Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: VLIESTROOM .............. My Build  (Read 35671 times)

bigford

Re: VLIESTROOM .............. My Build
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2007, 09:17:09 pm »

I won't do it tommorrow as it's firework time !!  and I don't want a rocket up the stern.   8)

whats that all about ???

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2007, 09:25:59 pm »

November the 5th.

I was referring to the local youths having a goodly supply of fireworks and looking for somewhere to throw them.

The sight of a model boat on the lake would be tempting things a bit perhaps.  ;)

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2007, 10:22:43 pm »

To Quote Ken

I had to use the aerosol to keep to the same colour.  I sprayed a bit in the lid and then brushed it carefull over the imperfections.  Funny effect then occurred. The paint was melting the original spray ??  if I used two many brush strokes it was bring up the undercoat, so I eased up and just did one swipe with the paint. Worked out OK in the end.

This is caused by the thinners in the Aerosol,not only this but the thickness of the paint film applied by aerosol's is very thin hence being attacked by painting on by brush

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2007, 08:35:14 pm »

Here are the pictures of my control box.

I have made the control box complete with three Speed controllers, A 5 volt stabilised supply for the servos, a six channel Futaba Receiver. Four fuses and an on/off switch with LED.  All that shows are the three motor leads coming out along with the Ariel and the supply wires to the battery. For connection to the Rx for other servos there is cut slot on the side.

This should be able to be fitted to each boat I build without buying further equipment.  ::)

Today I semi completed the motorisation of the crane. I have it rotating 180 degrees, all be it rather jerky due to the plastic tube grinding in the plastic base. More thought required here, methinks.  The motors from the LYDL Crane are a little weak so I've fitted a 12 volt slimline type of motor ( make not known)  with a bevel gear to a large cog wheel.

I'm now working on the crane lifting mechanism. My goodness, that requires a lot of force !!.   Might go to gears and levers somehow.  The lifting hook is a complete mechanism, courtesy of Lydl's and it's a lovely little unit. I should be able to run the rope up through the tube and out on top the arm of the crane. It's not fitted yet as I have to clear the lifting part when in use.

I have a movie of it so far. As it's 90 megs of film, I shall have to cut it down a bit before I put it on Photbucket.  ;)

Ken

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2007, 09:00:06 pm »

Hi Kenny

First of all, I like the look of that control box - and any chance of any pics so we can see what is in it?

Also, model is looking good.  Here's an idea for the hoisting winch for your crane.  Get an old servo and remove the potentiometer, so that gives you continuous movement in either direction/forward or reverse.  Leave the gearing in as well in the servo - because little servos are quite torky.  Where the servo arm fits on top of the servo, you can fit a sail winch drum or make your own winch drum to locate on this place.  What you have to remember is, you will be restricted to very light weight that the crane will lift, not because of the strength and the structure of the crane, but whilst the model is out on the water, you will find lifting anything but rather light weights will have drastic effects on the stability of the vessel.   Not unless you are thinking of building in a counterbalance system where you are lifting from port or starboard side of the ship, you have a counterbalance which counterbalances the crane.

Food for thought my friend.

But, its looking really nice your model is.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2007, 09:26:35 pm »

Thank you John.

NO ....  I shall not be lifting anything heavy. I don't want to go in the briny AGAIN ... ;D

This is purely a lifting the arm to show off,  project !!!!

I like your ideas very much and will give it much thought.  One of the first mockups resulted in it not fitting the space allowed. It has to be a removeable chassis under the crane and this is poked through the deck aperture, which I cut a bit small.  :(    (1st time scratch builder me)

I will take some more pictures of the control module for you tommorrow. I forgot to mention that I have the Speed controllers individually switched in case I only have a single prop boat with no bow thruster, on the next model.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2007, 09:32:54 pm »

Here is a close up of the controller.

It shows the bank of fuses above the three Speed controls. To the right is the smoothed 5 volt fused supply. In the lid is the three SCR switches. To the front is the Rx with crystal uppermost for easy changing.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2007, 09:35:47 pm »

This picture was left behind ............. :embarrassed:

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2007, 09:49:50 pm »

Ken,
I'm a bit concerned with the proximity of your rx to all that "dirty" wiring.

See how your sea trials go but should you suffer any interference problems then you may have to consider relocating the rx.

Terry.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2007, 10:09:21 pm »

hi there Kenny,

What do you think of this idea, food for thought, instead of butchering a servo, using a servo to operate a wedge which in turn pushes on a push rod to lift the jib of the crane.   The jib of the crane is returned to its resting place when the wedge is moved back and also a spring which pushes on a stop.  At the bottom of the push rod, you could fix a small wheel which would ride on the wedge and also the wedge would have to be about double the width of the wheel in thickness to allow for the crane slewing and the wheel not moving off the wedge.   Its an idea to play around with, just gives you another headache. 

