Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: VLIESTROOM .............. My Build  (Read 35691 times)

Stavros

Re: VLIESTROOM .............. My Build
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 05:57:43 pm »

Hi kenny what motors are you running keep up he good work Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2007, 11:10:20 am »

I have not got that far yet, Stavros. I shall be looking around for ideas, gears, drives,  etc.

I have cut the deck  ooh er !!   Lets a lot of light in. Now have room for motor trays and things. spent last night making tiny cabinets and just been to have a look.  My goodness, that plastic weld is good stuff. ( Two new bottles, so alright for a bit   ;) )  The joints have come out real strong. I'm impressed with contruction.

Unfortunately,     I have put the hydraulic runner guides on the boom, THE WRONG WAY ROUND.  I have to rip them off and re do them again.  Sheeesch, that's a disappointment. Can't imagine how that happened.  How many of you have built something only to come back next day and find a silly mistake. (looked OK at the time. I must be the Norman Wisdom of boat building and sailing)

Great fun though

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2007, 11:22:32 am »

How many of you have built something only to come back next day and find a silly mistake. (looked OK at the time. I must be the Norman Wisdom of boat building and sailing)

Ken,  I think you've answered your question without realising it.

My goodness, that plastic weld is good stuff

I'll say no more.  ;)

Terry.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2007, 01:53:23 pm »

I think you'll find that pixies mess about with your boat at night.
They certainly moved the tow hook on my Canning .5 inch to the right one night, I cann't see how they did it but they did. :(

Stavros

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2007, 05:19:09 pm »

But you are shown motors in your piccies,I am confused Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007, 09:17:54 pm »

Hi Stavros.  I have the main drives all fixed up, and running OK. 

I am now thinking of which motors to fit under the crane.  I need one to turn it around and one to lift the arm and one to let the hook out and back.  I have some ideas and will be looking around for the parts.

Today I rebuilt the crane the right way way around. Made quite a sturdy job of it. I have also fitted collars to the hydraulic rams to allow them to pivot on a brass rod right through the boom.  Had a bit of fun making the little safety fence at the top of the crane and even burnt my fingers with the hot metal and solder.  Brass don't half conduct the heat eh !!

Terry, I have pinched my wife's knitting basket and found the little levers for the crane control cab, just like you.  They do look impressive, with all the colours and raked at different angles.  I hope I can get the window in after painting the cab.

Just epoxied the front deck in and finished for the day. ( another 11 hours work)   Lets hope it stays in place and doesn't move in the night.  I always feel committed when the deck's in.

Cheers...Ken

Pointy

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2007, 10:32:51 pm »

Beautiful work 8)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2007, 11:26:05 am »

Thank you Pointy.

Just took some more pics of the setting glue...

I have not started painting yet, and as such, now have a box full of little bits and shapes all glued and sanded.

Here is the line up of the furniture along with the Crane. I have just placed the boat bits together for the pic and will be 'filling & smoothing' the deck today.  Then it's cut out time for the Bulwarks.

Ken

Stavros

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2007, 09:38:28 pm »

Yoo hoo Tug Kenny will you please STOP sniffing that glue !!!!!!!!!!.It is the main motors thta I am interested WHAT ARE THEY Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 11:01:59 am »

Hi Stavros.

The motors are the Graupner Speed 500E  rated at 12volts.  This boat has quite small Propellers, I thought.  I should imagine she's not going to Zip along. As I mentioned earlier, there won't be a bow thruster, so we shall just glide sedately across the pond looking gorgeous.  ;D

Just checked my 'filling the gaps around the deck' stage and it came out alright. Might start spraying later. I have been working out how to get that nice edge on the paint between the deck and sides.  Should I fit the all those side pieces up to the deck rail first. ( makes painting around them a nightmare !!)

Watch this space.......

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2007, 08:54:22 pm »

I have been quiet for a while as I've been busy on the  'LITTLE'  parts.  I have places a pound coin against them to show their size.  The are part of the walkway system around the side of the cabin.  I'm afraid I've made a bit of a  'Pig's Ear'  of the construction and will sleep on it.  I might come up with a neater version.   ;)

I have made all the railings as separate units and feel very pleased with the result.  Very good therapeutic value, spending two days with the solder iron.

Here are some pictures of how small they are.   I am trying to get all the pieces built but not connected so as to paint them all individually.  When the weather warms up, it's out with spray gun and send my missus out shopping.   ;D

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2007, 08:59:28 pm »

Had a go at the  'Boat Skids'

This is the second version.  I found the first version a little weak and were breaking when the cabin was pulled off.  I have gone up to 2mm material with a bit of epoxy for strength.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 07:54:08 pm »

On with the Paint

I am up to the paint stage now.

