Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabino Build Log  (Read 31751 times)

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Sabino Build Log
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:13:24 pm »

All,

Some of you may have been following my Sabino Engineering Build Log in Steam R &D which is an amalgamation of several steam focused threads.  I thought at this point, the Steam section might be more appropriate for the work on the hull.  In so much as this is my third winter of work, over the next several days, I'll get the hull work caught up to date.  Then, postings will slow to a crawl...

The Sabino is a 1908 steam boat designed the rivers of Maine that was later modified to work in the bays of Maine.  The major modification was to add two sponsons to the sides of the hull to reduce roll and then widen the superstructure for new hull.

Sabino is still afloat and operating at Mystic Seaport in Mystic CT USA

http://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/vessels/sabino/

I obtained plans from the Seaport and enlarged them to permit a 1/16 scale build.  This size would be as large as I thought I could manhandle up and down my cellar stairs. 

Landlocked/Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Sabino Build Log
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:16:22 pm »

The hull lines reflect the current hull.  To build it, I realized I would need to simulate building the original hull and then add on the sponsons.  Here I'm guesstimating what the original lines might have looked like.

Landlocked/Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sabino Build Log
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 10:30:53 pm »

Initial phases where fairly typical.  I made the backbone and then I glued the lines onto the frames.  Having cracked thin frames on earlier boats, I cut the frames out solid, test fitted everything into mortises on the backbone, and then cut the frames "thin."  I made a building stand angled to reflect the keel's drag to hold the backbone in a Workmate for after it comes of the strongback.

Landlocked/Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Sabino Build Log
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:38:24 pm »

Apologies to my English teachers.  I know the difference between were and where >>:-(

Since the sponson planking runs over the original hull planking, I added short "sister" frame pieces on which land the butt ends of the "original planking.

Landlocked/Ken

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 11:16:45 pm »

Hullo Ken.......

I am a little lost with the hull lines.  :embarrassed: ...
Is the water line about the level marked BPOW..?.......

Just having a little difficulty %) in understanding how such a modification could reduce a rolling moment

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 11:21:28 pm »

I didn't quite (alright, not even close) figure out what the natural planking runs should be for the inner hull.  Good thing it's a workboat and not finished bright.

Sponson planking had me stumped for quite a while.  I couldn't figure out where the planks should run.  When I realized that using the bottom of the extended bumper as if it was the keel, I could plank towards the inner hull and have the board lay flat.  Took a little while to figure out the rabbet at the forward end.

Landlocked/Ken 

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Waterline
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:29:05 pm »

Derek,

Line 4 is roughly the waterline.  What looks like BPOW on the right side of the picture is the mirror image of the word sponson which is partially cropped.  The original lines had the forward sections on one side of the centerline and the aft sections on the other so I had to mirror image the copy to get both sides.

The original hull width roughly follows the line of the french curve for that station.  There's a faint line for the next section visible to the left of the french curve.  You can see the inner hull shape better looking at the next post with the molds set up. 

The sponsors added a lot of beam and a little bit more bouyancy (particularly in the aft sections).  As the boat rolled more of the sponsor entered the water and resisted the roll.

Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 11:30:34 pm »

Derek,

One correction.  BPOW is SPON on the right.  I lost the graphic when I started typing so got confused.

Ken

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 04:19:54 pm »

Nice work! Power plant choice?

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:07:14 am »

Xrad,

Power plant is a TVR1A.

Engineering details on depicted on this thread.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41750.0.html

Enjoy!

Ken

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 12:25:25 am »

Fine little engine. Runs well once broken in. I have a BB version but not sure BB's are needed.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 06:04:00 pm »

Hello Ken
Very interresting boat and very nice job.  Looking at your engineering subject  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41750.0.html  I've seen that you changed the name to African Queen as the hull was wrong. 
But it was in september 2013 when you said that - what about now with this Sabino built log ? Is it a new hull or just the built log of the "wrong" one ?
I have a friend here in Europe interrested with the Mystic Seaport Sabino, in fact I was attracted to your subject because of the name Sabino and thinking about details for him.
Cheers
Xtian

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 10:34:10 pm »

Xtain,

The name is still Sabino.  And it is the Sabino's hull design.  When floating in the water without the superstructure, with the grasses around it, I thought I could imagine it as the African Queen.

Ken

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 09:03:29 pm »

Love he old ones keep up the good work O0
John

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 03:09:00 am »

All,

Last thing I did before gluing the coverboards down along with the outer section of the deck was to foam the forward and aft sections. 

I built the coverboards in two layers with a lip on the inside edge to slide the deck under.  The plywood will receive thin styrene strips to simulate the planks.

