Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your preferred make of Radio Control for racing power boats? And why?  (Read 5209 times)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Folks
I am interested to know a little about what your preferred make of Radio Control is for your power boat(s). And why? If this topic develops it might help anyone coming into the hobby of power boats who might be bewildered by the sheer choice that is currently available. This topic is aimed at your preference for transmitter and receiver only ignoring choice of servos to keep things simple.
To kick this off I will answer my own question:
I recently switched from Spektrum to the Hitec Optic 6 set combining the Hitec Transmitter and its Optima 6,  2.4GHz receiver.
Why is it now my preferred choice?
1) In respect of price I think it delivers amazing features for a relatively cheap set. 10 model memories and a full range receiver.
2) It has basic telemetry so that if my receiver battery pack gets low I get an audio and visual warning on my transmitter. I consider that Very important for safety with IC power boats. The on board battery checker is not of much use when the boat is racing.
3) Consider the throttle cut button. Where is it on your set? With the Hitec transmitter it is instinctively placed at the top right of the unit. So when I need to cut the engine I don't have to look for it or take my hands off the main sticks. I just use my index finger retaining full control of the steering.
4) Considering its relatively low price for a computerised set, it feels well made and robust.
5) Despite being a computerised set, it is easy to set up.
Enough for my contribution.
I welcome contributions from you.
Cheers
Craig
 :-)) 
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!

Hi craig

For me it has to be futaba, as I have not had any technical problems with TX or RX in the many years I have used them.

I agree that the new set you have purchased has some excellent features, is very good value for money and if it proves as reliable as futaba, might prove to be a better choice. I use hitec servos and love them.
It the TX and Rx are as good the system should be bomb proof.

As for spectrum dx, again a good set. Don't like the idea of 2 receivers, more to go wrong (as you have found out), but the tx is unbeatable for its feel and quality.
Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer

As for spectrum dx, again a good set. Don't like the idea of 2 receivers, more to go wrong (as you have found out), but the tx is unbeatable for its feel and quality.
Yes, as much as my Spektrum DX6i served me well for three years in two boats, the issue I had was with the dual receivers. The thin connecting cable has very fine connectors on each end and they eventually proved flaky thus the reason for me switching to Hitec.
Craig

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby

Fly Sky 2.4 steering wheel for me.cheap and seem to be doing ok ,receivers are only a fiver each with 10 model memory ,although i have had the odd problem with picking up then wrong transmitter when i have had them all out  {-) {-) %% %% %%
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

bj

• Full Mayhemer

Hitec Optic 6 set combining the Hitec Transmitter and its Optima 6,  2.4GHz [size=78%] [/size]
The HobbyKing "fitz" receivers work fine with this Tx and cost HALF the price of the HiTec ones. For me it is five genuine ones and THREE HobbyKing ones filling the eight memories of my Tx.

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer

The HobbyKing "fitz" receivers work fine with this Tx and cost HALF the price of the HiTec ones. For me it is five genuine ones and THREE HobbyKing ones filling the eight memories of my Tx.

My Optic 6 Sport transmitter has ten model memories. You mentioned only eight.... Are we talking about the same transmitter?

Irrespective of that, what is it (features wise) that makes you choose what you have?

Craig :-))

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC

Hi Chaps
Had my Futaba 7 channel for ages (had to get the 7 as the 6 only had on/off switches and I needed a mixture knob)
10 memories and the range of settings is unbelievable. It was one of the first decent 2.4's out and the combo cost me nearly £300!
Previously went right back to a Fleet 2 channel on 27 MHz - which cost 2 weeks wages!!!
With the stuff you can get today and the price you have to pay - its like RC heaven!
See you Sunday
Danny

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Chaps
Had my Futaba 7 channel for ages (had to get the 7 as the 6 only had on/off switches and I needed a mixture knob)
Danny
Hi Danny
If you need a "mixture knob" that I think is a good enough reason to opt for what you did. I appreciate your input.
Cheers
Craig :-))

bj

• Full Mayhemer

My Optic 6 Sport transmitter has ten model memories. You mentioned only eight.... Are we talking about the same transmitter?

