Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie stuck already.  (Read 1859 times)

ma1308

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newbie stuck already.
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:45 pm »

Hello everyone, I have not built a model since I was about 13 so I thought I would start off slowly and build and convert the M.A.S 568 by Italeri like the one Dave Abbott did a few months ago in the model boat mag. I have no problem with the bulk of the build but I cannot get this brass stuff to stick to the plastic ... what is best glue to use?

Thanks

cdsc123

Re: Newbie stuck already.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:57:56 pm »

Superglue should do it, lightly abrade the mating surfaces first though.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:53:17 am »

Welcome aboard 1308, if you could put your location it will help. Christian means by abrade to rough up the surface just in case you were in any doubt, Mick B.
Mick B.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:07:34 am »

Superglue will fix the tube nicely but after that a fillet of high grade epoxy will help keep it in place. It will also ensure that it's watertight. Abrading the surface is always a good idea especially when joining different materials.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

ma1308

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:39:52 pm »

Thanks for the replies, I should have made myself a bit clearer sorry, I was wondering what was used to stick the brass etching to the plastic.

I will try super glue, I also don't see the need for the brass if its only going to be covered with paint, I am new to this so have no idea what the benefits of brass are.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:07:08 pm »

Thanks for the replies, I should have made myself a bit clearer sorry, I was wondering what was used to stick the brass etching to the plastic.

I will try super glue, I also don't see the need for the brass if its only going to be covered with paint, I am new to this so have no idea what the benefits of brass are.

Photoetch is, by far and away, the best for the "super-detailing" parts of the model.   Photoetch parts are mostly available as an after market additions to a model.  The thin metal can replicate delicate and thin parts like radars, gun shields and railings and give them a much better scale appearence than moulded plastic.
The etched brass is stronger than a plastic part so it will resist casual damage.  This usually isn't a problem for static models with a high level of detail but converting to R/C means it's going to be handled on a regular basis and having delicate parts made of metal will be a great advantage. 
Most photoetch still carries a coat of laquer from the etch process so a light sand with wet and dry paper will allow the super glue to work at it's best.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.