Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabino Build Log  (Read 31631 times)

DELAUNAY

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Sabino Build Log
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2016, 06:25:50 am »

Well hello;
Too handsome !  :-))
I unfortunately abandoned the construction of the mine at the plane ...
I'm no good and well cluttered workspace. <:(
Good result.
cordially

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Pilot House With Graphics
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2016, 05:44:28 pm »

All, It's mid-May and the build season is coming to an end.  Didn't make as much progress as I would have liked (so what's new?) but the pilot house (exterior) is pretty much done.  I have the railings up for the foredeck but still need to install the netting.

I pulled the steam plant out -- decided I wanted to get more of the superstructure done so I could confirm I could light off and operate the steam plant in its current configuration.  Since laying the boat on its side would make things easier, out it came.  I also needed to put a wedge into the framing to get the smoke stack vertical.

I want to give a shout out to Callie at Callie-graphics.  She did a great job on my Gold on Black Sabino decals.  Took at couple of tries to get our softwares to place nice together but her customer service was great.

http://www.callie-graphics.com/

Ken/Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2016, 05:48:24 pm »

That's "play nice"   >>:-(

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Upper Deck Awning
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2016, 04:02:25 am »

All,

I did not realize that it had been since May that I provided a progress report.  During the summer, I built the upper deck  awning.  There's some fine tuning still to be done WRT the stanchions.  I got this far by Sept before my foot surgery took me down for a couple of months. 

Landlocked.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Railings
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2016, 04:18:35 am »

Even though my wife allowed me to  move the project upstairs to the dining room table, I didn't do much work for two months after my foot surgery.  Minor surgery but major disruption to ones mobility.  Not impressed by the support the medical community gave me in setting up my house.  If anyone has impeding foot surgery, PM me and I'll send you my lessons learned/after action report. 

After several tries, I was able to build the railing for the aft ladder.  Small wooden balls kept shattering.  I was able to find some plastic beads that allowed me to drill some small holes at 90 degrees without shattering.  I built up brass rod and concentric tubing until I got to the 1/8 in thickness.

Some gold metallic acrylic paint substituted for bright brass paint.  Haven't decided whether I'm going to paint the horizontal railings white per current prototype configuration or go with the plan version which is all brass.  I can't get the picture blown up to confirm but I suspect the prototype has fancy rope work painted white and that's not happening.

Landlocked

Next push is the upper deck handrail that will help keep the stanchions aligned and allow me to install and remove the upper deck and its awning as a single structure.

Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
MidWinter Snapshot
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2017, 04:05:49 am »

The good news is my ankle is recovering nicely.  The bad news is that it means it's time to move the project back downstairs.

I did a quick dry assembly to take a progress shot (and to spot issues).

I'll mark the waterline and then it's back to the cellar.

Landlocked/Ken

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2017, 04:51:28 am »

Great Build.

The round ball stanchions that You are using; where did You purchase them?

I have been looking for one's with the pronounced round balls.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2017, 06:29:56 pm »

Great Build.

The round ball stanchions that You are using; where did You purchase them?

I have been looking for one's with the pronounced round balls.

See post 79, this may help.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2017, 12:09:40 am »

Tug,

I bought the beads at HobbyLobby, a huge craft store chain down here.  They have a web presence.

Label data:  "In Bloom" by Bead Design Company Ok City OK -- What looks like the item number is 183541. $2.99 US

I had about a 50% success rate drilling the corner balls, about 75% on the end ones.  Not a big deal since there were 200 in the package.  I ran a rod through the existing hole (e.g., the poles) to help me steady the bead but it's not easy hitting the equator at 90 degrees with a small hand held drill.  The first time I tried to use an awl to create a starter hole, I pressed too hard and shattered the ball.  Used a small rod in the first hole to help me establish the 90 degree rotation for the second hole for the corner posts.

I'd offer to send you my 150 left overs but suspect it would be easier to order for yourself.  Let me know if you can't find them.

Landlocked/Ken

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MidWinter Snapshot
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2017, 09:08:39 pm »

The good news is my ankle is recovering nicely.  The bad news is that it means it's time to move the project back downstairs.

I did a quick dry assembly to take a progress shot (and to spot issues).

I'll mark the waterline and then it's back to the cellar.

Landlocked/Ken

Hi Ken,
You have made a great job of SABINO and that pic sure looks good, a credit to your skills well done, I look forward to the launch.

How is your foot coming along and getting better.

Best wishes . 

George.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2017, 10:51:24 pm »

George,

Thanks for the compliment.  I've disassembled it to move it so it's three big steps backwards in appearance.

Foot is to the walking without limp/pain or even thinking about it stage but I'm not to the jumping up and down part yet.  Thanks for asking.

