switch makes up again, the diode will conduct the flow of current, as that leg is now negative polarity.

The diode needs to be fairly robust, I would say go for a 5 or 10A diode , voltage rating is largely irrelevant, as they tend to be much higher than what we're dealing with anyway.

Hope that helps. I would run the TT board if possible though.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 07:37:41 pm »

Ok thanks will this work with the TT pressure switch as its normaly open and closes with pressure I have just tested it, in the process of drying the kitchen now  :embarrassed: .

Until I can test the board I'll have to give it a miss.

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:37:50 pm »

Really? That's a pain, although understandable, it probably just grounds a pin on the microcontroller. No it won't work with the method I suggestd in that case. Some pressure switches have normally open and normally closed contacts, with different connection points (like a micro switch), so check carefully to see if that is the case.

Well there are a couple of inexpensive options open. You can use a conventional microswitch with a paddle that the bag pushes against when it is full to cut the feed to the pump, or go mechnical and make either a mechnical relief valve, so the feed to the pump effecively short circuits at a certain pressure. Or make your own limit switch with a rubber diaphragm (construct from rubber gloves) actuating a plunger which triggers a microswitch.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:55:19 pm »

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 09:25:37 pm »

Yes, that looks like it's designed for low pressure and you can see the NC and NO symbol if you zoom in, and it has the three contact terminals to configure it one way or tother. As you say, it is a bit on the chunky side, vut could probably mount this on the end cap, so it won't take up too much room.

The limit switch isn't absoultely essential, you can run without one, after all the limit switch shouldn't activate under normal conditions if your boat is trimmed well. However there is the problem of overfilling if the pump stuck on for some reason, and peristaltics in particular can reach dangerous pressure levels, more so than say a geared pump or centrifugal type, as essentially there is zero 'slip'. You could circumvent this by placing a pressure relief valve in the WTC, set to trigger at say 20 psi e.g. well over what it should be under normal conditions.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 05:34:53 pm »

Would this one do the job I thought a diode was a diode was a diode

http://www.maplin.co.uk/600w-unidirectional-transient-voltage-suppressor-diode-46420
[/size]
[/size]Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »

No athat's no good- that's a zener diode, you don't want that. there are many different kinds of diodes, and they are designed to do different jobs. In your case you want a rectifier diode with plenty of forward current capability.

If you want to get it from maplins, then something like this will suffice- http://www.maplin.co.uk/6a-silicon-rectifiers-46413

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 09:49:32 pm »

Sweet as.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 03:05:14 pm »

Hi i am back in the market for a pressure switch the ebay on isn't much good so i need to find another any ideas?

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »

What's wrong with the switch you purchased?

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »

I'm finding I can keep filling past the point I have set the switch at,  when I stop the pump then retry filling the switch then operates preventing any more fill rather than stopping the pump while filling so the bag can still potentially burst.
 Also the switch seems to make the pump stammer rather than run smoothly.
I may just fit a microswitch contraption to the ballast bag as I cant seem to find a pressure switch online that suits.

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 07:26:20 pm »

I see. Well as you have the switch, you might as well have a crack at tweaking it a bit.

All they are is a diaphragm, spring and switch at the end of the day, and you can probably make the unit adjustable with a small amount of work.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 09:31:52 pm »

I'll  have a bash at seeing if i can adjust it, it is only pressed together i have a couple of ideas if it doesn't work

Dave

hollowhornbear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 10:23:41 pm »

Isn't that what the screw is for in the centre? turn to the left decrease pressure turn to the right increase pressure, or am i being stoopid?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.