Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member from County Durham  (Read 2158 times)

GrayWanderer

• Shipmate
  • Beginning to learn
New member from County Durham
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:58:54 pm »

Hi,

A real beginner here as I am just starting my second model boat.  The first was a kit of the SS Talacre which took a lot more work than I ever thought.  Mostly because I would construct part of the ship, then a few other parts then decide what I had dome earlier was not good enough.  Learned a lot though.

Then I bought a model of the minesweeper Sir Kay.  Unfortunately we were flooded about then and the kit lay gathering dust for 2 years.  I was just about to start on it when I saw an article in a model magazine about a scratch built monitor the Sir Clive.  At the same time I read an article about the Cerberus and was hooked.  So my second model is being scratch built using the basic design of the Sir Clive but trying to be as close as possible to the Cerberus.  I cannot seem to keep my hands off it.  Not sure if I am going for remotely controlled turrets yet.

Two bits of advice if anyone can help.  First does anyone know of a model shop in the North East which sells useful model boat parts.  My local shop is focused on cars and trains and apart from paint etc is not much help.  Materials for construction and decking are particularly scarce.  Secondly if anyone knows of the location of some decent detail photos of the Cerberus would be great.

Cheers
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New member from County Durham
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:51:20 am »

Hi GrayWanderer,
is this the Cerberus your looking for?

www.cerberus.com.au

cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:47:50 am »

Welcome aboard GrayWanderer

You will find there are lots of modellers in your part of the world who will be only to happy to assist you if you need it. Just pop a question on this site.
A good way to do this is to do a build log. You don't need to be a master builder to do this and you will find lots of people willing to give you tips along the way.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:33:53 am »

Welcome. Used to live C-l-S before moving to the SW 25 years ago.  Family still live in Birtley. Nice to have you onboard.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:20:04 am »

Graywanderer. sorry I don't know the geography on your side of the river (Tyne) but there is Phills model shop North Shields
I know it is a bit of a distance. and if you want plasticard or plastic profile and brass tube etc and fancy a nice
run out there is a model shop which I use actually on the Platform of Hexham railway station.
Needless to say it is train orientated but carries plenty of construction material.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

GrayWanderer

• Shipmate
  • Beginning to learn
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 11:20:52 am »

Many thanks for the replies and advice.  The link is the Cerberus I am interested in.  On the Australian web site she looks a bit sad but they seem determined to get her back to her glory days.  They do sell a set of plans so if push comes to shove I may have to buy them.  There are quite a few photos of Cerberus around but they lack detail.

I will try both the Hexham and North Shields shops.  In fact I was thinking of going to Hexham this afternoon.  Easy place to get my wife to go as she likes the shops.

I will think about the build log.  Sounds a good way to get advice,  Bit twitchy about my skills at the moment.

Thanks again.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »

GrayWanderer, you have a PM
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 04:24:05 pm »

Welcome aboard Graywanderer,

There are 2 model shops in North Shields - Phills (as mentioned by "Pugwash") is on Nile Street. This is a one way street with limited parking, which is chargeable by the minute i.e. 20p gets you 20 minutes etc..The staff at Phills are very helpful and won't try to convince you to buy stuff you don't need, and their advice is free !

The other model shop is GLADSTON'S in Bedford Street, just a short walk from North Shields Metro Station - in fact, when you exit the station you will be virtually half way between the 2 shops, should you decide to visit them both.

There is also a wholesalers premises on the Tyne Tunnel Trading Estate (High Flatworth) known as BAY PLASTICS. They sell full sheets of plasticard (referred to by some as "styrene") I bought one from them 3 weeks ago for £7.20p. That particular sheet was 1.5mm thick. I've cut it up now but I think it was 6ft x 2ft 6in or thereabouts.

http://www.phillsmodels.com/

http://www.gladstons.com/shop/

www.bayplastics.co.uk

Note: There are also a number of model boat clubs in the north east - pop along to 1 or 2 and ask the members where they get their bits and pieces.
Most clubs meet at least once a week, usually on Sunday Mornings.

Have fun.

Regards,

Ray.

Tynemouth Model Boat Club.

GrayWanderer

• Shipmate
  • Beginning to learn
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 08:06:13 pm »

Thanks again for the info locally, nationally and internationally.  I feel more confident now????  I will visit the North Shields shops next weekend when my wife is Edinburgh.  There is also a model boat club at Herrington Park near me so I will have a trip there next weekend also. 

Getting a bit worried about how addictive this might become.  I have the flat bottom and bulkheads fitted and am beginning to think about what to build next.

Technical question.  I have been using a waterproof PVA glue but whilst it is very strong it takes a long time to dry.  Any alternatives.  How about 2 part fast curing epoxy?

tritsch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 07:53:36 am »

I am (still) building a model of the Cerberus. I say still as it has been going on for quite a few years, I am now at the stage of making and fitting all the fittings, bits and pieces that go on the decks, theoretically it shouldn't be long now, some photos are available on this site.

I just thought I would let you know of two books or a book and a set of plans that are available.  "The Three-Headed Dog  - towards the first battleship" by Bob Nicholls  is a 190 page book that you may be able to pick up second hand and secondly a 1:96 set of plans is available from Webb warships Pty Ltd. I should also warn you that like most ships it changed considerably over its lifetime and it can be  a pain to try to work out what was what at the date you decide for your build.

enjoy -  I've enjoyed my build.

Tony T

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 05:14:20 pm »

How about 2 part fast curing epoxy?

Yep, that's what I use a lot of the time, especially where water resistance is required.
I usually get mine from Wilkinson's. They do a Rapid setting (about 5 min) and a repositionable (about 20 min) but they are both "mix it yersel" 50/50.

Of course there are others, such as Araldite, which come in twin tube syringes.

Keep an eye on Lidl's as well, they occasionally get the twin tube stuff in - cheap, but efficient.

The best I've ever used is "Stablit Express" (German make) but it is quite expensive >>:-(

Regards,

Ray.

GrayWanderer

• Shipmate
  • Beginning to learn
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:59 pm »

Just a thank you for all the advice.  Particularly to Capt Podge for the links to North Shields model shops.  I went to Phills today and it was very useful.  A great shop and very helpful people.  In fact they talked me out of buying something.  Impressive.  Also huge thanks to vnkiwi who has put me on the right road to building the Cerberus and helped me decide which "modification" of the ship to build.  I have decided on the as built version in 1870.  In some ways the mods in 1872 to add lots of smaller guns looks more impressive I want to build the ship as she was made. 

I will post some photos soon and will start with my first major error.  I heeded the advice to do lots of research but did so on small details and missed the minor fact that the basis of my model (Lord Clive) had a round stern but Cerberus had a pointed one.  Oops.  Thankfully I noticed before the glue dried.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 07:44:56 pm »

Glad to hear you made it to "Sheels" as we pronounce it  :-)

...and there is a quote somewhere that states "the man who never made a mistake never made anything" - I think that is most appropriate for our hobby  O0

Regards,

Ray.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.