Yes, possibly an older model.
Also came across this link http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-rc-radio-gear/frsky-hitec-compatible-rx for alternative "fitz " receivers.
They claim that

"The FrSky Delta 8 is an 8 channel 2.4Ghz unit that is fully compatible with 3 different brands of radio control equipment - Futaba, Hitec and FrSky.
The protocols serviced are: Futaba A-FHSS, Hitec A-FHSS and Futaba FHSS"
All singing, all dancing for £20 - Wow! May be too good to be true? Perhaps others know of this make.

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer

Thank you very much for sharing the info BJ.
Much appreciated :-))

Regards
Craig

MPM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • MillPond Models

Hi guys,
 First off I'd not be running a big powerboat on a £20 radio set.you can pick up some good items on eBay or even trade in forms the model shop sometimes.

I Run a DX7S TX and MR3000 Rx,s they are single receivers, I'm surprised you where successful with the double receivers because they didn't have the same glitch fail safe as the MR receivers.

Never had an issue with it really. Very easy to use and set up.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer

JR9503 here  :embarrassed:

Overkill? maybe, but its a nice all round transmitter that works my helis and planes as well as boats, cars and anything else I throw at it

Also its DSM2 Friendly
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer

Hi guys,
 First off I'd not be running a big powerboat on a £20 radio set.you can pick up some good items on eBay or even trade in forms the model shop sometimes.
I Run a DX7S TX and MR3000 Rx,s they are single receivers, I'm surprised you where successful with the double receivers because they didn't have the same glitch fail safe as the MR receivers.
Never had an issue with it really. Very easy to use and set up.
In fairness to BJ, he was not talking £20 for a "radio set" per se. He was referring to only the receiver. However you make a valid point in my opinion. For the sake of a few pounds is it worth potentially compromising control of a high speed boat that in its entirety has cost several hundred pounds if not a couple of thousand? For the record I recently bought a triple pack of the Optima 6 receivers for £90 working out at £30 per receiver. I am happy that they are genuine Hitec products.
What did you mean by "glitch failsafe" - (please excuse my ignorance)?
The fail safe common to my previous Spektrum dual receivers and my current Optima 6 receiver kicks in if the signal to the receiver is lost or compromised for any reason (assuming set up properly). Is the "glitch failsafe" that you mentioned more comprehensive than this?

Cheers
Craig

bj

• Full Mayhemer

on a £20 radio set

£20 for a RECEIVER not set. Hitec are £30 each , HobbyKing are £15.

bj

• Full Mayhemer

[size=78%] fail safe common to my previous Spektrum dual receivers and my current Optima 6 receiver kicks in if the signal to the receiver is lost or compromised .......[/size]
[/quote

To add to Craig's comment, I have a double failsafe (hopefully) in that my fast boat has also a SPARKOUT system . See a thread that I started on this site on this subject.

MPM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • MillPond Models

sorry I misunderstood that it was RX only.

You get more glitches on the water with 2.4 caused by the reflection. As I understand it the Mr300 and MR3000 have been designed to combat this but they still arnt 100% due to the way the spectrum.

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!

Have to say, with radio, I just want the best. Must be totally reliable, functional, have good battery life interms of run time at lake, and longivety of batteries.

Only used futaba for tx and Rx. I realise they are not cheap, but then they have never let me down in 35 years. Have heard equally good reports with spectrum and hitec sets.

On servos, again, I recently bought some cheaper hi spec'd Chinese servos as the spec/price seemed too good to be true.

It turned out to be too good to be true. A high torque monster (18kg) burnt out.

On servos, I will in future stick with the more expensive hitec, futaba or savox servos which I have used previously without fault.

Garry

Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer

We use Savox servos in my sons 1:10 race car (Electric Touring car) as do 95% of the members at the club he goes to
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.