Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I colour polyester resin?  (Read 7804 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Can I colour polyester resin?
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:06:58 am »

This is not a boat related question. Can I add colour to resin? I don't mean gel coat. I want to repair a floor, but would need to add a grey colour to the resin. What do I use if it is possible.

Thanks,

Barrie

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Can I colour polyester resin?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:28:10 am »

Polyester resin pigments are easily available online.
I've used these guys;  http://www.resin-supplies-shop.com/epages/BT3657.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3657/Categories/Pigments  and found them very good.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:35:29 pm »

if its the same stuff as i use then pigments are realy expensive as i could only get 1kg tubs,
i have found acrylic paints mix well .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:22:50 pm »

While on the subject of resin colour:- 
Can anybody tell me why various g/f hull manufacturers appear to only make their hulls, for what are obviously working boats, in white??  I would have thought that black is a much more appropriate for tugs, barges etc.  Or perhaps rust colour would be even better?  {:-{

NNF

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 11:55:46 pm »

Black Gelcoat in a black mold is a b****r to see and make sure the mold is fully coated.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 12:37:55 am »

http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/   provides color shells anti-foulling

It remains to be painted black above, it is very easy

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:56:14 am »

Simple reason for white is that white is the colour of ready mixed gel coat most companies make and you can get over a counter. You can by black pigment to make grey or red if you want pink. J
For a “rust” colour you need to get clear gel coat and the right colour pigment. The red oxide pigment is not cheap here and hard to find. Also you have to be very careful how much pigment you put in or the gel coat will not go off.
I usually make the moulds in white and the hulls in a shade of grey.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:34 am »

Besides the practical reason for using a white gelcoat that have been given.  White is better for painting on to.  If you need to use a light colour on a hull black usually needs more covering up than a lighter colour and the base colour can "shade" the paint. So, for example, a strong yellow can be dulled down by a dark surface unless several coats are used.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:52:53 am »

My own experience with pigments are that some cover better than others.

Black and white cover very well, and don't forget you can mix the two together to get various shades of grey.

Yellow is a tricky colour to avoid a streaky finish for some reason.

You can get small quantities of pigment at Alec Tiranti's. It does work out more expensive compared to buying larger quantities, but unless you are going to be producing hulls for sale, you won't be using much anyway.

Black and white are the two most useful pigments IMO, but if you want a bright colour then stick with the primaries e.g. red, yellow and blue, with those you can then mix any shade of pigment you want within reason.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 11:22:30 am »

Thanks guys. As I said this is not a model boat related query. I have a hole in a newly laid laminate floor in a grey tile finish. The thought of having the whole floor lifted to repair what is a gash about 4 cm by 1 cm had me trying to find an alternative solution. (Its not a cost issue - the people who made the gash will pay)

I have tried mixing Humbrol enamel into the resin, and that seems to have set OK on a test piece, but I will probably try some of the correct pigments.

Barrie

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 09:45:01 am »

You can use ordinary oil paints as a pigment. All pigments compromise the strength of the resin, but it isn't really a big deal for something like that.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:12:15 pm »

Barrie try these guys,i build boats and i only use clear gelcoat and colour them myself to get the colour i want,no reason you cant do the same to resin,gelcoat is actually a thickened resin itself so no issues with colouring it just the same for your use and you dont need much.
If you call them up they will give you a cheaper postage price than if you order online as the online form is meant for larger orders.Or try ebay as they also have an ebay store.

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/c-604-pigments-polyester-epoxy-polyurethane.aspx

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:26:23 pm »

left over humbrol paints

Ive coloured them in such a way so i know what boat hull is what, and yes they are different from the mould colour

They are obviously to be finnished to a higher detail later on, no loss in strength or difference in cure time

:-)) 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.