Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Formula for finding scale  (Read 2327 times)

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
Formula for finding scale
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:32:19 pm »

Heya folks,

I know this has probably been discussed multiple times but a search of the site brings back so many unrelated results I thought it would be easier to just ask the experts.
I have a set of line drawings of a real vessel and want to find the dimensions for the scale I work in (1:16) and have forgotten the formula for it.
The ship is the Columbia III and is 66"-5" in length, I believe my scale is 3/4" to a foot but I am not sure if that is correct.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ian
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Formula for finding scale
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:13:00 pm »

you are correct 3/4" to the foot, basically you need to get the units the same so a foot is 12" therefore you have 12/16" to a foot so 1/16" to an inch, 1mm = 16mm, 1m =16m
just remember that whatever units you measure in its easier to stick with them, multiply by the scale amount, then convert (ie divide by 12 to get feet).
use a ruler that allows for easy measurements (eg for 1:16 an inch ruler with 1/16" divisions - each division is an inch in full size).
Transposing scales is a different matter again.
Grendel

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:19:25 pm »

Thanks Grendel, very helpful.
Mainly I was needing to know so I can get the plans printed off.
They are about 2 paragraphs down on the page and I will be getting a set printed as is and then scaling from there.
http://mothershipadventures.com/columbia_III-mothership/columbia_III-mothership_adventures.htm

Beautiful ship and I would love to sail on her, even if only for a day or two.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »

Beautiful ship and I would love to sail on her, even if only for a day or two.

I feel pretty similar about http://ferriesbc.proboards.com/thread/8474/mv-international-on-waterton-lake?page=1#post-145582 I hadn't heard of it until I had a nice chat with Irishcarguy about the national park. I wonder if plans are available?

Dave

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:20:17 am »

lovely set of plans, the tricky thing will be getting them printed to scale properly (avoid fit to page like the plague) as a working draughtsman I know all the issues with getting a to scale result from any picture format, getting them into a CAD format would probably help. I would have been happier if they had been in .tif format as that is the easiest to maintain the scaling. its also helpful if you know the original scan resolution.
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:38:42 am »

just had a look and have converted the linesplan into CAD, the reported resolution was 72dpi, this means the text hasnt converted at all well - random lines and squiggles. I then used the ship length to rescale the CAD .dxf file to full size (approx 20244mm) - appox 5x the original scale it came into CAD at, this is generally the problem, getting a dimension to scale things to, a measured dimension on a plan or overall length is a boon. (if you want a CAD copy in dxf format of the lines plan send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy, its about 1.4Mb).
at my old job I could scan in my own plans and convert them, controlling each step in the process I could optimize the resolutions to get the best out of my image to CAD conversion software (usually 200 dpi for the best results). my new job gives me access to a scanner capable of A3 and a large format printer, plus I still have my conversion software.
Grendel

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:16:30 pm »

Wow, how long did that take you ?
I am very grateful Grendel.
I will still get the original plan printed as it has all of the information on it and is just great to look at anyway.
PM incoming.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 04:30:57 pm »

not too long, but I do have all the software (it takes 3 pieces of different software to do) probably 20 minutes, but then in the past I have done exactly this as a living.
Grendel

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 06:53:56 pm »

They look great and will be a big help.

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.