Ken

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2017, 02:32:42 am »

Landlocked Ken,

Thank You for the insights and Part Number; much appreciated.

I will try that; I have been trying to find pre-built stanchions for my old Steam Tug; yet had not found anything close. Your idea, looks ideal.

Take care.

Tug,

I bought the beads at HobbyLobby, a huge craft store chain down here.  They have a web presence.

Label data:  "In Bloom" by Bead Design Company Ok City OK -- What looks like the item number is 183541. $2.99 US

I had about a 50% success rate drilling the corner balls, about 75% on the end ones.  Not a big deal since there were 200 in the package.  I ran a rod through the existing hole (e.g., the poles) to help me steady the bead but it's not easy hitting the equator at 90 degrees with a small hand held drill.  The first time I tried to use an awl to create a starter hole, I pressed too hard and shattered the ball.  Used a small rod in the first hole to help me establish the 90 degree rotation for the second hole for the corner posts.

I'd offer to send you my 150 left overs but suspect it would be easier to order for yourself.  Let me know if you can't find them.

Landlocked/Ken
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:32 am »

I've added an item to my bucket list.  Learn how to use a rattle can without having sags and runs.   >:-o

Need to let it dry fully to sand...

Thanks, 

landlocked/Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2017, 02:14:25 am »

And add using masking tape to the list. >>:-(

Landlocked/Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Bow Netting
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2017, 12:37:30 am »

Well, there's still some waterline touch up required but to spare my lungs the fumes, I moved on.

So far the netting project seems to be working.  Did the bow section. A lot of snipping with the scissors and CA'ed fingers.

Next project is the two side ladders in the bow.  Will be a lot of fitting and trimming since I had to extend the wingwalls forward a bit.

Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Launch
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2017, 03:01:53 am »

Well, it's been a while.  Not a lot of activity until just recently but winter is here.  15 degrees F this morning.

Sabino has a launch on her deck but not in her plans.  Doing some eyeball scaling, I commissioned an appropriately sized 3D printed whaleboat from Shapeways and added a brass prop from Harbor Models.

Added some strips to bow up the cover and cut one out of light canvas.  Came out acceptable.

Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Stanchions
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2017, 08:54:02 pm »

Merry Christmas,

Some progress forward but some sideways.

Sabino's canopy is not only supported by the posts on the exterior but is also supported by stanchions throughout the middle.  To help keep the assemble together while lifting the second deck and canopy sections together, I decided to use them as tie rods to clamp things.  So, I've threaded rods through some tubes, added some washers to act as bases, and cut the number in half for sanity.

I had horrible luck trying to align the verticals but something about perfect versus good enough -- did I mention sanity?

The step sideways is sheer.  The lower deck reflects the sheer but the  deck and canopy's decks have straightened back out.  I see no good way to force the sheer back into them and be able to lift them off for access to the mechanicals, so, I'll probably add a bit of a skirt between the decks to help hide the shadow line.

Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Safety Netting
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2018, 08:45:31 pm »

Some progress made over the holidays.

One ugly spot on the starboard quarter railing where the clamps slipped and there's a noticeable dip/transition.

I'm also not overly pleased with how well I kept all my vertical lines vertical but it is now what it is it. 

Next step is to make the hand rails and safety netting for the forward ladders between the main and upper decks.  I'll need to use some imagination to create the seam between the ladder railing and the upper railing since the aft portion will be removable.

I also remade the forward jackstaff, to include making it removable.  One quick movement of arm and it had become to two pieces. 

I'm looking for some lighter elastic thread for the guys for the smokestack. 

Landlocked

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2018, 10:44:42 pm »

I think that it looks absolutely perfect but we are our own worst critics.  Netting is a very tricky and difficult thing to get right but you have done a great job  :-)

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Water Tank Fill
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2018, 03:30:40 am »

Got some build time in.  First mini-project was to build an extension for the fill plug for the water tank.  I decided that I didn't want to lift the forward upper deck and perhaps disassemble the front wall every time I needed to top up.

I had built a manhole access for the plug but trying to unscrew the plug and to thread the spout from my lab water bottle into it just wasn't working.  I used a nipple, coupling and soldered a handwheel to the plug to create my stand pipe.

Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Whistle Install
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2018, 04:04:33 am »

Hi,

After much trepidation based delays, I tackled the whistle step.  I wasn't sure if my concept was going to work -- i.e., to run a pressurized pipe up through a deck and canopy that lifted on and off the model after firing the boiler.

