Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabino Build Log  (Read 31635 times)

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sabino Build Log
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 02:11:31 am »

Francois,

Mr. George's book has very reduced versions of the plans I bought separately and then enlarged.  The hull lines are on page 123.  The lower half of the body plans reflect the slender version of "Tourist" but they then bulge outward to form the widened version of "Sabino."  The construction plans on page 122 show the cross section of the slender hull and then the added on frames and planking for the wide hull.  You could use the five cross-sections of the page 122 plan and then fill in a couple of stations by extending the lines like I did early in this thread.  Your frame spacing might not be even but it should work.

Good luck,

Ken

DELAUNAY

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »

Hello Ken!
Thank you for your answer!  :-))
Whenever I am in possession of this book I look.
Will I bother you for some explanation, in case I have a problem?
Sincerely François

" google translation "

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 10:55:03 pm »

Francois,

Ask away!

Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 11:42:44 pm »

All,
I've made some progress on the cold days.  I have the outer walls in the  amidships section done.
Starboard side was a bear.  I had problems getting the 1/4 in long pieces to stay aligned while planking the window dividers.  Several are clearly tilted mid section and I didn't detect until several more were in place.

Then I had my forehead smacking moment.  These pieces were short enough that there was no flexing needed to follow the sheer line of the hull.  I could make them as a block and then cut the strips to width.
The second forehead bruise came when I realized I didn't have to keep the hull mounted vertically in its stand and kneel alongside but could lean it over.  Dooh!!  >>:-(
Port side went very quickly!! :}

Ken/Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 11:43:40 pm »

Oops, this should have been the second picture.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 02:50:09 am »

Hi having some experience with these types of vessel it is important to follow the lines of sheer with doors and windows also most have forward windows angled top to bottom towards the bow or stern in the case of double enders just to make it easier to build Yea right O0
Cheers
John

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Warped Styrene
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 03:45:22 am »

Hi,

Went back to the work bench as winter has started and was surprised to find two small styrene panels had warped.  They were two sections of bulkhead, planked with strips on two sides.  How does styrene warp and how does one straighten the panels?

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 10:46:59 am »

The answer to both questions I should imagine is  "Heat"

You may be able to persuade it back into place with a hot air gun.  Any pictures. so that we can see the damage please.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 12:06:45 pm »

It's just a thought it might not be the styrene ,I see from your photos there is wood in the build it might be the wood has moved , this is not ease to check .. Just a thought .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 03:03:58 pm »

certain glues and paints will also affect styrene....

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 02:08:48 am »

Ken,

Pictures as requested.  Panels are the port and stbd end panels for the main cabin.  They bridge from the outer bulkhead to the doorways flanking the "ladies" cabin.

I tried resaturating the joints for the main beam with solvent and pressing it flat with no luck.

Any idea how hot to heat the panels?  Can I heat them in a toaster oven and then place them between weights?

Landlocked

DELAUNAY

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 08:08:41 am »

Hello Ken,

To straighten couldn't you used a hair dryer on a scrap piece of the same material as the twisted walls?

Kind regards

François

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 08:53:02 am »

Ken, the warping is caused by having dissimilar materials bonded together. Wood on plastic need a different technique. You must allow the wood to move to relieve the stresses. The plasticard is very stable but the wood expands and contracts with differences of temperature and also humidity. It expands only a small amount in length but a large amount in width. This is due to the grain in the wood.  The vertical planks need to be secured to the plasticard using only a dab of adhesive in the centre of the plank. The ends must be allowed to float under rebates in the surrounding frame. Take a look at a panelled door. The panels are not glued into the frame but are quite free to move as required. You really need to make these bulkheads up more or less as they would be on the full size vessel, ie. tongue and groove and rebates. The top and bottom rails need to be well secured to the above and below decks to get their strength.
Best of luck,
Jerry.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 10:39:06 am »

Now I've seen the pictures, I realize the dis-similar materials are fighting each other.

Jerry is right.  Heating and bending the structure would only work in the short time. I should imagine you're going to have to re-make it with these ' mods'.

So sorry I couldn't be of more help.

ken

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 10:46:39 am »

{:-{

Hello

You can do everything you want it will always be twisted.
You will put fewer time to begin again.
The result will be better

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2014, 02:54:19 pm »

All,

The warped pieces are only made of styrene.  There's no wood in these part.  The stanchions for the outer bulkheads are styrene on wood but not here.

I agree rebuilding is probably faster than trying to force these pieces into shape.  I just don't want the same thing to happen again.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 04:23:41 pm »

Oh well, in that case the heat gun and clamps will do the trick.  I would also fit an extra support across the inside edge at right angles  (if it doesn't show on the finished model)

Cheers

ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 03:22:18 am »

Heat gun applied.  Styrene softens up pretty quickly.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the results but intend to get them mounted quickly.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Proper Prior Planning Prevents....
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 03:01:44 am »

Hi,

Now that I have my aft wing walls straight enough, I started to work on the forward curved walls of main cabin that provide room on the exterior for the stairwells (ladders if you're Navy) to the upper deck.  I realized that I had glued the sills to the deck with no provision to attach the walls.  I decided to use some .80 X .80 styrene as channels to fit the walls into but had to way to fully clamp the curved pieces in place.  I original made a additional sill layer from my thinnest plywood but was unsuccessful in getting a good glue up to the semi-springy styrene.  I switch to a thin piece of styrene sheet and at it held the sections just fine.  I'll use the same approach for several other wall sections.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Oops
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 03:05:36 am »

Somehow I hit a key chord and it posted before I was ready.  Here is the picture to illustrate my sill challenge.

Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
More Warping
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2014, 02:57:45 am »

Hi,

Working on the walls of the Ladies Lounge and the warping started again.  Put a 1/2 dozen "tongue and groove" planks in place (see lower portion page one of thread for my T & G approach) and thing curled upward over night. 

Remedied this time by gluing the faux studs in place to add rigidity. 

My WAG is that the backing sheet is so thin that the solvent is letting the bonds slip so the sheet "grows" a bit.  Studs will go in place first for the few walls/partitions remaining.

Landlocked/Ken. 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2014, 09:16:41 pm »

You can WYSIWYG type using -

Also you can use the Preview button -   

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2014, 11:40:16 pm »

Well,

Once again the computer's winning.  Trying to see if I can get the full text to post this time.
I'm well into the third year of my build and I'm at a crossroads --install some wall/bulkhead pieces exterior finished-only, see some progress, and stay inspired or work the interior side of the walls too and lose motivation.

I think I was overly ambitious when I scoped this effort.  If I do the outside only, I have a chance of finishing the project while I'm still hale enough to carry it and enjoy it on the water.  When I turn infirm and can only putter (or is it potter(?)) around the house, maybe I'll get back to doing the interior. 

Does my calculus sound about right?

Ken/Landlocked

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 12:30:57 am »

you got it right, go sailing now, rest can wait

:-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
New Years Day Status
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2015, 04:13:58 am »

Happy New Year!

I finally made enough progress that I thought I could share.

I mounted the wall sections I assembled late last year and built the Ladies Lounge walls (they're taped together for the photo, will spray paint before gluing in).

I'll leave it to the eagle eyes (those able to find Martin's damn cat last year) to spot the "straightened" walls that warped over the summer.

The second photo shows the removable locker designed to provide access to the steering gear. 

Next step is to build the upper deck.  First challenge is to figure out how to make the deck edge fit over the cabin sides and still have the whole deck be removable for maintenance (I'm thinking I'll have a removable center portion of the deck for operational access).

Landlocked

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.