Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut Ramborator Springer Tug First build  (Read 11812 times)

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Ramborator Springer Tug First build
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:05:45 am »

G'day Guys,
First boat build has begun went with the Aeronaut Ramborator Springer Tug kit. I know there are free plans out there but i liked the fact that it was all in the box for me to pop out and glue together. I'm using some Great planes Aliphatic resin glue I've had since i was about 16 don't know if this stuff goes bad but it seems to be holding so far. Kit was sourced from Cornwall model boats along with a graupner Eco 600 size motor a 35mm prop and a coupler and motor mount although as it turns out i didn't need the last two items as the kit comes with a motor mount and a coupler incl. So into the spares box with those parts for a later project. Very happy with the service from Cornwall took just over a week for it all to arrive via UPS. Attached is  a few pics of the box and first construction steps underway.

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aeronaut Ramborator Springer Tug First build
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:06:30 am »

second pic

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:07:34 am »

First step glue drying :-))

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 04:10:15 am »

Second step glue the hull sides to the front piece making sure it's at 90degrees there are no plans to pin the parts onto make sure it's all square so i've taped the rear stringer to my bench and placed the hull sides on it so it's not too far out of whack the third step is putting all the bottom stringers in so thats where I'll ensure everything is square.

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 04:11:00 am »

another shot of step 2

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:15:09 am »

Step three bottom stringers glued in everything checked for being 90deg being left to dry overnight

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 01:11:51 pm »

Build is progressing well I've got the hull bottom skinned now will post up some pics tomorrow. However I've run into my first problem. The next step after skinning the hull is to mount the motor onto the wooden mount bracket so you can line up and glue the prop tube in however the kit doesn't come with screws for this and neither did the motor packet or motor mount i purchased at the same time. Does anyone know what size screws the Graupner motors use?

hdserv

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 02:03:26 pm »

motor screw size should be 2.3mm dia
Jim

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 02:51:03 pm »

Thanks Jim I'll see if i can find some at the local hardware or hobby store  :-))

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 06:31:35 am »

Couple of pics of the hull skin going on. I glued the front end first and allowed it to dry for about an hour then glued the remainder fit was really good only had one or two small gaps at the bottom of the curve but i've run a bead of gap filling CA around the whole interior of the join so this shouldn't be a problem.

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 06:34:42 am »

Got some M3 bolts from the local hobby shop motor is now attached to the mount plate, prop tube and coupler fitted now ready for test fitting into the hull.

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 06:18:45 pm »

Phant..don't forget your ventilation holes in the motor to wood! You probs haven't though,just a reminder...good thread.Bob.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 06:35:45 pm »

One of our club members Chairman in fact has built one
The rigid coupling and the ply mount caused massive
vibration.
A flexible coupling solved the problem.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 04:47:22 am »

Hey guys,
Thanks for the comments I've been testing fitting the mount and prop shaft support parts they all seem to line up pretty well the instructions don't mention glueing the outer shaft to the support parts although i assume this is what you have to do using two part epoxy? I did order a multicoupler when i got the kit but looking at this i think this will be too long I'd have to get a shorter coupler also i didn't order the M4 attachment part for the other end. I was going to use two part epoxy and some square or triangular stock along the base of the mount to give it some strength. I haven't thought about cooling holes in the mount I thought that the cooling vents at the rear of the motor would have been adequate i don't know if i'd have enough room to cut holes in the mount without weakening it what about putting washers on the motor side of the mount to push it away from the mount? Please note the parts in the below pics aren't glued in

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 03:35:07 am »

I've been thinking about how to aleviate the reported vibration issue using the stock rigid coupler. My basic idea is to run a square stringer from the side of the hull glued along the top of the mount to other hull side then have two square pieces glued on the vertical sides and finally a strip of either square or triangular stock running along the bottom of the mount glued to the hull sheet and along the front of the mount glued on the existing hull stringer. Comments more then welcome {:-{ . Also in regards to the final install of the prop shaft the instructions don't clearly spell out that you need to glue the prop shaft to the hull i'm assuming that you are supposed to do this using something like two part epoxy which will also seal any gaps, is the case?