The line had to run inside of the heat shield and then outside of the actual stack[size=78%].[/size]

[/size]First decision was how to get the line from the manifold to along side the pipe.  I decided to use elbows instead of just bending it.  Making the nipple between the elbows took two tries and generated the "how to clamp" question in the Steam R&D section.[size=78%]

[/size]Notching the wooden plug that held my upper, tilted stack in place took more filing than it should have -- my jeweler saw skills are lacking but I cut too narrow and not too wide so -- no crisis.[size=78%]
[/size]Fortunately, the upper stack slid between the lower stack and the whistle pipe with minimal wiggling so things were looking good.[size=78%]

[/size]But...there always is one.  My netting work was keeping the after deck section from dropping straight down so I'll have to offset it slightly and then center it.  That means my cutout to clear the wheelhouse was too small and it would only fit with the wheelhouse roof off.  I'll decide down the road which way I want to go -- enlarge the cutout or figure out how to quickly attach the wheelhouse roof.  Here's the overall setup.  First pic has the upper deck assembly resting several inches back on the deck with the heat shield between the deck and canopy clearly visible.  2nd pic shows the whistle piping and lower stack inside the heat shield.  Last pic shows things mostly assembled.  [size=78%]

I'm getting close to sea trials II with the superstructure.  The trial basin has been in operation for about a month.

Landlocked.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2018, 03:34:36 am »

Damn, where has the summer gone?   <*<

I didn't get much of either my fun list or project list done.

I started getting my electronics ready for sea trials II.  My 10 yr old NICAD battery pack had died so now I've upgraded to a metal hydrid.  Broke out and programmed my P105 from ACTION to let me control the throttle and direction with one up/down stick.  Ran into one problem.  My forward/reverse servo/Ch4 was setup in reverse mode.  Dave M from ACTION clued me into reversing leads so up will stay forward.

As I prepared to fill the boiler, I became concerned constantly removing the whistle piping to fill and drain the boiler would eventually lead to thread problems.  After a couple of evenings staring at the problem (while straightening the workshop - but not so much that my wife would notice) the light went off and I changed the elbow to a "T."  Not a lot of room but my syringe will fit.

Hopefully next post will be afloat.

Landlocked.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Pre-light Off Check List
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2018, 12:01:53 am »

Well,

We're not afloat but...

It's always helpful to close the boiler sightglass drain valve before filling the boiler.  As they say in most Navy after action reports of this sort -- no new lessons learned.  >>:-(

Getting closer though.

Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Burner problems
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2018, 08:16:14 pm »

Set the boat up next to the garden pond for some sea trials...
Nice roar on light off and then a minute later --- big drop in the "hiss and roar" --  plugged orifice.  <*< >>:-(

My decision to extend my forward deck house wall to allow for reorienting the burner was wise.  Pretty simple to get to it, but...

Clearly a plugged orifice, no light through the pinhole.  After cooling, I blew through it backwards, I could see light now but there seemed to be a bit of fuzz visible.  After finding a small but not to small piece of copper wire from some stranded wires -- I didn't want to enlarge the hole -- I removed the orifice piece and I probed quite deeply the hole, but I can still see the fuzz. 

Decided to give it another go regardless but every time I tried to light off, I just got a very impressive flame at the top of the chimney.

I need to pickup a gas grill lighter, I went through 2 dozen matches and couldn't get the crack the valve open and light the match (or vice versa) timing quite right.  Must have been lucky in the past.

Well, I've used up my play time.  Back to chores.

Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Burner Problems Still -- Help!!!
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2018, 11:54:12 pm »

All,

I need advice.

As reported, suspected plugged orifice on last attempted light off.

Here's what I've done but I still haven't been able to raise steam properly.  Stalls out at about 25 psi.

1.  Refilled tank -- that seemed to solve my inability to get the flame to pull back to the burner but not a lot of pressure -- No. 10 jet no longer available, Ordered No. 8 jets.
2.  Removed Bix gas control valve.  Moved gas tank forward with short piece of copper tubing to burner -- Ragged flame at burner.  Frequent short blue flames out the slits next to the burner (not the round holes right below the jet).  Incomplete combustion, able to obtain a weak flame at top of chimney with grill lighter.
3.  Removed burner, replaced jet with new No. 8 jet and tested on workbench.  Nice flame extending about 2-3 inches out from burner face with red across the entire burner face.
4.  Installed burner and lighted off.  Encouraging gentle roar but seemed subdued from last good lightoff several years ago.  No flames from side slits but on one occasion, yellow flame from top of jet tube that I blew out.  A little wobble of the jet tube as it fits into the burner tube -- should I be using sealant?
Steam pressure stalled out at about 25 psi after about 10 minutes and could not keep up with moderate throttle setting on my TVR1.  Previously I was able to pop the 60psi safety fairly easily.  Able to hold my hand much closer to top of chimney than in the past -- consistent with reduced heat production.
5.  Reinspected fire tube.  Everything looked nominal.

I'm running out of ideas?  Thoughts anyone?

Ken/Landlocked

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.