Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another keel position question  (Read 12692 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another keel position question
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2014, 04:22:51 pm »

I Know  :-) , the next step is to find a way of locking the fin to the keel at the front, currently there will be another nut that will lock against the nut at the hull, but for the front was thinking of just having a plate that is bolted to the top of the fin and is rotated up and fixing to the fin with another bolt, to act like a catch, this is all a prototype for now, may actually consider plastic welding another fixing point at the bow, but that will definetly mean having to reseal again.

Its sister ship (when I buy it will be simpler.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2014, 04:29:25 pm »

Hello,
I am out of this !!!.
John.  :o
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2014, 09:43:27 pm »

{-), I know it is strange way of doing it, I don't usually build sailing vessels and the fixing point was alright for the original set up, but as that was going to make sailing like a fishing trawl, thought I might change things, but found that all the weight ended up forward of the fixing point.

So after making a decision will stick with it and see where things go - I mean, even the idea of the prop didn't go to plan  {-). she's only been on water twice, both times there was insufficient wind to push her very slow.

Current plans are to look into permanently fixing the sailboard - at 2.5 foot high, the transporter that I will have to build will be strange.

Also she's been sat in the test tank all week and hasn't shown any signs of letting water in, next test is the heel to the right.

In conclusion -  the fixing point is wrong and with a little bit more thought would have been further forward and been direct on centre, the shapes better and less problematic for alterations (no air tank effect), it spinning around hasn't been tried yet, will see how the heel tests go, if it does spin then it is more than likely that it would sink anyway as all the weight will be over the rear and the ineffective prop shaft would allow water in as it passes below the water line - even with grease in. But its all a learning curve - (I want to do two others, a sister and a smaller vessel as completion but will see) - quite chicken to let it go out on water at the moment, always was cautious, lol.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2014, 04:30:20 pm »

Due to ill health and all down to new meds  >:-o , after the vessel has been sat in the test tank for nigh on two weeks now, other than natural evaporation of the water in the tank, she has not budge and decided to start the test, today started the hard heel to the right, the first hour or so, no change, though to be honest this heel is up to the gun ports. Just need to do a 10 minute with gun ports under water, this side of the vessel should be water tight.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2014, 05:14:05 pm »

Well the first heel test to the right went okay, sustained heel to the right, short of the gun ports  :-)) , 2nd test taken to the decks awashed, let some water in about 10 minutes, but not enough to worry about.

I tried the hard heel to the left, and I could not recreate to just short of the gun ports, so went straight to the water just above the bottom of the ports and it took a lot of water on, so the sealing of this side needs to be done. Was expecting this, as this side was always suspect so getting the glue out when I get to the workshop.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2014, 11:45:04 am »

Well its official, its an almost ran, oh it sails ok, by that it didn't sink, moved quite well, considering the wind was patchy, why almost ran - when it sailed fine -- IN REVERSE  {-)

Yep it sails better in reverse than forward, I had little or no control as such, so without more experience its going in the loft to languish, and plans for others is scrapped.

Sorry, as I was on my own and had left my phone in the car, no video or photos.  <:(

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 11:50:24 pm »

@Warspite:

Hang in there!!! RC square riggers are REALLY difficult to sail at the best of times.

The first requirement is a gentle but consistent breeze. swirling or gusting winds make it really hard to work out what you are doing.
Add a pennant on top of the highest mast, this may help to show you where the wind is from on the water

I found an oversize rudder helped a bit, but because the sails are the main source of power and steering you need to get the hang of where to angle the square sails to get it sailing across the wind. You may also need to balance the jibs against the spanker, or else one end of the boat will overpower the other. If you have the facility to furl some of the (higher) sails this may also help with control. 

If it sailed backwards, that is great, that just means you had the sails on the opposite angle.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Also a square rigger will not sail upwind or close to the wind (unlike a Bermuda rig). While a Bermuda rig will sail within twenty or thirty degrees of the wind, with a square rigger, you will at best get it to sail about 70 degrees off the wind, so sailing upwind is a long hard job.

And finally, tacks are also difficult (turning the bow of the boat through the wind) until you get the hang of them; it took me hours of sailing to get one right and even then it remains unreliable. You have to do them a bit like a three point turn with a car in a narrow street - it involves sailing backwards part way through the turn.

For a start, you will find it MUCH easier to gybe (turn the stern of the boat through the wind)

Have another try sometime, they look great on the water....

Amateur at work...

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 01:20:28 am »

I think I read somewhere, that it was not uncommon for square riggers to wear, rather than tack, if the winds were not favourable.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »

%) sorry, being a landlubber and motorised - most of the model boats I sail are powered, so sail is a new thing to me, it did sail (one comfort), it leaned over at one point with a gust - and I nearly had a moment - where trouser would need to be changed, lol.

I had to travel to find a water where there was access all around and early enough not to embarrass myself if the thing went to the bottom, though while retrieving it the crud around the edge gave me concern (and I still have to clean it off yet - where's the marigolds and a disinfectant - oooooooo DDT that'll do nicely - just kidding). most of the places around me are inaccessible but for small fishing platforms, plant life and notorious for weed under the surface - oh and lots and lots of Canadian geese and swans - so tons of crap all over the place.  >>:-(

It was B****y cold as well, so time was restricted - I hate the cold.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2014, 01:31:48 am »

....it leaned over at one point with a gust - and I nearly had a moment .....

Don't be too concerned with a sailing vessel leaning, that is to be expected as the power comes on from the sails when the wind is anywhere but dead ahead or behind. Heeling of 50-60 degrees in a gust should not be unexpected, especially for a small boat such as this one. The weight is primarily in the keel, so it will stand up again once the gust dies off...  As long as it is reasonably waterproof you should have no issues.

As mentioned in an earlier post, try for a gentle but consistent breeze, earlier in the day may help depending on your locations. As for the cold.... a good coat, thermals, gloves, flask of tea or coffee and a tot of rum.... or even two........aaarrrrghhh....
Amateur at work...

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »

ooooaaarrrrghh went more like oooeeerrrrr when it heeled  {-) , of the sides to heel to, it did it the side I am not too sure about.

The other, the right, is known to be definetly sealed, the other was not, but after applying lots and lots of modellers cement I hope it is more watertight, have to disinfect it soon (bird stuff), as summers gone, may leave it till next year.  ;)  or it depends on the weather changing to summer part deux.

Oh and this is a ship of the line don't you know, we hang pirates from the yard arm.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.