Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wicksteed Organisers - 2014  (Read 26290 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Mayhem at Wicksteed - 2014
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 03:36:23 pm »

Found out where the new path near the amphitheatre will go. If the spray paint on the grass is anything to go by it will swing around to the right hand side of the current flagpole, or closest to the big lake side!
The club shelter is not being moved/rebuilt/changed in anyway, the work progress is accelerating because they have just had another 20 workers turn up this week. All the big work will be finished for the end of March 2014, with final details finished for May 1st 2014 when the park officially reopens.

Brian- from what I remember traders wise from Warwick there was:

Deans Marine
Models by design
Speed line models
Mobile marine models
Component shop
Tony Green steam components
SHG
Barry's Lettering
MACs Mouldings
Mount fleet Models
Model Sounds
Metcalf mouldings

There were a lot more but can't remember them at the moment!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 05:40:40 pm »

Martin has given the invite a bit of a re-write:-

ModelBoatMayhem at Wicksteed, 23rd – 25th May 2014

Hi
I am Brian, this years chairperson of the Model Boat Mayhem Wicksteed Weekend organising committee, ( html on the Forum - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/).

We would like to formally  invite your club to the Mayhem at Wicksteed Weekend 23rd – 25th May 2014 ( Wicksteed Park, Kettering, Northampton, NN15 6NJ. ) – ALL Clubs Welcome!

These are a fun weekend for all model boaters, there is no formality just turn up and sail your models, the fun starts from the Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. You can put up gazebos and tables around the water edge, and car parking is about 50 feet away from the water. The boating lake has a concrete edge, so launching and recovery is easy, we also have some members with waders to assist with this if required. The concrete edge also makes it easy for people with disabilities to get around. There will be themed events such as ‘Warships parade’, ‘Tugs or the world’, Lifeboats, ‘Yachts on sail’, ‘Straight running for RC boats’, etc. There will be a steering course laid out and special prize for anyone that can do it blindfolded with the aid of a ‘pilot’!

We do not charge for entry to the event, however there is a charge for entry and parking in the park, last year this was £6.00 per but for all passengers. If your want to stay for the whole weekend  there is camping and caravan facilities in the park, but no electrical hook up for the caravans. Last year the cost for camping or a caravan was £20.00 for the weekend unless the caravan was over 20 foot they then charged £30.00 – this is run by the Wicksteed Park management direct.

There will be an informal BBQ on the Saturday evening (bring your own bangers etc.) and as this is our 7th anniversary, the theme will …..WOOL!  So silly hats, crazy scarves or Christmas jumpers all are welcome. Martin ( Mr. ModelBoatMayhem! ) usually makes a few free bacon rolls on Sunday morning for club members and the early risers so I’ll see if we can twist his arm to make one for you!
Please let us know if your club’s marquee size and we’ll reserve a FREE PITCH for you.
So bring it up at your next club meeting, let us know when you’re coming and let have so fun with Model Boats.

Link to Mayhem at Wicksteed 21014: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45351.0.html

Kind regards,
Brian (html)

Edit: does  usually makes   - Martin
Perhaps we should leave that as it is, so you get up early  :-)) :-))
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 06:43:35 pm »

I have contacted all the clubs that were at Warwick this year, with the exception of the Lifeboat Enthusiasts their web site has a security problem so it is not working. If anyone has contact details for them, pm me please and I will invite them.

Traders next!

Bri

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 10:17:30 pm »

Top job!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 08:18:06 pm »

Hi everyone

You all might be interested in the following...

On Thursday the club was approached by Wicksteed Park management members (the MD, and a Director) to ask us whether the Mayhem at Wicksteed traders would like to use the amphitheatre when it's completed for next years show! We quite rightly said yes, and now we can use the hard standing and the theatre to host a traders village.
The parks management are very interested in making our event successful and will help out as much as possible, they even sent out their staff to visit Warwick to carry out their own research on the model boat community, we can presume that they liked what they saw. :-))
Nick B

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 08:50:03 pm »

That is very good news Nick, it is good to hear the park are interested in Mayhem being a success (it already is and the park do not realise).
I know they are hopping for more visitors to the park, but if they are happy it makes it easier for us to organise another great weekend

Bri

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 08:16:46 pm »

right have a definite contingent coming from west wales model boat club, and a new trader is possibly interested coming along to demonstrate his new submarine being released next year 2014.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 11:05:21 am »

Pete

What is the traders name, I can then add it to the list of traders/clubs coming when I get replies.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 07:37:12 pm »

Well,

The new paths have been cut and dug out of the grass, essentially making the current path extend around the edge of the big lake. Due to the rain though, the new path which hasn't been tarmaced yet currently resembles little rivers! {-)

We are in progress changing the old banner dates from last year to the new dates for this year. Our friendly club member who deals with the park will ask where the best place to hang the banner to get the best advertising potential. It will probably be near the main gate just behind the point where you pay to get in.

The big lake is coming on nicely, the far point looks like its complete and the sluice gates are functional so fingers crossed the model boat and big lake shouldn't flood anymore.

When the main changes have been completed I will draw up the layout of the lake area we will be using.
Back to work now... Boo! :}
Nick B

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:29 pm »

Yep
You need to go and print something for one of your Tornados.

Brian

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 03:45:49 pm »

Hi Brian

Just got the response from my contact in the Wicksteed Park management. We can put the mayhem banner on the railings just inside the main gate (next to the ticket boxes). We are in the process of changing the date on the old banner to make it look professional instead of tacked on. The banner will be put up in the next couple of weeks to get as much publicity as possible. Everyone driving into the park has to pass the banner.

