Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/144 Dockwise Black Marlin  (Read 5925 times)

Nuke Power

1/144 Dockwise Black Marlin
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:27:45 pm »

Found this form from subpirates.com and thought I would share my first scratch target build. I am using the lost foam technique to make a one off of the Dockwise ship Black Marlin. 
I plan to have a full functional ship with diving capability, bow thrusters, and anchors.

For my first step I made my foam cutting templates from an enlarged set of loading plans provided by the Dockwise website.
I then set out and cut out my basic blank from insulating foam using my woodlands wire foam cutter.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/144 Dockwise Black Marlin
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:37:36 pm »

hi there and welcome to the forum. boatman doing the blue marlin here some links you might find of use.

john

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9014.0

http://www.scheepsmodelbouw.ismijnhobby.nl/

http://www.wk-e.de/Mighty%20Servant%203.html

Nuke Power

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:52:24 pm »

Oh man Boatman is going all out on his.  I am not sure how he got those plans but, I think I emailed every email address Dockwise provided and got nothing.  A good portion of mine has been guess work or lots of picture studying.

Well after I shaped the body I went ahead and shaped the bow and the protrusion on the front.  Perhaps you gents can tell me what it is I am generally a sub builder.

Nuke Power

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:55:30 pm »

After the bow was shaped and stern smoothed down I mixed up a batch of Plaster and filled in all the holes and pits and tried to get everything as symmetrical as possible.

Nuke Power

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:59:06 pm »

After I got all the plaster sounded down and the boat shaped to where I needed it I coated it in tape in preparation for the fiberglass.  I coated the boat in tape because I wil be using Polyester Resin to coat my boat do to its cheapness and availability.

Nuke Power

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:07:45 pm »

After the tape was on I laid the fiberglass.  I first laid a straight resin coat then followed that with a light mat then heavy mat coat.  I then finished the boat off with two more straight resin coats to fill dips and holes.  I am also hoping this will leave me some room for sanding it all to form.

After I was done with the fiberglass I took the boat outside a put it in my kids pool for fun.  I now realize I either need lots of weight or I can make this a wet hull boat like one of my submarines.

Now for the bad part. Instead of picking the boat up I left it in the pool and went inside.  When I came back out the entire loading deck was bowed upward.  I think this is due to the sun heating the air trapped inside the boat causing it to expand.  So now my problem is how do I get it to go back down.  I dilled a relief hole in the top and set a shet of steel on top and then my welder on top of that and left it in the sun.  Its gone down a bit but not all the way.

Any advice on this one guys?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:11:11 pm »

hi the bit on the bow is called a bulbous bow. I like your build approach . You got a good shaped hull from no planes. Its a shame when these company's don't give us modelers a few simple plans. So do you intend to make a mould from the foam hull to make a fiber glass hull.

john

Nuke Power

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:17:02 pm »

No this will be a one off.   Im not putting my workmanship down but I dont think it will be good enough for a production kit.  First I must test my technique then I can improve it with a future model.  Baby steps if you will.

After I have sanded and shaped the hull how I like it I will cut my access holes for the equipment and scoop out the foam on the inside manually or with a bit of gasoline.  Not sure on the gasoline anymore though considering the price!

Any ideas on getting the deck back to shape?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:20:09 pm »

whats the deck made .

Nuke Power

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 11:27:33 pm »

Fiberglass about 3/8" thick

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:56:59 pm »

not sure on that one

john

pops

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 12:44:49 am »

nukepower,

What's under the car cover? Barracuda??  Mustang?? We must know! :)

Nuke Power

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 12:56:15 am »

1967 Ford Mustang fastback GTA

pops

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 01:05:56 am »

Nice!

Pull her dress up a little and show us one day. :)

bigford

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 06:49:01 am »

hey nuke

i did the same thing i e-mailed all the dockwise people i could and got NO answer :(
i wanted to go 1/50 but with no plans  >>:-(

this guy is from germany i think

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 07:10:52 am »

Hey Nuke,

Thats looking real nice. Sounds like a faster build than mine!

I got info from dockwise, pictures and a small set of lines. They were so small enlarging bigger than A4 lost detail on the hull curves, so i used a pantograph - slow but it seems to have worked. Its not an easy hull to plank!

Here is the email address I used:

headoffice@dockwise.com

The reply came from:

Katharina.Urban@dockwise.com

I hope to post some progress this week.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Nuke Power

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 01:25:35 pm »

My only problem at this point is that the loading deck is warped and I am being told since I layed it up in Poly Resin that I am basically screwed. It may take alot of work to fix it in the end.  I was told to start over but......... I dont know about that.  I will keep sanding it down which is turning out to be one hell of a project on its own. Maybe I shouldn't have put down so many layers of resin.

Ive seen that german and his website before.  TO bad its not more complete with say an email address!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.