Hope this is of some help.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2007, 08:09:19 pm »

Been working steadily on the crane and have come up with the latest mock up.  ;D

I have a motor with a bevel gear to turn the crane. The lifting of the arm is done by a servo linked to a bar with 2 to 1 ratio length. Should keep down the forces needed on the Servo. This will be coupled up through the length of crane to raise the arm. I'm hoping it wont push the crane off its mounting,   ::)

To this end I have arranged a securing system which can ease the removal of the complete crane without serious disassembly.

The hook is fed from a Lydl crane motor assembly though gears and a winch and is pullied up through and will go along the arm.

Unfortunately it's to big to fit into the boat, so I will have to cut a bit more out of the deck.  (it being painted and all !!)

Also, I have doubts about it's weight in the Bow.  Must get on, as boat number three beckons.   O0

I have found the adjustment on the camera for 'Close ups',  so enclose a sample of getting right in there.   8)

Ken

maso

« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2007, 09:20:28 am »

Good info on the crane. I'm starting to sort mine out, still a while off yet, but I need to think about it now while i'm building it. Hate to go back later and chop things up.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2007, 07:48:22 pm »

Did a bit of transfer sticking today. Now it's starting to look the Biz, as they say.

Decided to take the plunge and cut a bigger hole in the deck.  Found out the crane motor assembly was too high and wouldn't fit under.

Now working on crane mechanism number three...  ::)

I cut a new cover, which will need shaping into the curve of the deck and it will need painting. Just when I've put the gear away...  ;D

Cheers....Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2007, 09:45:15 pm »

It's Bouy Time

Decided to rest my bamboozled brain and start on the Bouys.

Believe it or not, this little collection has taken two days so far.  Fiddly or what !!!

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2007, 07:49:47 pm »

Here we are back again in the flow ....  Just had a little bout of  'Man Flu'

Sprayed up the Buoys. Three days waiting between coats.

Have redesigned the Crane mechanism and fitting it all together for the umpteenth time.

The main problem seems to be removing the crane (if need be) at a future date for repairs. The motor is on a removeable carriage as the crane withdraws from above. This involved designing a locking arrangement for the drive shaft tube.  Pictures to follow.

Here are the latest deck scenes.  (must build the safety rail against the cabin !!)

Ken

Captain Povey

« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2007, 08:16:48 pm »

Hi Ken, Good to see you Warwick and sorry to hear about the man flu. I had a touch myself last week on top of the shingles so have felt better. She is really coming on well now and has a super look about her, the finish looks excellent. Cheers Graham O0

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2007, 08:34:26 pm »

Hi Graham

Glad you're feeling better. I'm also glad to be better.  (probably standing in the shed with the door up !!)

Yes, I'm going at top speed now. I've stared at this one long enough now.

Thanks for your comments. It's like a production line here. Bit of gluing, bit of cutting plastic, bit of wiring, bit of soldering. My head's in a whirl.   :D

Isn't it funny. You sit at the bench having a tea break while starring at the model and you notice something else to do !!!    and when did that little part dissappear  !

Ken

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2007, 09:08:01 pm »

hi kenny found these photos on the net. i know the crane is fixed in the boom elevation but thought it might be of use to you. john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2007, 10:14:39 pm »

Thank's for the Pics, cos918. You wouldn't believe how close they are.

Been working all day on the 'frame'.  I'll post up some pictures soon.  I've been fixing in the extras, (little people and buoys etc.)  and it's nearly finished.

Water trials start soon.  ooh er

Ken.

Stavros

« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2007, 10:21:28 pm »

Right Ken two words spring to mind with your track record CHEST WADERS

STAVROS

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2007, 10:31:02 pm »

Hi Stavros

SWMBO might get me some for Xmas, if I'm a good boy....... ;D 

Funny, but she also says "why put it anywhere near water, as it's a good looking boat and all that work", " lovely paint job", etc.  But you know me, glutton for punishment, and all that. I have a film to finish.  :embarrassed:

Let me be the first to wish you and all the members a   Merry Christmas

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2008, 08:23:47 pm »

Well she's nearly finished. Just the crane motors to wire up and a movie to make  ;)

Took Vliestroom to the clubs annual meeting and was presented with the Chairmans plaque for 2007. What a surprise. I was very pleased indeed.

This is my Fleet, so far.

Ken

banjo

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2008, 09:00:53 pm »

Well done you!

Recognition by ones fellow members is praise indeed.

O0

barryfoote

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2008, 08:35:57 am »

Brilliant Ken. I don't know how you keep more than one model on the go at once though!!

Barry

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2008, 09:58:05 am »

Well done Ken on almost completing the project (just the crane left). Its not an easy build as you've found out but well worth all the effect especially with the recognition from your club.  Hopefully we'll meet up at an event this year and compare notes.

Terry.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.