Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: VLIESTROOM .............. My Build  (Read 35692 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
VLIESTROOM .............. My Build
« on: June 20, 2007, 09:08:36 pm »

Hello everyone.

I have started on the Model Slipway's  Dutch Buoy laying ship called the  "Vliestroom"

Here are the pictures of my way of  'doing things'.  It certainly is an interesting build, and I welcome your comments as we go along. My aim is to produce a nice, quality looking vessel that I can be proud of.  It is yet undecided whether she will go out in a stormy sea or not.   :D

The Vliestroom is a twin prop ship with steerable Kort nozzles and twin 500 motors. The plan is not to fit bow thrusters as further channels will be needed for  (hopefully) a working crane. I have two sets of buoys and it should be fun launching and recovering them.  ;D

I have started on the cabin construction, just using sticky tape, to ensure it all fits together, and have learnt a lot of tricks from the building of  'Aziz'  and talking to members at the meeting, which I hope will stand me in good stead for this one.

Here we go then with the first batch of photos starting with the real one.

Chees...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: VLIESTROOM .............. My Build
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:10:29 pm »

Here are some more construction views

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:12:04 pm »

And some more

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 09:16:09 pm »

some more.

Last ones for today.   It's onwards to the electronics now.  I'm hoping to build a self contained unit to be able to swop from boat to boat.  The parts are quite expensive so I might as well reuse them for different models.   ;D

Ken

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 09:24:53 pm »

Looking Good Ken, I like the idea of a working crane to lay buoys very nice.

The other Brian

Captain Povey

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:54:42 pm »

Hi Ken, It looks as if she is coming along very nicely and in a very tidy organised workshop too. I wish I could say the same about my shed. Cheers Graham. ;D

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:10:28 pm »

Thank you for your comments, Brian and Graham.  It's  'glue it together day' tomorrow.  The Missus is going out, so no complaints about   'the smell'    ;D

Unfortunately my jersey is the condition of my bench mat, so I'm in trouble there. Forgot to put my  'scruffies'  on. and now have epoxy intertwined in the weave. Never mind eh !!

Cheers...ken

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:12:43 pm »

Looking good! Im just about finishing off MSW Drumbeat then I can start on the civvie Envoy tug!  :P

BTW, dont leave the masking tape on too long as it leaves a sticky residue behind. If you leave it on for a lot longer than you should, it starts to delaminate and is a pig to get off any surface.

chingdevil

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:16:11 pm »

Ken
Get your dog to chew it ;D ;D, then it can not be your fault if the jersey is ruined.

The other Brian

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 10:18:49 pm »

Here is a picture of my new bench when I retired earlier this year.

It's grubbier now the boat production has started.    ;D ;D ;D

Hi Justboatonic. I've a long way to go to catch you up. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:21:09 pm »

It's not a  Spot the difference' competition.  It's just that the replies are coming in faster than I can print pictures.

What a sooooper club eh !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ken

jenno

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 10:58:59 pm »

Very nice start Ken,
 regarding the crane it will look great when it's working. I did a lot of head scratching on my
Gry Maritha, but it was quite easy and draws a lot of interest at the lake.

all the best
                                                 Jenno

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 06:38:07 am »

Lookin good TK,

Your photos bring back memories of when I built my Vliestroom. Got the crane working by the way using a separate keyfob remote system which kept all radio channels free for other things.  The crane probably delayed my build by about 18 months as I tried a couple of different ideas that werent to my satisfaction including pneumatics. I'm now using miniature motors and gearboxes robbed from "sold for spares" camcorders which seems to work fine.

Keep up the good work.

Terry.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 10:59:35 pm »

Well here are the latest developments

I have glued the cabin together, and it came out very nice.  (Thanks to Model Slipway's excellent measurements).  Just the small fillings required and all edges should be nice to look at.  (pictures 1, 2, 3 )

I have been working on the self contained power unit and and finally got a working version  (pictures 4, 5, 6)

The unit is boxed and contains two Esc's to drive the motors, a five volt regulated power supply from the 12 volts input to drive the servos and the RX, via an on/off switch. There are LED's for both circuits to show they are alive, and should go out if the boat ever sinks.   ;D

There are 2, 10 amp fuses for the motors and two 5 amp fuses for the servos and RX.  The Rx is mounted on a steel plate to isolate it from stray signals, and the crystal is easily accessible from the top.  The complete assembly is removable, and could be switched to another boat quite easy.  All that protrudes is the battery connections and the two motor drive leads which are fitted with sockets for easy connection. 

The boats servos are fed into the box at the RX points when required.  I connected it all up and it works like a dream, so far......... :)       Can't wait to fit the cabin out... ( with these vari-focals !!!)

On with the pictures  ......................  Ken

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 10:43:08 pm »

That's a mighty fine looking sub sorry I mean ship ;D ;D ;D you're building there Ken and it's coming together really quick as well, won't be long before she will be getting wet!!! hopefully only on the outside this time ;D ;D ;D
Sorry Ken couldn't resist!!!!
Looking good though.