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 03:36:26 am »

outside of the hull glue areas?

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 08:55:09 am »

yes 2 part epoxy where you indicated.....As for the vibration issuses wouldnt it be better to glue some gussetts from the motor mount to the hull this would stiffen up the mount as well

Dave

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 09:10:21 am »

Flat 1/2" wide ply along top of cross-member T style,  then two triangles vertical alongside the motor would be a better solution. Use a silicon tube on the splines of the U/J, ie no square middle part, that is the noisy bit. Beat me to it Stav.  Pictures might help. They are of a metal mount but show the cut outs for cooling air to pass through.
..well can you land on this?

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 02:30:10 am »

:-))  Thanks for the comments guys very helpful i didn't even think about triangles alot simpler i've got some ply lying around so i'll use some of that if i can't get enough from the left over parts from the kit. In regards to the silicon tube is that just the same stuff you use for nitro engine fuel lines? I've got plenty of that lying around not sure if it will be the correct inner diameter although it can stretch a fair bit i suppose. i made a template of the front of the motor by taping tracing paper to the front and marking the mount holes and cooling vents so i can lay it over the mount and mark and drill the cooling holes out. I ordered a mtroniks plug'n'play esc 15amp last night so when that arrives i can start wiring it all up. Using a 7.2V Nimh 4200mah 6 cell pack, Spektrum Mr200 rx and dx2 tx

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 08:35:58 am »

Use the silicon tube that is for joining exhaust pipes on a glo/nitro i/c engines. It should be a tight push-fit over the splines, fuel lines are too small.  Triangles  plus a square strip of hardwood along bottom of engine mount (see sketch)  and a cap-strip along top, epoxy and the odd panel pin might help as there will still be vibration, not massive but in the "hum" region.   Keep posting your build, looking good.

paul johnston

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:07 am »

I built one (my first model boat) this year and was advised not to use the wooden motor mount as this restricts where and what batteries you can use, I also used the deck as a jig when building the hull.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 11:39:21 am »

Good point, if using heavy batteries, 6v 4.5Ah gell cells for example, it would be useful to have some fore and aft space for trimming.  I run my Springers slightly stern heavy to counter the diving tendency when under full power.  They do need the extra weight to have a correct sit in the water.   If I was doing a Ramborator I`d put the bulwarks from around the stern on the bow instead for the same reason, or even all the way round the deck from some spare ply.  Looking at some pictures of the kit , I see that the motor mount piece doesn't even go to the hull sides, poor design, if you cut it at the holes and use the off-cuts at 90* that will give space for  sealed gell batteries one each side and stiffen the mount (like the triangle/gusset idea ).  Be sure to coat the inside of the hull with paint or resin before closing up areas that will be inaccessible later. Put as much buoyancy foam as you can in these areas too, better safe than...etc. They sink like a stone...this I know  :embarrassed: O0 :embarrassed: :((

Phantom_Maloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 12:51:07 pm »

I can't seem to find my calipers but using a steel ruler the coupler insert seems to be about 8mm diameter including the splines, a mate of mine is a mechanic and he said he can get me some 7mm internal dia Silicon Vacuum tube. Price is right  :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 01:28:18 pm »

Price will be a couple of tinnies  :} .  Copy the rear bulwarks and put them on the front.  You could buy or make a metal motor mount, about 5£ on ebay or mate with mechanics skills and a bit of ally angle.  Three tinnies. {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 01:51:53 pm »

Before the deck is fixed I would give it a good long run in a test tank/bath at the highest throttle setting you can.
Check the motor for heat and if needed it will still be easy to fit watercooling.
A length of auto brake pipe will do the job. (More tinnies to your mate  O0 O0 )

Most of the homebuilt springers with 600 size motors seem to need a bit of help with the cooling.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.