Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another boring intro thread !!  (Read 1475 times)

Chaos

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Another boring intro thread !!
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:46:50 pm »

Hi all,
Just coming back to model boats after a few years away doing life stuff.
I used to be into fast electrics back when a Super Hawaii Cesa was cutting edge  :} . I spent months messing and modifying it but when finished it went like a dingbat.

Anyway the reaction times are shot now so I'm thinking a scale model would be far more relaxing and fun.
Have spent hours reading build logs and reviews and still no closer deciding on what kit to build.
I really seem to be drawn to either a good sized ocean going tug or some type of fast patrol / coastguard cutter.
In the meantime I'm having a fiddle with an old I/C vosper and grafting a 700bb turbo in as our local lake is electric only.

Any pointers on what makes of kit are better for my needs than others would be greatfully received, I'm not new to engineering or working with my hands as thats my day job just new to scale stuff so something with a few challenges but without being a complete pita would be good
Cheers for now.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another boring intro thread !!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:06:21 pm »

Hi Chaos,

Welcome to mayhem. Put on your slippers and be prepared to get bombarded with ideas.   :}

I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting you look into Model Slipway's   Aziz.  An ocean going tug with plenty of lovely detail.

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:16:36 pm »

Hi Chaos,first bombardment...another vote for Model Slipway :-)) .Look at the Sentinel or the Kawkab.Chap in our Club has a Sentinel and from my limited experience it has a good quality hull,nice size,lots of detail and sails with attitude,lovely wake..[want one].Good Luck.Bob.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:48:32 pm »

Would certainly endorse any Model Slipway suggestions but you might also want to look at Metcalf Mouldings.  His range is much smaller but Mr Metcalf is moving his kits to CNC cut parts and I am currently building his River Star Tug Yacht.  A bit of a marmite boat in terms of looks as somebody recently said to me, and which I agree it is, but the quality of the CNC parts and the fit of the parts is just perfect.   Just finished his Lady Laura tug which was a very very nice build and excellent fittings etc but this now also, I believe, has CNC cut parts.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.