Landlocked/Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Deckhouse Planking
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 03:17:36 am »

Before the great crash, I asked the forum on advice on how to simulate beaded tongue and groove planking.   As you can see in these pictures, it seems like everything on Sabino has a beaded edge.

I decided to attempt to try to fake things with a buildup out of styrene.  The results to date are mixed.  The bead didn't seem to want to stay fully bedded into its groove.  I don't know how much detail will stay once I paint. 

I knew I wasn't going for "museum quality" from the beginning.  Hope it will pass the "five foot away" test. 

Landlocked/Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 03:21:18 am »

First pieces built were the forward bulwarks.  I printed mirror image copies of the hawse pipe area to help drill them.  I think I'll make a decal for the carving work.

As you can see, mixed results on the beaded tongue and groove.

Landlocked/Ken

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 03:43:14 am »

Well Ken....sometimes in life we should stand back & reconsider if our ship owners  <*< or shipyard masters  >>:-( are asking too much of the scale dockyard crew   :o

Scaling down T&G wooden planking or battens is OK  O0......... but don't blame the painters & dockers when the actual detail is lost in the paint nominated by the shipyard master......... {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 02:48:46 am »

Good progress recently.  This post brings me up to current. 

I got smarter when I started building the main sections of the bulwarks.  I made duplicates of the covering boards and punched the holes through the lower layer of the railings at the same time as I punched the holes through the covering boards for the bulwark posts.  Much smarter than when I did the forward sections (and easier to keep the posts vertical).

After I get the bulwarks painted (I'll remove the railings for that) and determine where they need to be notched for the deckhouses, I'll  trim the posts flush and install the upper layer.

Second photo shows the main bulwarks planked.  The forward section has been spray painted.  The planking detail did not disappear but I quickly realized that enough paint to cover the styrene is not enough to fully coat the wood.  I'll go back and touch up the hawsepipe wood.  I need a bit of filler to close up the gap between the wood and the styrene.  I hand painted the wooden posts that will be exposed on the inside.  I'll lightly spray the inside of the bulwarks this week. 

Planking had a lot of the same problems as the earlier section except, too late, I realized that I needed to have faired the bulwark posts as if they were ribs.  Also, I pulled the thin sheet styrene (my base layer) too tight and it didn't arc around the curves but ran point to point (post to post). The longer, thicker bottom plank wanted to bow out a bit more than I would have liked. Consequently, there was more art to fitting the normal thickness planks around the curved stern.  The tension from the bends also pulled the styrene loose from the wooden posts. Bottom line -- the bulwark planking is a lot more wavy than I would have liked.

I also made the bulwark sections for the boarding gap.  They are set back a bit.  On the original, hand rails flip up and the bulwarks are three stacked boards.  I opted not to get that cute and they'll be fixed in place.

Since I've caught up to today, update posts will be a bit more infrequent.  After painting the bulwarks, I'll turn to planking the exterior deck areas and then start on deckhouse sides.

Landlocked/Ken

DELAUNAY

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 08:33:33 am »

Hello;
 I find this very interesting SABINO construction!
 SE passenger boat my already attract and I'm looking for plans (couples and longitudinal) but I would like to build in its original, non-extended version and a more reduced scale to have a length of 700 mm shell.
 I am attentive following your construction of the SABINO and his machine to steam.
 Cordially F. Delaunay   :-))

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 04:05:41 am »

Mr. Delauney,

I purchased the plans from Mystic Seaport but the lines only show the current widened hull.  You could estimate the narrow hull version as I did (earlier post) and it should work.

Mystic sells a book called "A Steamboat Named Sabino" by George King III that has pictures of the original narrow boat called "Tourist." 

I'm building at 3/4" to the foot (1:16) and it'll be about 45" long.  1/2 inch to foot (1:24) scale should give you a boat should be about perfect.

Landlocked

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 04:49:38 pm »

what a great job you have done   :-))

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 02:06:44 am »

Bernhard,

Thanks for the compliment.  This has been a real learning process since it is the first time I've used styrene.  It will meet the 5 ft away good enough standard.

The weather is starting to get nice outside.  I'm not going to quite get to my build goal for this winter but that won't keep me from doing some steaming trials to see if I getting the mechanicals right.

Hope to have something worth taking a picture of soon.

Ken/Landlocked.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 03:15:54 am »

Great work,  these boats are the kind I love best the old timers with real history keep up the good work :-))
Cheers
John

DELAUNAY

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 09:21:55 pm »

Hello Ken,
Nice work, I look forward ais the end of this construction!  :-))
Ais I followed your advice and at first I board buy the book of King George III.
But I do not find how to make a commendatory plans of SABINO?
Anyway it will take me that couples and profile of the keel of the first version, maybe in the book I find my happiness?
Congratulations and forgive my Anglai; Google translation is not too good.  ok2
Regards Francois
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.