The management has also offered to assist with the set up of the show, they ask that once you know approximately how many clubs/traders are coming they can get the tables, barriers, etc to the lake side on the Friday/Saturday to cater for everyone. They really are wanting to help in every way, their new MD is really pushing for mayhem support and as much assistance as possible! That's the best news I've heard this year :-))

If nobody else wants to, I'm more than willing to contact the magazines and local newspapers, etc on behalf of the mayhem committee. Just let me know...

If anyone wants to draw up a steering course I'll get the number of buoys, and the colours, we have in the lake at the moment so we can incorporate those into the course too.

I'll keep everyone up to date with the parks refurb as and when it happens, but they are planning to reopen the whole park to the public for April 1st 2014.

Nick B

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 09:05:19 pm »

Hi Nick

If you pick up the media work that would be great.

Do we need to go and meet the management before the event?

Brian

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 09:19:07 pm »

Have sent an email off to tamiya trucks uk and awaiting a reply at present.
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 12:39:31 am »

Tamiya trucks UK have just got back to me. They apologise but cannot make it that weekend due to a prior commitment
full time penguin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:14 am »

What about the tank boys?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 05:55:03 pm »

Hi Brian

I'll contact the usual magazines and the local papers, and if can get a good contact for the local BBC or ITV media I try to get them involved too. I believe that the first mayhem was broadcasted on the BBC Look East news. I'll get Wicksteed Park to get it up on all the function lists too.

If you would like to meet the management to discuss anything I'm sure that they would love to meet us, a member of the WPMBC committee (probably Steve Brown or Paul Millers) will go with us to introduce us all.
They have mentioned that if we would like to, to discuss the set up of the show once we know the number of clubs and traders intending to go. They keep offering us assistance so if anyone comes up with any requests I'm sure that they will try their best to get it for us (except the weather! {-) ).
Nick B

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 08:04:53 pm »

Nick

Thanks for that

I think, as they say nearer the time we should go an meet them. We can work out who when the time arrives.

Brian

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 07:01:37 pm »

Hi everyone

I've contacted Model Boats and Marine Modelling International magazines and they are going to put our event in their diaries and events pages, both should be in print in their next editions.
I have been offered a half page or a whole page advert in Model Boats magazine, I've asked how much this will be, and what is required. The advertising team will be getting back to me on this ASAP.
I'll keep you all update with my progress.
I am contacting the local papers and Wicksteed Park web team for our advert to placed in their pages.
So far a good response!
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 06:09:24 pm »

SIZE TYPE AREA RATES PER INSERTION

[/color]FULL COLOUR
Full Page
 Half Page Vertical Half Page Horizontal Quarter Page Vertical Eighth Page

Depth (mm) Width (mm)

267mm x 184mm.         £775 

267mm x 89mm.          £415 

136mm x 190mm.      £415 

136mm x 92mm.          £225 

65mm x 92mm.            £175

1 insertion

As you can see its quite expensive for just one small advert
Plus we don't have an advert to use yet, personally I think just the mention in the diary and events pages is enough for the model boat world! But its not my decision what does everyone else think?
Nick B

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 10:20:47 pm »

Eeeek!
full time penguin

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 04:38:54 pm »

I think like Nick a mention in the diary and events pages is sufficient, it is not as if the weekend is a brand new event it is well known in model boating circles. The diary & event entries would be just a reminder

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 05:33:26 pm »

Get it in quick!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 07:37:56 am »

Had a request from west Wales model boats. They were wondering if they could attend and one of their members would like to out in a small pyrotechnics display.  A few depth charges and explosions on a couple of model boats. He is a qualified fireworks person. 
full time penguin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »

Sounds great!
We made need some sort of certificates or something for a public display I guess.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 07:17:24 pm »

Hi everyone

Good news!

I'm not on Op Sandbag! Actually the operation is called Operation Pitch Pole!  %%  Apparently I'm too important to send as I'm setting up a Primary Star maint team next week ( my boss's words not mine!).

Anyway, the banner is going up next weekend the new vinyl numbers are being professionally attached to it so it doesn't look like an idiot put them on (I'm on about me!).

I've contacted Model Boats and politely declined their offer regarding the advertising space, I thought it was going to be about £30-50 per advert per month, but my God, £175 for the small one truly shocked me, and my Dad!  :o

I'm in contact with the WP website management team to place our event directly on to their events page and scrolling news.  I will contacting the Evening Telegraph newspaper closer to the time to advertise Mayhem at Wicksteed. Does anyone else know any other media I should contact?

Due to the bad weather the work at the park is now 2 weeks behind schedule but the big lake is getting on very quickly, currently it looks like a scene from WW1 but the islands are double the size and a deep channel is being cut into the clay. All the new paths are being finalised too and the amphitheatre site is being progressed too. They are confident that it will be completed for Easter.

Hi Martin and Klunk

Had a request from west Wales model boats. They were wondering if they could attend and one of their members would like to out in a small pyrotechnics display.  A few depth charges and explosions on a couple of model boats. He is a qualified fireworks person

Sounds great!
We made need some sort of certificates or something for a public display I guess.

I think we just need to add it to the current Risk Assessment to cover it, just write that the person is a certified pyrotechnics engineer.

Nick
Nick B

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.