Started practicing with my Air brush today.   (See comments in the paint section).   Must say it's harder than it looks, as I've made a right mess of some of the painting. I enclose a few pictures to show, complete with warts and all. I SHALL NOW STAND BACK AND THINK IT OUT AGAIN.

I must say that I'm disappointed with the results. All those months of work covered over with blotchy paint and lumps I didn't know existed. It shows up the flaws a hundred times.  I think it goes to prove that preparation is the paramount need here.

I have used Humbrol paint tinlets with 50% mix of thinners, so it flowed lovely. It was sprayed on with a flowing movement of the arm and didn't run at all. When it hit the plastic it captured dust and hairs and showed up the joins and bumps like there was no tommorrow. I am very upset with the result

The smell in the workshop was something to behold. It crept into the house and brought SWMBO running out complaining. It was good job I had on my £20 face mask with double filters because the fumes tend to build unseen.  :embarrassed:

Anyway, it's out with 800 grit paper tommorrow and see if I can salvage anything.

Ken

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2007, 08:19:49 pm »

That is going to take alot of rubbing down, such a shame after all the hard work you have put in to the build so far. I would say take all the paint off and start again from scratch. It has happened to me a few times, usually a run or debris in the final coat (when I don't have much paint left!!!!)

Stick with it Ken and it will go right in the end.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

slewis

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 09:34:43 pm »

Sorry to have to agree with them Ken  but you will have to rub it all down and start again I am afraid  :-\
I have had this on cars in the past where the paint has been applied to thickly too soon. If this is your first time with an airbrush get yourself some scrap material and practice forst . Build up to the finish with many light coats , that way you are giving any solvents time to evapourate between coats and not just holding (for want of a better word) them behind the next coat.
In this case less is most definatley more.  O0

Oh and on your other thread you mention paint bleeding ? Is this paint creeping under the masking tape you mean ? If so an easy fix for you (and others) paint the first colour (say red) then mask up to where you want the next colour to be (say white) . Now spray a light coat of red along the tape , I know its meant to be white . But the red will bleed under the tape onto the red (not noticable) and will also seal the edge of the tape so you can spray the white over the top with NO creep  O0

Hope that makes sense  O0

Shane

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 11:16:22 am »

Thanks for the advice chaps. Much appreciated. I like the masking idea. Brilliant.

I spent a horrible night thinking about it and agree with what you say.  I shall continue with a fresh heart. Rubbing, here we come.

Can one use a dilutant liquid which won't harm the plastic ? as I have noticed tiny scratch marks appearing on the plasticard now.  The main trouble is that most of the rubbing is in awkward places where the fingers with sand paper and block can't go.  Talk about making a Rod for one's back.  Ugh !!!       I will report later.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 07:35:16 pm »

Well that's the sanding done.  A job not to be taken lightly.   ;)

My thanks go to Stavros , for his excellent advice on the phone, regarding the finer points of paint spraying and treatment.  Can't wait for his full write up, coming soon.   O0

Here we go with some of the intermediate pictures of my progress. The first one shows half way through and one good surface seeing the daylight. I just had to   'snap it'   for the record.   O0

The undercoat is on.  So flat and bump free, I'm over the moon.  The next application is the spray filler. I've never used this stuff, but lets hope it works out allright.

Here are the latest shots ............

Ken

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 07:44:27 pm »

That's looking much better now Ken keep up the good work.

Mark.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 07:56:27 pm »

Thank's Mark.. Yes I'm feeling much better now.  Almost regret having to leave her for the night, but we have to patient and let her paint dry naturally. 

I want to get on with the build. So many little bits to fit. The furniture has got dust on it from hanging around.  :D   and the crane has to be sorted out with motors and cogs. Watch this space for more letters requesting help.  ::)

Cheers...Ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 08:30:53 pm »

Looks tons better Ken. Really felt for you with the last lot of paint.

By the way when did you nick my garden table, when the dog was out for a walk I'll bet ? >:(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2007, 08:47:26 pm »

SWMBO says if it's good enough for Richard, then we must have one.        ;D

Regards the paint, if you were all here I'd buy a drink.  Can't tell you how I'm pleased.

Ken

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2007, 09:49:38 pm »

We are on our way over get your wallet out then Ken. O0 O0 ;D

Mark.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2007, 10:17:44 pm »

Cant drink as I'm on medication Ken, I'll just have me table back.  :police:
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2007, 07:28:03 pm »

We have moved on-a-pace since our enforced workshop stint. Been working 10 hour days and getting on a treat.

I have used 'artistic licence' on some of the colour schemes and the designs of some of the little pieces. Here is the modified wood floor of the cabin roof.

The holes in the brass mast are for the wiring to the lights.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »

That little life raft containers were fun to build.   I really enjoyed that     (thanks FLJ, great design)  Gave me a chance to sit down and work.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.