Mark,  (hop along) ::) ::)
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 11:05:19 pm »

Im not too sure about clamping the rx down like you have.

While I admit there's a lot less vibration in a boat, I always have a bit of insulating foam underneath or around the rx to lessen the amount of vibration it gets. While the vibration may be less than in a plane or car, two motors can produce some and if the rx is strapped in, you could get problem with damage to the circuit board and \ or crystal.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:24:16 pm »

hi mark.    Me and water don't mix   ;D     It will be a while before I show her what she's intended to do !!.  Hope your foot is getting better and hope to see you at the Cwmbran lake soon.  I have applied for membership and eagerly await the result.  ( They don't know my sinking abilities yet !!)

Hi Justboatonic.  The whole  box system sits in a white tray which is  secured to a rubber block on a piece of wood epoxied to the hull. Hopefully the vibrations are damped a bit. There are screws to secure the box and I suppose these might cause some vibration. I'll look into this .  Thank you you for your comments, it's nice to see your interest.

Allthough I'm  'retired', I was called out today on a job  (more boat money  :D )  so I've had a day off to mull over my next move on her construction.   Isn't it nice when one section is done and you move on to the next part of the project.  Building a model boat is like two hundred little jobs, and it seems never ending.  Love it   ;)

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 11:40:59 pm »

Well,  here we are,  down to the tiny bits and pieces.

Believe it or not, I found this section great fun and very relaxing. ( Till I knocked over the bottle of Plastic Weld ....Doesn't it evaporate quickly    ;D )

I am at present working on the crane.  Lot of intricate contruction here, which should be sturdy when finished, but a lot at angles at the moment.

Ken

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 10:59:35 am »

Ken,
Are you planning on a working crane ?  It is possible with a bit of planning before construction.

Terry.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 07:52:21 pm »

Hi Terry

Hopefully yes.   I fitted the whole assembly today  (not permenant yet) and the holes located superbly to allow the boom to come down in the right place.  It pivots in the hole just right. I have pre-strengthend the rear bearings of the boom and have a strong bearing surface with steel bolts for the loads due.

My next problem is to make a removable section on a curved deck to enable access to the cranes motors.  You are right with your comments about how to construct the mechanism. We are in the land of design now. I shall have to think about this one. ( I have the guide from Slipway)   I am taking pictures as I go, but would rather not show them yet in case the design changes.

I've made a little chair for the control box on the crane and it don't half look cute. Are there control sticks for the driver ?  I thought about sewing pins stuck in the console. Is this being a bit picky ?  ( man with too much time on his hands !!)

Catch you again

Cheers...Ken

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 09:13:40 am »

Hi Ken,

As you can see from the first photo. Great modellers think alike.  ;D
Although it cant be seen on the photo, the figure (made from modelling putty) is wearing the mandatory hard hat.

The second photo shows a motor and gearbox robbed from a gash camcorder purchased of ebay for a few quid. This is used for the main hook winch and isnt much bigger than the winch supplied and is actually lighter than the original !

Just a mention of the crane boom cradle that fits onto the front of the main cabin - I realised that if the crane rests on this cradle then I would require 3 hands to remove superstructure from deck for battery access etc. 1 hand to lift crane boom and 2 for the supersture, unless I used the motorised boom lift each time. I thought the best solution was to make locating peg on the end of the boom slightly shorter so that I can lift superstructure without worring about the crane boom each time. Also I found that the boom was catching on the overhang on the roof of the superstructure so by cutting the peg slightly short it now clears ok.

Anything I can help you with then let me know.

Terry.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 10:12:14 pm »

You are right about the overhang, Terry. I spotted this one and did not know what to do about it.  If the boom was contolled by motors, then it would not be free to move out of the way.   Humpff!!  (out with the file)

How much of the deck did you cut out for access to the drive motors ?   I figure if it's on the lower deck underneath the crane then it would have to be a curved piece. More water ingress problems etc.  (think twice...cut once )

I like you little man idea. Watch this space. 

Thanks for the help

Ken

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 09:48:25 am »

Hi Ken,

As you can see I've cut quite a large piece out of the forward section of the main deck and have no problem with the curve as the piece cut out fits quite snugly.  This gives me access to the crane swing drive motor. (Photo 2)

The crane arm lift motor is buried inside the main crane housing. I'm using a gearbox turning a worn drive (Shoehorn required for this  ;)) as I found this gave me better control and looked more realistic than servo control. I tried pneumatics to start with but couldnt get the system to work effectively.

Terry.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 10:18:52 am »

Great ...That's the answer.. Thank you for that. I shall start cutting today.

I notice you have the hook wire drive outside. I thought of putting it inside but also worried about the free running downwards. That is to say, the motor would pull it up, but what would drop the hook if there was no load on it.

Must get on. The dog is walked and the emails checked.  Busier now than when working.  ;D

Cheers...Ken

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 10:46:04 am »

Hi Ken.

I made a new hook from 2 pieces of sheet brass with a free running pulley in between and anchored the far end of the hook wire to the body of the crane. Due to increased weight of the new hook it now runs easily up and down.

Used this as a guide.

Terry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.